Half-life 2 Source Code Stolen

IcecreamIcecream Join Date: 2003-05-02 Member: 16006Members
<div class="IPBDescription">valves securce suX</div> From the Valve Collectiv page:

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well guys, I'm sorry my first news post is on a negative subject, but here it is: the Half-Life 2 Source Code was stolen.

This is not a joke. Nor is it a case of someone getting a copy of the game before it was released. A hacker (or a group of them) actually hacked into vALVE's servers and broke into Gabe Newell's private account. As he talks about in the link below, since 9/11 Gabe has had problems with his computer like keys being messed up and e-mail being screwy, but he was unable to find a virus. Then on 9/19, someone copied the HL2 source code right off their servers.

It seems obvious to me that this is the reason for the delays of Half-Life 2. Even though it seems that vALVE still has everything working for themselves (nothing was deleted), this would no doubt put a damper on many projects that they would have been working on: Anti-Cheat tech being the major one I can think of. Check out my source here: www.hardocp.com, and if you know anything about what has happened, please e-mail valve at helpvalve@valvesoftware.com.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Post your comment!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.