Commander Keys

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
Since 2.0, the commander implementation uses cl_cmhotkeys "qwerasdfzxcv" such that you can use the first 4 letters (qwer) to select items in the first row of the lower-right equipment menu. The second four letters are used for the second row and the last four letters for the last row. This is all good and fine, but it does create limitations as to what the commander can do at a specific time.

First, one thing I especially liked in 1.04 was to be able to bind the 'h' key to drop health. Since the hotkeyXX system seems to have been removed, this is no longer possible. It is also not possible to bind h to do something like hit-the-e-key, then wait, then hit-the-s-key which is what would also allow a single-key health drop. A solution to this would be to reimplement the old hotkeyXX system or use something similar.

Second, whenever I am in the middle of dropping something, but decide I don't want to actually drop it now, I have to hit the cancel button (or hit its hotkey). It is perfectly fine to have the cancel button there, but when the comm chooses an item from the first row (that is q, w, e, or r), it should automatically know that he is choosing a menu item, and shouldn't just sit there acting stupid. Instead, it should auto-cancel dropping whatever I was dropping and then select the item in the equipment menu that was chosen.

Third, and this has been mentioned before, but should be mentioned again. The recycle hotkey should NEVER, EVER be the same as the cancel button which is used so often. There should be a specific button for recycle separate from all other buttons. In fact, it should probably be able to have its own entry in the cl_cmhotkeys list which is separate from cancel.

Fourth, although not extremely important, people should be allowed to use special keys (like tab, etc) to bind comm commands to if they want. If I want to bind ESC or Enter to my comm cancel command, I should be allowed to do so. A possible way to implement this would be to have a different bind (e.g. cl_cmRow1Col1) for each of the various equipment menu rows/columns.

Comments

• Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4340Members
    One thing, I don't think there was ever a one-key way of dropping ammo/health, or at least not one that I could ever figure out. The hotkeys were very, very finnicky.
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    I had one-key hotkeys. Once you get used to the commander interface and the default hotkeys it should be real quick... unless there IS a way to still do one-key hotkeys
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    <!--QuoteBegin--Racer^+Aug 6 2003, 10:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Racer^ @ Aug 6 2003, 10:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Third, and this has been mentioned before, but should be mentioned again. The recycle hotkey should NEVER, EVER be the same as the cancel button which is used so often. There should be a specific button for recycle separate from all other buttons. In fact, it should probably be able to have its own entry in the cl_cmhotkeys list which is separate from cancel. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Another option would be to require confirmation when recycling something.