Halo Mapping

MoquiaoMoquiao Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16168Members
<div class="IPBDescription">any programs?</div> hey i figured this was as gooda place as any.. are there any progs for halo mapping? i know nungie has one in progress. but people are churning out custom maps already...

any ideas?

Comments

• SpacerSpacer Invented dogs Join Date: 2003-05-02 Member: 16008Members
    custom maps i think are the product of cache editing, not at all like hammer.
    i'd wait for bungie's toolset
  • bluemanblueman Join Date: 2002-04-09 Member: 399Members
    mm well. Halo PC version is made by Gearbox studios, that is a HL related game company. I heard they where using Max or maya for i dont know what of the maps, i suposse that if theyre not using hammer, theyve got another tool really easy to use as VHE and will shortly release it (if there is any intention on creating a mod scene).
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    You can even use VHE if you want. Do an export to DXF and import it to 3DSMax, delete backfaces and whatnot and texture it. Bungie is releasing a mapping prog, but most of the mapping will be done via 3DS or GMAX.
    Here is a link that has all the Halo mapping info I have found. I know Bungie used MAX to map Halo.
    <a href='http://www.halomods.com/tutorials/Mapping/mapping.php' target='_blank'>Halo Mapping Stuff</a>
  • gooseticklergoosetickler Join Date: 2002-05-14 Member: 615Members
    i thought 3dsmax was the halo mapping prog. There is a Halo exporter from max. Then im sure there are Halo prog's for setting up shaders, compiling, ect.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    I just thought that was cool that you can get geomitry from hammerinto MAX, so theoretically you could use Hammer to make parts of a HALO map
  • gooseticklergoosetickler Join Date: 2002-05-14 Member: 615Members
    i dont see why anyone would want to build a halo level in hammer then transfer it over. Unless you dont know how to use 3dsmax. Just seems like your geometry wouldnt look as good, and you would have to spend a lot of extra time removing backfaces and snaping things together. You might also have problems when you go to uvmap your stuff. Just seems pointless imo, max is a lot more flexable to build stuff in than hammer.
    Agreed, but, for making certain things I can see small benifits in doing it. I would probly just use MAX tho anyway.