Game mechanics... sieging the enemy?

trevalyantrevalyan Join Date: 2002-09-26 Member: 1338Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Will aliens become the new brotherhood?</div>In C&C Renegade, it was a simple matter for relatively weak GDI siege units to block off enemy paths to the front line. After a prolonged siege, the GDI would proceed to build mass amounts of advanced, heavily armoured siege units and lay waste to the enemy installation.

My question is, how well would such tactics work in NS??? Has this been tried in alpha testing yet???

EDIT: Evidently, the stories of the Level 5's are not exaggerated. My new question is, can the Marines handle the onslaught when ALIENS begin using siege tactics??

Comments

• MooMoo_the_SnowCowMooMoo_the_SnowCow Join Date: 2002-08-03 Member: 1057Members
    I'm sorry but I have no idea what you meen by siege tactics in more rts I play siege tactics would be to mass siege weapons then attack there buildings, so I really don't see how you could use siege tactics in NS.

But you are most likely talking about it in a differnt way.

Edit: After reading what you said for the third time i'm not thinking what your thinking is even possible because you cant build a mass amount of heavily armoured siege units because you can't make people you can only have the marines that are on your team and give them stuff.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Join Date: 2002-09-26 Member: 1333Members
    From what I've read, either team certainly has the ability to hold off an assault if they play the game properly. It comes down to a question of not only tactics, but the ability of the other team to think on their feet and react to those tactics. So I guess the answer to your question is that siege tactics are effective if the other team is completely overwhelmed, or if they react to it poorly. It seems, however, that a skilled team will react to those tactics properly and keep the game very interesting. I'm just anxious to see it in action =).
  • QUADQUAD Join Date: 2002-07-17 Member: 963Members
    Really, the Dev team has balanced gameplay mechanics sooooo meticulously that everything done is completley reliant upon the skill of the player/commander. So, while seiging is possible, it would only happen if the commander fo the marines is smart enough to use his RP's right, and the marines able to carry out their orders well. Same thing applies to aliens.
  • trevalyantrevalyan Join Date: 2002-09-26 Member: 1338Members
    I guess without harvesters, sieging will be a lot more difficult. =) (the idea is, not letting the harvester out to the resource collection site) I seem to remember reading about Marines having harvester units... couldn't the Aliens prevent Marines from breaking out of their own base, and keep destroying the harvies to smash the Marine economy??
  • SmokeMastaSmokeMasta Join Date: 2002-04-13 Member: 430Members
    i would suggest reading EVERYTHING on NS
    there r no harvesters only resource nodes (usualy that is where you build your base around) on resource nodes you build a facility that extracts resources from it so there is no car or somthing like that
  • trevalyantrevalyan Join Date: 2002-09-26 Member: 1338Members
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Everything has balance in it.  Siege turrets are extremely effective at curtailing alien expansion, but do not target players and therefore are very vulnerable to attack.  Putting down sentry turrets will improve the life expectancy of a siege turret, but at that point it's a rather expensive investment.  And even then, sentries aren't perfect; they take a little time to lock onto a target, and with patience can be destroyed.
  • humbabahumbaba That Exciting Tales From the Frontline Guy Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 86Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Well . . . while there are no harvesters in NS and you cant build masses of Units, but there are resource towers and you can build a lotta turrets. Siege tactics are possible and have been used to great effectiveness. The key to a Succesful Siege of the enemy is elmination of their Supply. In this case, that is RPs. It would be possible to hunt down every node the enemy has and cut off their supply, though most teams have a tendency to go Hell for Leather right to the enemy base with big guns/claws. However, there have been games where marines  or aliens have been surrounded by turrets and other defensive structures, being sieged and bottled up for a good portion of the game. This is most easily achieved early on, as mid and late game technology contains tools to get around this (Blink, Siege Turrets, Grenade Launchers, Bile Bomb, etc  . .).
         You are right though, to successfully pull off a siege requires something not easily obtained by either side. For Marines: An extremely skilled commander and obediant marines. For Aliens: A GREAT DEAL of teamwork.
         To answer your question then: Yes, siege tactics do work in NS, though the arent used extensively and they arent the only means to winning.

<!--EDIT|humbaba|Sep. 28 2002,09:42-->
  • CMEastCMEast Join Date: 2002-05-19 Member: 632Members
    I dont think Seige tactics are going to work against a good team. In TFC (yes, TFC again) you have to attack the enemy base with technically weaker troops and they always know exactly where you are going to come from and have had lots of practice defending their positions.
    NS will be different with things like vent shafts and much larger bases so you can get to most places in a number of ways. All Ive heard in NS is defending small points, rooms and things like that, Ive not heard of people holding large areas away from the enemy and as someone pointed out earlier, you cant make units, this isnt a game where a massed force can even exist, let alone defend all of the different resource nodes _and_ trap the enemy in so that they cant go anywhere.

Still its an interesting tactic to thinking about in NS at least.
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Oh, siege tactics definitely work.  The best way to do it is to find an off-the-beaten-path vent or corridor that is still within siege range of a hive.  Drop the turret factory, and then the siege in the smallest place you can find.  Commanding once, I took out a hive with a siege, then the aliens rebuilt it, and I took it out AGAIN before they finally found the siege and destroyed it (thanks to Comprox or possibly Greedo for the excellent placement call).

Aliens are also able to siege; they can bottle the marines up by surrounding the base with turrets and defensive chambers.  This both keeps marines at bay and gives attacking aliens - usually level4s at this point - a place near the base to heal up and resume the assault quickly.

<!--EDIT|coil|Sep. 28 2002,10:57-->
  • BattousaixBattousaix Join Date: 2002-06-25 Member: 822Members
    Ns must get on ur nerves a lot......
  • NecroNecro &lt;insert non-birthday-related title here&gt; Join Date: 2002-08-09 Member: 1118Members
    u must remember EVERY unit (especially sieges) have a weakness, in most rts's its lack of close range attack