Is Webbing Bugged?

AposApos Join Date: 2003-06-14 Member: 17369Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Or is it just more complex?</div> Simple issue I'm not sure about: a lot of times I come into a game late, with 3 hives already up (though this still happens sometimes when I've been there the whole time). I go gorge, thinking that I'm going to web up an area. But for some reason, though the weapon fires, and there is even a hit decal, no webs are made. This seems to happen more often near marine-held outposts, but sometimes it happens in random, alien controlled areas as well.

So...

Is there some sort of limit on how many webs a gorge can make? (reasonable, if so)
Is there some sort of protection against nearby webbing provided by certain marine structures? (again, reasonable, if so, though buggy)

And if so, if this is not a bug, but a feature, then I have to request that something be put in that alerts you, as a gorge, that webbing wont work. It's frustrating to have it not work, but not be given any visual or audio, or even autohelp guidance on why not, or where it works and where it doesn't. When I shoot a web ball that isn't going to do anything, I need some sort of feedback about why.

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Join Date: 2002-06-12 Member: 759Members
    You can only place so many webs per area (like the chamber limits). You can only have so many webs per map round. There is a known bug that if you have your alien "flashlight" on, webs will not show when made until you leave the area and come back, but they are still made and work.
  • AposApos Join Date: 2003-06-14 Member: 17369Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You can only have so many webs per map round.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is this per gorge, or for every gorge out of a common pool? Per gorge would be better, though I guess it could be abused. I agree that there must be SOME limit.

However, as I said, if it's a feature, I would at least like to see some feedback in the game. The best fix would be if there was a HUD element that appeared when you switch to webs that showed how many strands are allowed/left.
  • uberbrokeuberbroke Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2438Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Apos+Aug 29 2003, 04:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Apos @ Aug 29 2003, 04:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You can only have so many webs per map round.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is this per gorge, or for every gorge out of a common pool? Per gorge would be better, though I guess it could be abused. I agree that there must be SOME limit.

However, as I said, if it's a feature, I would at least like to see some feedback in the game. The best fix would be if there was a HUD element that appeared when you switch to webs that showed how many strands are allowed/left. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    the web limit accounts for the entire alien team.
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the web limit accounts for the entire alien team. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Makes sense, sort of (limits the total amount of web spam, rather than being dependant on gorges), but it's a little irritating for some gorges to not have a level 4 weapon at all: webs are useful in combat to web up a marine that's about to destroy you.
    It sucks switching to web at the last minute to save yourself, and without any warning at all, finding out that it does nothing: just because of what your teamates did earlier in the game.

Again: feedback is key.
  • EplekongenEplekongen Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8915Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Apos+Aug 29 2003, 07:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Apos @ Aug 29 2003, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the web limit accounts for the entire alien team. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Makes sense, sort of (limits the total amount of web spam, rather than being dependant on gorges), but it's a little irritating for some gorges to not have a level 4 weapon at all: webs are useful in combat to web up a marine that's about to destroy you.
    It sucks switching to web at the last minute to save yourself, and without any warning at all, finding out that it does nothing: just because of what your teamates did earlier in the game.

Again: feedback is key. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It would suck to have the whole map covered completly in webs, firstly, many severs would not be able to take it and crach secondly, it would ruin a game.
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It would suck to have the whole map covered completly in webs, firstly, many severs would not be able to take it and crach secondly, it would ruin a game. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We already covered that.

The question is whether its right that other gorges can steal my alotment of webs, especially when I need them for fast action in battle. I'm not saying no limits, just limits that allow each gorge to be allotted at least a few webs for their own tactical usage, regardless of what the rest of the team has done. Say, 20 web strands in total, and then after that, each gorge gets five more apiece.

A HUD count of remaining webs would be very very helpful, as would feedback that you've hit the limit.
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    also if you placed your webs strategically (like you always should) than the marines will constantly run into them thus making the more webs you can make larger (you know cause if the marines start running em over and gettin stuck than you can remake more webs).... it just makes you think smart about placing webs...

i think limit is 60 strands
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->also if you placed your webs strategically <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But I don't always get to pick at all. My main beef is that I can be entirely locked out of my level 4 weapon through no fault of my own. We might as well not have a third hive if other gorges have been stupid and webbed a faraway hive... when I need my webs as a battle gorge on the frontlines.

That's why a more flexible limit (first a total limit, then a personal limit after that) would both limit the amount of webbing and allow battlegorges to have a level 4 weapon ready when they need it.

Even if that doesn't happen, a HUD readout and/or special alert when you run out of webs would be nice.
  • civman2civman2 Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6116Members, Constellation
    play on a server where people know there is a web limit and plan accordingly.

Many clan servers are full of good players. If the games on three hives and you don't win in 5 minutes...
  • XodlikeXodlike Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16985Members
    although it can be what those guys said for some reason u cant web when ur hive sight is on (F) is default i dunno it just dont let u.. bug or on purpose?
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    you prob wont like me to say this but gorges arent supposed to be that close to rines unless its an unmarked squad, in silent, or a rambo..... dont be a battle gorge and rush in... Webs are mainly used for defense but in those extreme emergencies of a hive attack taht is when you use web as a 'normal' attack so you can get rid of them quickly.....

like civ said just go on a server where people know there is a limit... and count how many webs you spit out and tell the people so than you can get a rough estimation of how many webs you got left

nukeaqua: bug
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    I tend to use webs at OC nests, on ladders, that sort of thing. V handy for making rines totally vulnerable to attack.
  • fo_sheezy_my_neezyfo_sheezy_my_neezy Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10768Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--briguy992+Aug 29 2003, 06:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (briguy992 @ Aug 29 2003, 06:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i think limit is 60 strands <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    whoa, is that an arbitrary number? I'm almost positive it's more than that, though I've never seen an official number. I know they raised the number between 1.0x and 2.0 though, so the total limit is pretty high. Apos, my guess is either you had a few retarded gorges on your team, or the strands just weren't showing. I hardly ever see my strands, but marines still run into them so I know they're there. if you want to know if you're out of web for the entire team, turn on your autohelps (cl_autohelps 1, might be autohelp, I can never remember), and try to shoot a strand or two, it'll tell you that the team has reached it's web limit.
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->like civ said just go on a server where people know there is a limit...<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is pretty dumb advice. Of course we'd all love to play on servers where everyone is perfect, but it just doesn't happen. The game itself should be designed to inform people as seamlessly as possible about what they can and cannot do, and it shouldn't be premised on everyone being in the know about every undocumented (in the game) feature. Making pub play fun is just as important as making clan play polished and complex.
  • aegixaegix Join Date: 2002-08-31 Member: 1256Members, NS1 Playtester
    You know how to place webs, right? It's more than just simply clicking on an area. The first hit is the anchor point for the strand, the next hit is the second anchor point, and so on until you run out of webs or there is something blocking the path between two anchor points.

Sorry if you knew this already, but a lot of people don't know the method to webbing and mistake it as a bug when they cant place any.
    Yes, I know how to place webs. Doing it well is very important to protecting yourself from roving marines.

When I say battlegorge, I don't mean running into their base. I mean, building chambers on the front lines, and supporting your teammates as they engage the enemy. Being able to web effectively if you are put in danger is one of the most important defensive manuvers a gorge has. There have been many times a lone marine has come up on me, and I only survived because I was able to web him and either get away to safety or to take him out myself.
  • Pr0phecyPr0phecy Join Date: 2002-04-04 Member: 381Members
    There is a limit of 36 webs i think,i read it somewhere before...On a few servers i know some just **** gorges that maximum webbed eveywher on stupid spots (walls and such,and vents that marines coudnt even get into) so he wasted 36 webs i think and no one else could make a web....That just sucks,10 webs per gorge = good
    A limit per gorge would cause the problem of too many gorges making too many webs. I'd rather have a team limit, after which each gorge then has a small amount of personal webs beyond that.