A Way To Really Help The Comm

stellerwindsstellerwinds Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16459Members, Constellation
Instead of the commander buying each individual weapon time and time again, allow him to upgrade a specific marine permanently.

Its still the exact same principle, the commander is still the one issuing the weapons and equipment, but now instead of him having to waste valuable time spawning junk constantly the entire game he can spend the bulk of his time focusing on tactics and buildings. Plus he can give those upgrades to the specific players he wants to have them instead of trying to pin point drop on people like he does now.

So here's how it works just to be clear:
Commander selects JoeBlow, he clicks on upgrade and gives JoeBlow a welder and shotgun, he clicks OK.
Now every time JoeBlow spawns he will have a welder and shotgun.
Every time JoeBlow spawns it automatically subtract the cost of the upgrades from the resource pool, if there isnt enouph he spawns with the standard issue.

Comments

• MrMojoMrMojo Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9882Members, Constellation
    No. No way. Bad idea.
  • glioglio Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4557Members
    Why not? It'd be exactly as it is now, except automatic. This feature could probably even be added using AMX Mod.
  • Bosnian_CowboyBosnian_Cowboy Join Date: 2003-06-07 Member: 17088Members, Constellation
    Sounds good to me. I think there should be more ways to track players by being able to see what they have and what group they are in. Like a little <i>Player Menu</i> on the side would be nice.
  • DeronokDeronok Join Date: 2003-03-17 Member: 14613Members
    Well if this ever gets added to an AMX/Metamod I could see some huge downsides/glitches like the comm is trying to set up a foward base but people keep dieing and respawning. :\
  • MrMojoMrMojo Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9882Members, Constellation
    Ok. First of all, the marine doesnt need it most of the time.

Second, if the marine dies randomly ( the comm cant look out for him all the time), the res is wasted time and time again.

Something unexpected happens ( aliens block marines in, whatever), the comm needs the res, and yet it's wasted each time the marine dies and spawns.

It would be too easy to forget about it, and wonder why you're losing res.

There is a reason the automatic types of things ( health, ammo, and stuff) arent implemented already.
  • Bosnian_CowboyBosnian_Cowboy Join Date: 2003-06-07 Member: 17088Members, Constellation
    edited August 2003
    It should probably more of a "click button to give player X equipment set #". You would assign the equipment to a number 1-5 and through my nifty player menu (currently in my imagination) you would press a button and a menu would roll down with the options listing the numbers 1-5 giving the specific player the specific set of equipment. And maybe there would be squad assignment in the menu also.
  • stellerwindsstellerwinds Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16459Members, Constellation
    There is a possiblity that i might get into my car today and crash and die. But that doesnt mean cars should be outlawed.

Its a Choice for the commander. If he has marines he can really trust or if he just plain wants to do it, why shouldn't he be given this time saving feature?

What you are saying is people are too dumb to use it.
  • SuperBOBSuperBOB Join Date: 2003-02-21 Member: 13795Members
    The commander doesnt need any help, I like how the commander has to be fairly capable. Some RTS skill needed etc =p
  • NecroNecro &lt;insert non-birthday-related title here&gt; Join Date: 2002-08-09 Member: 1118Members
    is it a 1 time cost? or every spawn cost?

if its 1 time, no way

if its everytime, thats better

but still not that useful
  • SemperFi1SemperFi1 Join Date: 2003-02-14 Member: 13559Members
    Whats so hard about pressing a key and dropping a weapon around the armory?
    Isn't this the same problem Age of Empires 2 had with farms? You had to go rebuild them and sometimes you had more pressing matters to attend to like attacking enemies (It was fixed in the expansion).
  • DoADrunkMonkeyDoADrunkMonkey Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11902Members
    its the comm job to drop things and its just something he has to deal with, no auto buy scripts for comm i`am afraid, he can bind it if its really that nessasry.
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    IMHO there's no reason for autoequipping. You're meant to be spawning in different marines every time, from an outside source that presumably has no res. If the dropship had the HMG or HA that the marine keeps spawning in with, then why send men over with LMGs and tissue paper?

Second I thought that equipping and watching the res levels was part of the comms job. Not sitting back on autopilot slapping down the odd TF and turrets while the PC does the monkey work.