Why Aren't Custom Maps Played Anymore?

2»

Comments

• godzilla21godzilla21 Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17022Members
    Why Aren't Custom Maps Played Anymore?

Because game balance is completely broken on most custom maps.
    If both teams can secure infinite res from the beginning, the winner is always Marines.

Marine weapons far stronger than v1.04 and much cheaper.
    On the other hand Onos is far more expensive than v1.04 (Onos was 70res in v1.04).

1.04 custom maps need to be remade to keep game balance.
  • Turkey2Turkey2 Join Date: 2003-04-23 Member: 15766Members
    Just about the only chance aliens have is fades now, get em quick do the damage that you can (this is on siege heavy maps of course such as siege or blackmesa) Although eveyrone being able to drop res at the beginning is a great thing too. Although only 1 hive at a time means that your hives arent up soon enough.
  • havenhaven Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8767Members
    I have run custom maps several times on both my servers - all they do is empty the server as 3/4 of the people cant be bothered to download them so they simply go play elsewhere.

Also there aren't that many custom maps for Natural Selection and as mentioned the ones that are available are un-inspiring / buggy / unbalanced or all of the above. Its unfortunate but we haven't got strength in depth in NS mapping yet. Still its a fairly new mod (only a year old) so hopefully some good custom maps will eventually finish being developed.
  • amckernamckern Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14249Members, Constellation
    well ok, fun maps are most of the time that

look at some of the maps that are custom, and people put time into making

my map ury273 took me 4 months, and with lots of play testing, even though rc1 has 2 hives, they are balnced with the rines

amckern
  • Vitamin_LeadVitamin_Lead Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15683Members
    edited November 2003
    Quite frankly i don't like most of the custom maps out there, so I don't really mind. There are some servers that play mostly or only custom maps too. (Although they aren't too great usually.)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    ns_napo is balanced, sometimes more than some official....
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--Freak83+Nov 16 2003, 07:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Freak83 @ Nov 16 2003, 07:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Before 2.0 we used to see custom maps being played all the time, now that's rare to see. Ok I imagine the answer to this is that there's so many good maps now that we don't need custom maps anymore. But what about those short fun ones like siege and the fall maps? Ok jetpacks made those better, now that jetpacks suck it's hard to do those, so I guess I'd like to ask that isn't there any way that if jetpacks are the problem for these maps... isn't there any way that jetpacks can be restored to they're former 1.04 glory JUST FOR THOSE MAPS. Or maybe have an admin command or something that changes the jetpack settings for a map? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The only reason Custom maps were great on 1.xx , was that on the "official" maps, The game was heavily unbalanced. And dramatically stereotyped. As on the custom maps you could basicly evolve what ever you want, or have all the upgrades and choose the weapon you want to use.

On 2.xx, Its hellava more balanced and we dont need Custom maps to have fun.

Besides, having maps that have all 3 hives in same room, or a map which has like 50 RT places, sucks heavily. Its not NS with that kind of map, its like a CS with 16000 cash on start, everyone buys AWP and thats so much fun, isnt it.. (sure theres people who like this stuff, but then again, theres people who say the sun is blue)

Only custom maps i see worth playing are the ones which have the NS atmosphere in them, and there are a pile of those, all you have to do is pop into mapping forum and take your pick.