Explosive Ping

Lock720Lock720 Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18762Members
edited September 2003 in Tech Support
<div class="IPBDescription">1000+ out of nowhere</div> Whenever I join an ns server, my ping starts off in the normal range (just under 100) but only for a short while. For some reason my ping will explode to well above 1000 (usually 4000+) every few seconds. I don't have this problem for any other mod. For all other half-life games my ping is stable. I have a cable modem (road runner) and I will list my pc specs below. Except immediatly after joining a server, my loss is zero and my choke is usually zero though it can sometimes be 1 or 2. If you have any idea why this is happening or any suggestions on how to resolve this, please respond.
AMD XP 2600+
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM
Radeon 9100 128 MB DDR RAM
Windows XP Pro

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Except immediatly after joining a server, my loss is zero and my choke is usually zero though it can sometimes be 1 or 2.

what is that except refering to?
    like, right when you join a server your choke and loss will go up?

look at your cvars:
    cl_updaterate
    cl_cmdrate
    rate

compare them to your other mods that 'work'

also, do choke and loss change with your ping jumps?

have you disableed QoSpkt schedular
    (start --> settings(might not be in XP) --> network --> rclick on your active connection --> properties for tcp/ip settings --> disable qospkt schedular)
    Note this prbably SHOULDN'T work (b/c as I remember it mainly works for modems) but try it any way
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    It *could* just be lag spikes in the server. Try going to different servers.
  • Lock720Lock720 Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18762Members
    edited September 2003
    The values for cl_updaterate, cl_cmdrate, and rate are exactly the same for all the mods. What I ment for the choke and loss is that as i join any server for any mod my choke and loss will rise, but drop back done to zero after a few seconds. I don't think non-dialup TCP/IP connections have qospkt schedular, at least it's not there in XP. I doubt it would have helped anyway, because as I said it only happens when I play NS while my connection is fine for any other half-life mod or any other game for that matter. I also doubt it has anything to do with the server because it happens on all servers and I appear to be the only one effected by the lag. Everyone on the server will appear to have less then 100 and I will show has 3000+.
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    does it only happen once per game (or connection)? or does it happen over and over during the round?
  • MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    I am having the same problems and have a comp of around the same levels.
  • Lock720Lock720 Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18762Members
    Sickboy, as I said vaguely in my first post, this lag spike happens every few seconds. Basically the game will seem fine in the beginning, but after about 10 to 15 seconds the spike will occur. The spike length varies, but usually lasts 5 to 10 seconds followed by about 10 - 15 seconds of near normallity. Then the cycle repeats for as long as I'm connected to the server.
  • AvatarAvatar Join Date: 2003-02-13 Member: 13500Members
    I have basically the same problem. My ping will run fine at about 60-100 till like something happens. Then it will just to about 500-1000 from just a large group of people begin to fight or at times just because of complete randomness. On any other mod such as CS or Dod I can run fine through the entire game at a healthy 90 ping with about 75 fps. NS is the only one that does this, and if anyone has an idea what is going on I would like to hear. Thanks