Bandwidth

Sgt_Bilko1Sgt_Bilko1 Join Date: 2002-02-02 Member: 150Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Just some numbers.</div>After taking averages for about a month with a bandwidth monitoring utility on my PC, I computed a bunch of numbers that future server admins might find usefull if they are limited to the amount of bandwidth they can use on a monthly basis.

HL mods tested with:
Counter Strike
Day Of defeat
Firearms
Global Warfare

Each game was played for 6 hours over the course of a month at peak hours in the U.S. EST. (between 5pm-11pm)

Numbers generated as a player:
Average amout of bandwidth used per second: <b>2.8 KB</b> Download and <b>1.8 KB</b> upload
Average amout of bandwidth used per hour: <b>10.08 MB</b> Download and <b>6.48</b> Upload

What this would mean for a server admin: (For sake of example lets say it's a 14 player server)
Upload bandwidth needed per month: 94832.64MB or 95GIG (10.08 X 24 X 7 X 4)
Download Bandwidth needed per month: 60963.84MB or 61GIG (6.48 X 24 X 7 X 4)
Total per month: 155796.48MB, or 155GIG

Now, these numbers are a good reference, but they are impossible to reach, they are pretty much the average amount of bandwidth you would use IF your server was packed 24/7 for a month, which is unrealistic. In my experience you can usually cut 2/3's or 3/4's off of that number to account for peak and offpaek times, in some cases possibly cut it by 1/2. So, for a 14 player server you would probably need somewhere around 80-100 gigs of bandwidth a month.

Comments