Ns_nancy

Mr_niceguyMr_niceguy Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9037Members
<div class="IPBDescription">this has prob been up before</div> What happend to ns_nancy in 2.0 i miss the map and wanna know if its gonna make a comeback again or never coming back again

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    The mapmaker lost the nancy sourcecode in a format or harddrive crash etc, They are remaking it, you can look at that thread in the mapping forum
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    It didn't meet the 2.0 mapping guidelines and couldn't be fixed in time. With any luck, we'll see it again.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Further information can be found <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=43856' target='_blank'>here</a>.
  • The_EpitomeThe_Epitome Join Date: 2003-11-26 Member: 23573Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2003
    We at Skulkrush ported the map into 2.0. You can play in on our UK servers. The IPs are:
    Skulkrush.com NS 2.01 Fun Maps Server|80.254.233.6:27015
    Skulkrush.com NS 2.01 Veterans Server [CD|80.254.233.6:27025

There is a problem with onos - it often requires a bit of jumping and /stucking to get loose, but the map is still very fun and balanced. I don't see why it was dropped to be honest.
    Edit: I know why it WAS dropped, but I heard people saying it was too one-sided.
  • FrikkFrikk Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3164Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--The_Epitome+Dec 2 2003, 04:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (The_Epitome @ Dec 2 2003, 04:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> We at Skulkrush ported the map into 2.0. You can play in on our UK servers. The IPs are:
    Skulkrush.com NS 2.01 Fun Maps Server|80.254.233.6:27015
    Skulkrush.com NS 2.01 Veterans Server [CD|80.254.233.6:27025

There is a problem with onos - it often requires a bit of jumping and /stucking to get loose, but the map is still very fun and balanced. I don't see why it was dropped to be honest. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because if a map requires a second hand plugin, it cannot be considered. Walking around with the Onos was getting me stuck. During the playtests we had MC's litterally covering the map trying to free our Onos'. Nancy was my favorite map bar none from 1.04. I'd absolutely love to have it workable again without the issues.
  • intrikintrik Join Date: 2003-10-05 Member: 21451Members
    you mean, when you put the map into 2.0 you would get stuck? i never got stuck as ono back in 1.04
  • FrikkFrikk Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3164Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--intrik+Dec 2 2003, 04:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (intrik @ Dec 2 2003, 04:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> you mean, when you put the map into 2.0 you would get stuck? i never got stuck as ono back in 1.04 <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's exactly what I mean.
  • KMOKMO Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7617Members
    For the benefit of people who haven't heard it a thousand times before, the problem is that (a) the source for Nancy is lost and (b) it was compiled with incorrect player hulls.

The hulls are used to calculate (at compile time) the allowed movements of the players throughout the solid parts of the map. NS is unusual in having one large player hull - the onos; I don't believe this has been done before in a Half-Life mod, and it caused a number of problems - most obviously getting stuck in walls on various occasions. Each version of NS has improved the handling of the different hulls, but one of these improvements in NS2 made the game rely on the compilation hulls being correct in a way that NS1 didn't. Because of Nancy's incorrect hulls, onos movement is no longer reliable with NS2, and without the source it cannot be fixed simply.

Now, my question. I understand that 3.0 fixes more clipping/stuck issues along with all the hitbox stuff. Do those changes improve the onosability of the origina Nancy, make it even worse, or have no impact? Has anyone checked this?