Steam And Servers

DEADscottDEADscott Join Date: 2003-03-29 Member: 15022Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Has any one go it.......</div> Does anyone have the info on getting STEAM on an NS Win server yet?

I rent a server for our community. If WON goes offline in the next few days I would like to be able to switch our server over to STEAM. I see some NS STEAM servers out there, but they are all empty. Does this mean they are not working correctly?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

Comments

• SiliconSilicon Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13683Members
    I think it's just the simple fact that steam causes problems for some people and most people prefer the won system.
  • DEADscottDEADscott Join Date: 2003-03-29 Member: 15022Members, Constellation
    Won will go offline very soon, we have no choice in the matter.
  • DEADSilent-ErsErDEADSilent-ErsEr Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7158Members
    scott i am tring as i type to launch a ns server at home to see what plugins and other chit will and will not work .. tring to work the bugs out before you need to switch it ...from what i see i cannot even get a ns one going off the dedcated launch it does not show in the games window of the gui and a short cut launch with the -game ns in the target gives me a steam not running error
  • ZdroneZdrone Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3914Members, Constellation
    I slapped one up a coupld of days ago and have seen people log on. I have not connected myself (in the hell that is Oregon on dial up).

I should be able to get on tonight to test it out.
  • G_I_JoehosaphatG_I_Joehosaphat Join Date: 2003-02-03 Member: 13068Members
    We got our server working with Steam, including adminmod and the new STEAM ids. Of course the server is currently still running the WONID version until this weekend, so peope have time to transition.

It was a fairly simple process to get up and running.

Install Steam. Update HLDS.
    Copy ns directory with files over to the new steam HLDS install.
    Update the adminmod DLL for compatable STEAMID usage.
    Run server!

G.I.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I wish the client was as easy to get working as the server :/
    I took 5 mins, registered my email, then updated these:
    "valve" hlds, no games
    "hl" half life I think (could be hldm)
    "dod" Day of Defeat
    "cs" Counterstrike

My server was up and running in about 2 hrs (most of that was downloading dod)
    AdminMod and Metamod didnt require anything, and CDmod worked fine too
  • cracker_jackmaccracker_jackmac Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6891Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2003