Chamber Wars

BlackMageBlackMage [citation needed] Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17474Members, Constellation
edited August 2003 in Kharaa Strategy
<div class="IPBDescription">end it</div> the newest entry into the officiall Natural-Selection dictionary by Black Mage:
Chamber-War (Cham'ber-Wôr)
<i>n.</i>

a) A state of open, often prolonged conflict carried on between players, about the most effective chamber.
b) The period of such conflict.
c) The techniques and procedures of such conflict; gaming science.
a) A condition of active antagonism or contention: a war of chambers.
b) An effort or campaign to combat or put an end to something considered injurious: "wrong" chambers.

This has carried on too long, chambers vary by tactics, tactics vary by maps. Im sorry, but theres to-bloody-much of it and im sick of it. If you have to babble about "sensorys give you cloak and they cant see you" or your "movements give you silence and you cant ping an silenced alien" or your "regen makes you invincible" take it somewhere else. Im sorry if im taking the mods job but this is just annoying. And to the mods: can we have a new area, specifically for this crap?

Comments

• RedmonkeyRedmonkey Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8052Members
    I agree if, if two players continually argue about it in a n00bular way. But an argument about which one to start off with IS, in my opinion, just fine as long as the gorges decide on a chamber and get it down in the first minute or so.
  • DeaconDeacon Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9852Members, Constellation
    I personally find stories about "I built X in location Y on map Z and this is what happened..." to be far more useful than blanket statements like "chamber A is worthless, chamber B rox0r!"

In the first case, one can apply some critical thinking and hopefully learn something. And it takes one two minutes to read the post, reconstruct the events in one's head, and play through the scenario. Rather than an hour to try it out in-game.

Conversely, blanket, dogmatic statements teach one nothing. At best, they teach one how to borrow strategies from other people without understanding why they work. Which is the same mass-produced strategic "thinking" that brought us endless JP/HMG rushes in 1.04.
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    It's hard for bad things to come from intellectual discussion. There has definitely been a lack of intellectualism in a few places, but does that justify ending the discussion? It's not like no good at all comes from them. You just have to wade thru a lot of junk, spam, and flames to find the useful nuggets.
  • SinSpawnSinSpawn Harbinger of Suffering Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8359Members
    Agreed, no more talking baout "This chamber is better"

More kharaa tactics please.

I.E some one really should make a overview map of where to place the best positions for an OC ambush (for gorges, duh)
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    S>M>D order is still highly unadvisable when in a hive lockdown situation. We had to strike in groups of 3 onos multiple times to destroy the 2 TFs of the fortified SubSector hive in Veil... this 3on3 game took ages to finish , fortunately they weren't able to do much harm even with GLs and shotguns.
  • Clan_HunterClan_Hunter Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7499Members
    Offense Chamber is the best. End of Story.
  • GREENEGGSANDHAMGREENEGGSANDHAM Join Date: 2003-04-25 Member: 15836Members
    cloaking/silence/regen?

its more like scentoffear/celerity/carapace

if we're talking hive 1 and btw sensory is a joke
  • Wookie_nookie_is_the_best_nookieWookie_nookie_is_the_best_nookie Join Date: 2003-08-18 Member: 19932Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->sensory is a joke<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Green eggs and ham, this is the kind of stuff that black mage was warning us about. Some bonehead sees this, decides he doesnt like it, and we get a chamber war and then a flame war. I agree, it should end here.
  • SoulSpawnSoulSpawn Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 19002Members
    I personally dont care much DC MC SC all the same u can use them differently MC use speed or silence DC use cara or regen SC scent of fear or or (one of the othere SC traits). if marines are good they can counter any chamber so dont worry counter of DC is weapon upgrade MC is MT and SC MT as well. if u ever see a obs moving kill it. good sign it a MT upgrade.
  • KizKiz Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7236Members
    I honestly don't care what upgrades I get access to, and if I go gorge before we get any upgrade chambers up I'll ask the team what they want.

Though, there's something to be said for sensory chambers hidden in the less marine-accessable portions of a map...
  • StoneburgStoneburg Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8174Members
    You can't counter someone moving at twice the speed.
  • SnidelySnidely Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13098Members
    As long as I get MC first, I don't mind as much about the second hive (although I'd prefer DCs). I find that SCs are better for the lower lifeforms, DCs are better for the higher ones, but they all benefit a great deal from MCs.
  • KrytosKrytos Join Date: 2003-08-19 Member: 19988Members
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T TURN THIS INTO A CHAMBER WAR!!!!!!!!

That is exactly what BM, and many others, are sick of. All chambers have Good and Bad things about them. Which chamber to drop depends on a thing called PERSONAL PREFERENCE, or maybe PERSONAL SKILL! Sometimes, it depends on the Marines Skill, and Tactics. Sometimes, it depends on the Map. Whenever I'm gorge, I'll ask the Team what they want. How am I supposed to know which chambers they like. Usually I recieve alot of "I don't care" with one person finally naming one then everyone else going "Yea, that sounds good." Please stop these Chamber Wars, they get no where. They should be considered spam, and deleted as such.
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    The one good thing about 1.04's DMS order was that there was very little debate about the chamber order, besides a few people that were looked at as being strange.
  • Insanity_GizmoInsanity_Gizmo Join Date: 2003-05-05 Member: 16072Members
    The whole point of the differing orders of chambers is to customize the way you play Aliens. That's one of the things that makes NS so great: flexibility. Obviously, you as a player, have to be flexible also, and to make the best of it. If you want a fixed order like D>M>S, go ask the admin to hardcode it. Or better yet, have the game randomly decide on one chamber for you. If that's what it takes to prevent someone from yelling at me for 10 minutes for not putting up the chamber they and only they wanted, I'll gladly endorse it.
  • sejsej Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12488Members
    its the people who put down sens down first without consulting the team just cos they want marines to fall into their deathtrap of 1 cloaked oc, that really **** me off.

its a team game, thus discuss with ur team about which chamber.
  • BlackMageBlackMage [citation needed] Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17474Members, Constellation
    the defenittion of irony please?

Stakhanov, congrats you at least gave some evidence

GREENEGGSANDHAM, Snidely: this what i was talking about...
  • wiegiemanthegreatwiegiemanthegreat Join Date: 2003-05-10 Member: 16200Members
    Hey all. i dont really post much, but i gotta say this:

[SIZE=14]FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! STOP ARGUING!!!!! IF A GORGE WANTED TO USE HIS RES FOR YOUR UPGRADES, BE HAPPY!!!