The Res System Is Balanced For How Many?

2»

Comments

• A_Rabid_SquirrelA_Rabid_Squirrel Join Date: 2003-06-22 Member: 17592Members
    What if there was a giveres system as follows:
    If the giver has more res than the receiver res transfers until they have equal res.
    If the giver has less res than the reciever, only give res to the reciever if it is 25 res or less.
    The 25 res because it is enough to build a few structures, but not enough to allow evolutions to anything except gorge.
    That way people that don't want to gorge can stay ungorged while not hording res for themselves. You won't have any 1 minute onos, and builders can get the res they need to build.
  • gekigariongekigarion Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20172Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--shinzuiski+Dec 1 2003, 10:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (shinzuiski @ Dec 1 2003, 10:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--Ha.ze+Nov 29 2003, 10:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ha.ze @ Nov 29 2003, 10:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I believe that the res flow for aliens should increase by one or two ticks if there are more than 6-8 aliens.  Aliens just cant get off their feet to do anything about what the marines are doing.  If anything, if the game is over 6v6, marines should get (from each RT) 2 res per tick and the aliens 3 res per tick.  The reason the marines need another tick is because the commander still has to outfit his troops, although this is at a later date. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats why before you actually play the game. do these steps.

1. Figure out what you are going to do
    2. Do what you gotta do to achieve your goal.
    3. DO IT.

for 1, what i mean is, if you are planning on ONOSING, get lots and lots of killz. simple as that. if your going to get res towers, get some kills first so you can at least drop 1 OC to protect the res tower.

if aliens get any more res per tick, i will never play ns again, as it will just be pointless and pathetic, if you can onos in under 5 mins with 12 aliens, then im sure u can onos in under 5 mins with 8 aliens.

Marines dont need any more res either. remmember that killz give res to marines also. what i ussualy try do in a game of 8 v 8 or more is get 1 guy to stay at base, and get the rest to camp all the res towers i drop, 1 guy at base can build the stuff i drop. its a perfect and unbeatable tacic unless your team is very very crap.

in a nutshell, niether marines or aliens need more res per click.
    solution: aliens want more res ? go kill
    marines want more res ? protect your damn res towers. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hmm. There's one lightly discussed topic here.

Marine Upgrades vs Kharaa upgrades.

Marine upgrade: With more people, you can get more res faster. With more res, you can research upgrades faster. Research one upgrade in a 10v10 game, and ten marines automatically get 10% stronger. Get 3 DCs for the Kharaa, and each Kharaa has to spend 2 resource every life, in addition to their slower res gain with 10 players. Meaning that 2 res is VERY valuable to them.

Meaning, when the marines have more players, Weapon and Armor upgrades become more and more effective.

While when the Kharaa have more players, MC/DC/SC upgrades become LESS effective.
  • Gold_LeaderGold_Leader Join Date: 2003-06-16 Member: 17403Members
    Its definitely easier to win as Marines in larger games, but with massive teamwork, the aliens can still pull off the win.
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    I played several games yesterday, on two different servers that had 20-22 people playing. Out of about 5 games on the [FAT] server and 4 on the Sons of Metal server, I only saw one marine win. The other games were alien wins from the start, no chance for the marines.
  • TempusTempus Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12540Members
    That can only be because those are pure pubbies playing. If you get a large group of marines who know how to work together, follow orders, and are competently commanded, that would not be the result.
  • XCanXCan Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5904Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--PseudoKnight+Dec 1 2003, 11:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (PseudoKnight @ Dec 1 2003, 11:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Aliens start out with 25 res. The more per side, the more the aliens start out with. The fewer per side, the less the aliens start out with. There are also advantages to the marine team in a game with few players. I think the imbalance caused by extreme numbers of players (10 or less; 20 or more) is overexaggerated. Perhaps the perceived imbalance is caused by pub players who aren't versatile enough to utilize their advantages in such situations. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do you actually read previous posts at all or are you just posting without? Try reading my post on the first page again about the multiple aliens start with more res post.

Now to the rest, if you think large games are still balanced honestly you haven't played enough games.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--XCan+Dec 2 2003, 07:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (XCan @ Dec 2 2003, 07:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--PseudoKnight+Dec 1 2003, 11:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (PseudoKnight @ Dec 1 2003, 11:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Aliens start out with 25 res. The more per side, the more the aliens start out with. The fewer per side, the less the aliens start out with. There are also advantages to the marine team in a game with few players. I think the imbalance caused by extreme numbers of players (10 or less; 20 or more) is overexaggerated. Perhaps the perceived imbalance is caused by pub players who aren't versatile enough to utilize their advantages in such situations. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do you actually read previous posts at all or are you just posting without? Try reading my post on the first page again about the multiple aliens start with more res post. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I read previous posts depending on the situation. Most of the time I do. This time I read only half the first page before responding with my 2 cents concerning the main topic rather than getting into the thick of the conversation. I have little time to discuss imbalances when I obviously see them differently than others. I see them as challenges and drama -- perfectly acceptable in a game.

Your comment about aliens with 25 res doesn't change my unique statement. I still think this perceived imbalance is exaggerated for various reasons including the one you pointed out.
  • MadcapMagicianMadcapMagician Join Date: 2003-04-07 Member: 15265Members, Constellation
    edited December 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--i'm lost+Dec 2 2003, 11:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (i'm lost @ Dec 2 2003, 11:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I played several games yesterday, on two different servers that had 20-22 people playing.  Out of about 5 games on the [FAT] server and 4 on the Sons of Metal server, I only saw one marine win.  The other games were alien wins from the start, no chance for the marines. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's because both of those servers suffer from blatant team stacking and extreme skill differential most of the time.
    I'm not saying they're bad places to play, I play on both occassionally (really good pings), but they are not representative of the "ideal situation" that all our ideas about balance rely on.
    I've personally commed at least a dozen victories on SoM although it was several weeks ago. It's incredibly easy unless the teams are stacked against you. You just have so many marines that there is nothing that can slow you down.

And for psuedoknight, what you said was already covered.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--MadcapMagician+Dec 2 2003, 08:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MadcapMagician @ Dec 2 2003, 08:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> And for psuedoknight, what you said was already covered. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No it wasn't. You just think it has been covered.