Help With Server Logging And Bans Not Working

2iDWraithGeN2iDWraithGeN Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14772Members
<div class="IPBDescription">clanmod, Suse Linux, hl 3.1.1.1, ns2</div>Ok, I am having two problems. First of all my clan admins have been banning certain individuals, around 6 people, but the bans are not working. The individuals get kicked but they can return right away. Under my clanmod directory, in the logs directory there is a file named banlist.txt and these 6 individuals are in the list but they are still able to get on the server. Likewise I have added the command cm_banlistfile ../logs/banlist.txt to my cm_settings.cfg and cm_ban... is set to 1. So I cannot figure out why it is not working. Further more, even when I ban the same people from the servers console and use banid and writeid commands, the people are still able to come back.

Really people, any help with this would be greatly appreciated. These banned people keep coming into the server just to create havok while the server admins are not playing.

My second problem is just something that I have no idea how to do. I am wanting to log the server console into files, one file per day. Is this possible? And is it possible to make a file, one per day, of all the people who get on my server and their wonid's/steamid's? Any help or links on this topic would be greatly appreciated also.

Thank you for a good forumn to use, everyone here has been very helpful every time I have ever had a question.

Comments

• DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    I recall having this same problem with ClanMod. Try creating a "banned.cfg" in your ns folder, and at the bottom of your server.cfg type this line,"exec banned.cfg". This will execute the banned config everytime the map changes. Take the perpetrators's wonid from the banlist.txt and put it in this format in the banned.cfg: <b>banid 0.0 wonidhere</b>. This should cure your problem.

As to logging, create an "autoexec.cfg" in your NS folder (if none is there) and add this line,"log on". This will enable logging on your server and give you all the info you want/need.
  • Lightning_BlueLightning_Blue Sunny Domination Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Try checking your banned.cfg file for the wonid's, and make sure <b>exec banned.cfg</b> is in your server.cfg!

Only logging HL supports is 1 log per map. add <b>log on</b> to your startup line, OR the autoexec.cfg, OR the server.cfg file, and the server will generate logs in the logs folder.
  • Rotten_FleshRotten_Flesh Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9203Members
    My ban log doenst work either, i have the file created, but bans dont "write" into it.
  • Lightning_BlueLightning_Blue Sunny Domination Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Oh, forgot an important step:

After you manually ban someone with banid, you have to write the ban with this command:

<b>writeid</b>
  • 2iDWraithGeN2iDWraithGeN Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14772Members
    Thanks again guys for the replies, it has helped.
    '
    I probably dont have the excute in my server.cfg for the banned.cfg, so I will add that. I know how to use the banid, and writeid commands, so I hope this fixes my problem. I will drop a line when I know for sure.

As far as the server logs. Someone in the forum said it will make a log for every map? Does this mean every map generates a new log? or does it mean that everytime ns_eclipse gets logged it will replace an old log file for ns_eclipse. Thank you very much guys for the help so far.
  • DuckDuck Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9195Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--[2iD]Wraith[GeN]+Nov 4 2003, 08:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([2iD]Wraith[GeN] @ Nov 4 2003, 08:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Thanks again guys for the replies, it has helped.
    '
    I probably dont have the excute in my server.cfg for the banned.cfg, so I will add that. I know how to use the banid, and writeid commands, so I hope this fixes my problem. I will drop a line when I know for sure.

As far as the server logs. Someone in the forum said it will make a log for every map? Does this mean every map generates a new log? or does it mean that everytime ns_eclipse gets logged it will replace an old log file for ns_eclipse. Thank you very much guys for the help so far. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Every time a new map is loaded on the server a new log file is created, named by the current date and sequentially. (i.e. L1023003.log would be the third log created on October 23).