Keeping Your Sidearm

FergusonFerguson Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19270Members
Hey,

First off I'd like to say I love NS. It's by far the best game for Half-life I've played, its awsome.

The only thing I don't like is how you auto lose your Sidearm when you step on a welder. Personally I perfer my Pistol, it saves my life a lot, but whenever I go into the bases to get more ammo/health I need up auto picking up a welder that the commander has dropped.

Is there a command to stop this? If not would it be possible to add one in later verisons?

Thanks!

Comments

• VoodooFragVoodooFrag Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10827Members
    A solution:

1. Make sure "drop weapon" is bound do to a key before you start playing.
    2. Chuck the unwanted weapon away, or at someone else.
    3. Pick your old gun up.

... or alternatively you could do something useful with it. Weld structures. Weld other people's armor. Weld vents shut. Weld doors open. The welder is <i>essential</i> for holding bases or deploying heavy armor. It's also a better melee weapon than the knife.

Mmm.... that reminds me: Why <i>does</i> the welder replace the pistol instead of the knife?
  • XCanXCan Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5904Members, Constellation
    Voodoo: Probably balance issues.
  • DiablusDiablus Join Date: 2003-03-31 Member: 15080Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--VoodooFrag+Aug 9 2003, 04:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (VoodooFrag @ Aug 9 2003, 04:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Mmm.... that reminds me: Why <i>does</i> the welder replace the pistol instead of the knife? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    because when welding your suppsoed to be semi vulnerable by yourself, sure u have a lmg or hmg or w/e but the fact that u dont have 10 bulelts that can save your life not there does make u alittle less vulnerable in combat, and the knife is small, light, and easy to carry, a pistol is bigger, heavier and requires some holder that the welder replaces, thats all
  • VoodooFragVoodooFrag Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10827Members
    Would you <i>ever</i> use the knife if you had the welder?

I'm sure "balance issues" is the right answer - the only sane reason I came up with is so you <i>don't</i> have the pistol.

Ah wait, I have another one: You still have a melee weapon if you give the welder away.