Hlds Not Starting

ObsidianAthemeObsidianAtheme Join Date: 2003-01-16 Member: 12360Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Fresh install</div> HLDS Version: 3.1.1.1
Dist: Redhat 9
Kernel: 2.4.20

Fresh install of HLDS, no metamod or anything else.

<!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1--> ./hlds_run -game ns -maxplayers 20
Auto detecting CPU
Using Pentium II Optimised binary.
Auto-restarting the server on crash

Console initialized.
Protocol version 46
Exe version 3.1.1.1
Exe build: 18:20:53 Jul 29 2003 (2469)<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

And then it freezes. It will sit there for hours. I start to cry, and it still sits there. I beg and plead, and still, no movement. I sacrifice my first, second, AND third born - yet, no response.

The HLDS gods have forsaken me. What vile act have I performed to make them feel so apathetically? What horrible actions have I done to wound their pride and honor?

Seriously though, this is annoying. |o: Any ideas?

Comments

• VadakillVadakill The Almighty BSO Join Date: 2002-04-02 Member: 373Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited October 2003
    You need to specify a starting map.
  • AeaAea Join Date: 2003-10-09 Member: 21552Members
    Yes, that's right, you ALWAYS need to specify a map, here's my start line

./hlds_run -game ns +ip 12.254.40.75 +maxplayers 12 +map ns_eclipse
  • ObsidianAthemeObsidianAtheme Join Date: 2003-01-16 Member: 12360Members
    This didn't help, unfortunately. The server also stops taking input at this point; It seems to be waiting on a blocking call of some sort. And idea what it may be?
  • ObsidianAthemeObsidianAtheme Join Date: 2003-01-16 Member: 12360Members
    I did a bit of buggering around and figured out the problem; Apparently, something is wrong with the DNS and it was returning the incorrect IP addresses for the WON master and auth servers and whatnot. Unfortunately the DNS is out of my control, but I added the host names and IP addresses to my hosts file and it seems to be working okay now.

I'm going to go beat someone's head against a wall.

Thanks!