Phase Tech

SpetzSpetz Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7100Members
<div class="IPBDescription">why do comms never get it?</div> I have played a lot of 2.0 games on the marine side, and hardly ever do comms seem to get phase tech until much later in the game. I see phase gates as the single most useful marine structure and should be researched right at the start of the game, before gun upgrades. The effectiveness of having your marines being able to get to a key location on the map "at the speed of light" cannot be underestimated...i've seen marine teams lose won games because of lack of phase gates to the two hives the comm put turret factories in. :/

IMO, comms should build 2 ip, armoury, obs, research phase tech and then go for RT and a hive. THEN weapon/armour upgrades. WHat does everyone else think?

Comments

• ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    OMG tehy is evolving captain
  • Kid-AKid-A Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10908Members
    edited August 2003
    Well I try to make a PG the first thing that goes down in any location I'm trying to hold. So I research it asap.

Its tactical advantage is more than any other upgrade. I mean it balances the marines main weakness (speed) against the aliens abilities. PG's are also a good way toget people to stick together. If you put a waypoint people tend to arrive it dribs and drabs as soon as a PG is up they all go together.

What does ZIGGY's post mean? :/
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    I won't research phasegates unless I plan on fortifying something far from base. I generally prefer a more mobile, aggressive strat. Whenever I change my mind, I hit the research.

If you're going to turret up an area somewhere, it's rather silly to not build a phase gate. A gorge (or really anything other than a skulk) can take out a fairly defended TF faster than marines can walk to a hive.
  • Turkey2Turkey2 Join Date: 2003-04-23 Member: 15766Members
    phase right off the bat might be a bit too soon, might wanna get those first couple res nodes first.
  • TonstarTonstar Join Date: 2003-08-16 Member: 19798Members
    hmm I wanna try this strat, but not exactly like you do maybe first go for double res (if on map) then set up phase there
    then after that go for a hive then 1 rez node, then take over one of they're rez nodes, then go for hive so on so forth, like that then set up PG's at they're old hive locations so it's easy to move around the map
  • p4lp4l Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17461Members
    edited August 2003
    I urge all marines to start things like this.... I've lost 1 out of 6 games doing what I call "teching" but in reality is just NOT TFing everything. You can get HAs really fast, or max ugprades really fast, you can get phases and MT like lightning if you just don't TF until late game. I even did a hive and 2res lockdown this morning with NO tf, just phasegates and level 1weapons/2armor shotguns.

It's not as safe a win as good TF'ing, but it's SO much more fun, it's also alot closer to how I think the game was intended to be playing. In other words, if this was a pure RTS, the non-comm players would be the actual fighting units, not the drones building defense... It also results in those fabled 15-20 minute games that aren't shotgun rushes.
  • MintmanMintman Join Date: 2003-05-30 Member: 16866Members
    What I like to do is build IP, TF (elec), armoury and a few turrets. Move out about 1/2 your marines, cap a res or two and make your way to a hive. Get TF and an obs at the hive. This stops sneaky building into the hive under your nose, make your team stay there, research phase tech, get one up either end and then tech up as quick as you see fit.
  • SpazmaticSpazmatic Join Date: 2003-05-10 Member: 16184Members
    Phase rushes are a choice, amongst others. For example, the motion tracking rush (which is popular) pretty much prevents a phase rush, for a while anyways, since to get the res for two phases and the research takes a while.

However, comms often neglected phase tech when they, in fact, plan to research it, because it's easy to mix. Until someone calls for a phase gate, it's easy to say, "Hey, my marines are dying, so let's get more weapons/armor upgrades!", and only later realize the mistake (I've done this before).
  • SpetzSpetz Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7100Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Mintman+Aug 20 2003, 03:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Mintman @ Aug 20 2003, 03:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What I like to do is build IP, TF (elec), armoury and a few turrets. Move out about 1/2 your marines, cap a res or two and make your way to a hive. Get TF and an obs at the hive. This stops sneaky building into the hive under your nose, make your team stay there, research phase tech, get one up either end and then tech up as quick as you see fit. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah but mintman once you've done that and built a TF and four turrets at the hive you plan to secure, the aliens rush it and take down the TF and the turrets and you're left with nothing but a res hole because your marines can't get there fast enough to save it.

What you do before building a TF is build a PG in the hive and base, once the PG is up the position can be reinforced and your whole team (theoretically) can be there instantly.

Compare that with how long it takes one marine to build a TF and 4 turrets with the time it takes for a marine to build a phase gate (roughly the same time as building a TF) and 4 marines to phase through AND the res cost.
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    edited August 2003
    To be honest most maps don't require phases. And then you've to take into account that a successful shotty rush off the bat will end the game without any need for tech.

Another tip - recycle obsolete phases. Saves you some res and means your men aren't hopping around obsolete phase areas.
  • SpazmaticSpazmatic Join Date: 2003-05-10 Member: 16184Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Another tip - recycle obsolete phases. Saves you some res and means your men aren't hopping around obsolete phase areas. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Whenever my heavies need reinforcements, I have them build a phase, have the new heavies phase through to back 'em up, and then I recycle it. Fairly cheap in the long run, and fast.
    OK it seems this needs a bump...

I a few recent games I've seen the first structure to go down when securing a position a TF! A PG is almost always a better investment. Even including the tech time + cost!

To illustrate this I did a survey on CoFR with the question: How many turrets = a LMG marine? Most people said about 5 and this sounds reasonable. One marine in a long hallway can easily be shrugged off by an onos, likewise with 5 turrets. 2 marines however <b>should</b> generally cause a redemp as will 10 turrets. (Although its still a rough estimate that does not hold entirely, so don't moan about the comparison)

So as a comm ask you self this, should you secure a location with 25 turrets for 265 res or 5 marines for 15 res? I think it's obvious which is best.

To some up: USE PHASE GATES!!!!
  • XzilenXzilen Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11642Members, Constellation
    I always use it, when I get it is another story, as I don't like letting everyone know my comming build orders that much.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Xzilen+Sep 4 2003, 03:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Xzilen @ Sep 4 2003, 03:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I always use it, when I get it is another story, as I don't like letting everyone know my comming build orders that much. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Any particular reason?
  • MithStriferMithStrifer Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8587Members
    PG's are so usefull, you can't stress how many times they will save a base under attack or just transporting in general.
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    What about when a regen onos jumps on top of the pg?
  • StarludeStarlude Join Date: 2003-09-05 Member: 20576Members
    station a guard. May be a problem in a smaller game, but if your in a 11 person game (1 comm, 10 marines), station a single guard with a LMG behind the structures in a position where he can easily see incoming enemies. This guy (especially if equiped with a mic) can scream ONOS ONOS ONOS. With a TF and sentries to help him. The onos first needs to jump over the sentries to hit the TF, secondly needs to jump over the TF to kill you, if they decide instead to stand on the PG, they have both sentries AND an LMG shooting at them. Even 50 bullets from an LMG hurt, and you can only stand on that PG for so long... It also prevents the "cloakwalk" assualt. The aliens will have to try to kill you (thus revealing themsevles to sentries and that they are on the PG). Usually if it's a skulk, then it is dead. If it's an onos, you may indeed be in trouble =).

The lesson: Guard > TF farm + eletrification + PG

Guard + TF farm + eletrification + PG = VERY hard to take position. (this is assuming the guard is at least decent and understands all of this).
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    When the onos appears and rushes the TF, gores/charges it and then redeems, what do you do?

Weld the tfac back up? Send a guard to cover the first guard who's welding? What happens if your team are busy elsewhere?

Its been pointed out in another thread that building a base round a pg is an investment that you are forced to protect. IMHO there should never be a situation where you have to hold a PG/TFarm - you should never be in the situation where aliens are on attack.

They can destroy a lamed up base at endgame, so rest assured they can smash up anything you build anywhere. Don't rely on turtling if you intend to win against competent aliens.
  • HolzfallerHolzfaller Join Date: 2003-08-31 Member: 20418Members
    Pg are not an immedite need in my comm strats, but they often come in to play after I have a res node or 2, so I end up with a phase for every hive plus my base and double res (if I control0 it). I am a believe that turrets get to expesive to be the only anwser in my defensive stratagems.

And I LOVE it when some rambo who knows what he is doing sneaks into a poorly defended hive and builds a pg. It doesn't always work (I play mostly on pub severs) but its entertaining at the very least.