Cooling my computer

StevenViviStevenVivi Join Date: 2002-08-19 Member: 1194Members
i just got a new comp about 3 weeks ago and i opened up the left side of my harddrive and i got heat sink and one fan.  and everytime i leave it on for about 2 hours it feels hot like every comp would so instead of turning it off i get my big ### fan and i put it beside the left side of the hardrive to cool off the #### and well i was wondering if thats ok??? cause i lvoe my computer =D i got it from a store 584 dollars =D

AMD ATHLON 1600+
GEFORCE 2 MX 400 64 mb
20 gb harddrive
128 ddr ram

and one more thing can sd ram and ddr ram mix cause my old comp has 128 sd ram in it and i was wondering if i could put it in my new comp to make my new comp 256 mb of ram and please give me a right answer

thank u for visiting this crappy ### piece of #### poll and thank u for your answer i really appreciate it friend =D

Comments

• richard_of_richardlandrichard_of_richardland Join Date: 2002-05-29 Member: 687Members
    Harddrives can run hot, there isn't that much need to cool them unless there is a problem and also to reduce general system heat if you cool them and exhaust the hot air.
  • StevenViviStevenVivi Join Date: 2002-08-19 Member: 1194Members
    so in other words what im doing is good?
  • NovakoalaNovakoala Join Date: 2002-07-17 Member: 962Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->...and everytime i leave it on for about 2 hours it feels hot like every comp would so instead of turning it off i get my big ### fan...<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This seems to imply that you can only leave a computer on for two hours at a time.

PC's tend to reach peak temperature after 2 hours - they won't get much hotter (unless there's something wrong). Your PC won't burn up or anything - I have left mine on for weeks at a time with no ill effects (except for a larger than usual electricity bill). A PC is designed to remain on for long periods.
  • pielemuispielemuis Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 72Members, NS1 Playtester
    *cough* laptop *cough*
  • NovakoalaNovakoala Join Date: 2002-07-17 Member: 962Members, Constellation
    Have I missed something here?

<scratches head>
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOo i see is it possible to mix up ddr ram and sd ram and thanks for the reply bro
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Join Date: 2002-04-30 Member: 552Members, Constellation
    NO! It is nowhere near possible to run DDR and SDRAM together.

Oh, and what you can do, is take one of your system fans and splice the wires to, say, a 120mm Computer fan that blown onto your key parts, after cutting a hole in the side of our case to mount the fan onto.
  • DruBoDruBo Back In Beige Join Date: 2002-02-06 Member: 172Members, NS1 Playtester
    Also, try to keep it somewhat cool in the room where you're using the computer. I don't have air conditioning myself, so I have 2 fans running at all times near my computer during the summer to keep it from overheating.
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Join Date: 2002-04-30 Member: 552Members, Constellation
    One guy I knew hooked up a 5000 BTU air conditioning unit to his comp.... that kept it cool.
  • yesukaiyesukai Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 464Members
    You cant mix ddr and sdram, sorry.

I leave my comp on 24/7, no prob. The processors about 130 degrees most of the time.
  • GwahirGwahir Join Date: 2002-04-24 Member: 513Members, Constellation
    I once heard of a special tower that had freon loops running through it.
    damn i run one fan on the left side of the harddrive which is open and the right side is closed so should i put a fan there also? to keep the case cool cause im too lazy to bring my fan upstairs

and ddr ram is expensive 57 bucks =((( i could buy unreal 2003 with that money