2.0 Gorges And Chamber Limits

StoneMonkStoneMonk Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17279Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">kinda bothersome</div> Hi all

As an alien in 2.0 I almost always go gorge now, they just rock. 2-3 gorges together healthspraying each other and the marines can be a great offensive strat. It would be cool if more people would go gorge to cap res, but oh well, some people cant wait to be an Onos.

But that isnt the problem. The problem is that now that everyone can go gorge, you get players that dont know what they are doing maxing out the chamber limits in an area putting them in not so smart places. People just drop them where ever, without SC or DC support nearby, and in places that the marines can easily go around or destroy them.

I guess this would be a tie in to the full-time gorge thread. Could we maybe relax the chamber limit (esp. around hives) or go back to yelling at people who go gorge and just shouldnt?

BTW Thank you Thank you Thank you Flayra! I love 2.0 and all the new strats, but the coolest thing about 2.0 now is dropping a sens chamber and watching all the structures fade out. Even as a marine, shooting at invisible hives and res nodes is damn cool, and I dont feel so bad getting killed by invisible OCs (love the new more-than-annoyance OCs too, they are marine stoppers)

Comments

• ZhangZhang Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2477Members
    I'm glad you like the game and I see your point with the chambers, but NS does have a steep learning curve. People will learn in the end where to stick chambers, and with the large number of people using voice comm, it's not too hard to show newb gorges where to stick chambers either.

Here's a tip for everyone: build sensories where marines can't get to them or won't shoot at them (e.g. on railings, in vents, near the ceiling)
  • SpobSpob Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15166Members
    edited August 2003
    The fact alien chambers are limeted seems unfair when you think of turret farms!
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    The answer is to set up significant defenses when you have 100 res instead of evolving to onos (but only if your team has a few already , HA HMGs are never very far) and you can build a 1.04-ish WoL or even worse , a cloaked WoL... only grenade spam can get rid of theses , plus you can still stack chambers (try putting as many OCs as you can on the blasted concrete wall near Satcom in Tanith... non-GL marines have no hopes of going through)
  • Jabba_The_HuntJabba_The_Hunt Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11850Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Spob+Aug 6 2003, 10:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Spob @ Aug 6 2003, 10:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The fact alien chambers are limeted seems unfair when you think of turret farms! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought this until I realised that turret farm can be taken out by destroying one turret factory, and continous leaping skulks would do enough damage if it was a critical area.
  • DeronokDeronok Join Date: 2003-03-17 Member: 14613Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Jabba The Hunt+Aug 6 2003, 05:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Jabba The Hunt @ Aug 6 2003, 05:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--Spob+Aug 6 2003, 10:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Spob @ Aug 6 2003, 10:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The fact alien chambers are limeted seems unfair when you think of  turret farms! <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought this until I realised that turret farm can be taken out by destroying one turret factory, and continous leaping skulks would do enough damage if it was a critical area. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And a wall of OCs can be taken out by 1 GLer.
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    Rather than change the limit, the answer seems to me that nub gorges should be educated in some fashion.

Even if it means losing a game while you explain why we don't put off towers all over the vents which marines can't use. Mmm.
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    Newsflash: The lamers and the clumsy can still put chambers on nodes, preventing a resource tower from being built. We need some deconstruction features.
  • LigerLiger Join Date: 2003-07-08 Member: 18026Members
    I thought this was a server variable or plug in... cause on some servers I can build a double decker hall blocking WoL, and on others I can't...
  • Dr_StrangeDr_Strange Join Date: 2003-06-10 Member: 17205Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Terr+Aug 6 2003, 09:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Terr @ Aug 6 2003, 09:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Newsflash: The lamers and the clumsy can still put chambers on nodes, preventing a resource tower from being built. We need some deconstruction features. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that is annoying. I had one gorge block off 3 res nodes like that. He thought he'll make an uber res tower. Obviously, he didn't learn from his mistakes. Yea, marines can recycle stuff, why can't gorges who built the chamber recycle their own chamber?
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    Same problem with nub gorge RT blockers. Ended up having to let marines take the room, then dislodge them.

Sadly this meant half a dozen defences had to go. Fantastic waste of res. And the best part was that the off towers he had spammed over the nozzles were out of sight of the marines who could easily shoot them.

*sigh*
  • StoneMonkStoneMonk Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17279Members, Constellation
    I think that would be a decent feature, and would help the gorges to move turrets from bad spots to better ones. Although then you'd just get lamers that instead of blocking off res nodes with turrets, would deconstruct vital structures the team needs.
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Spob+Aug 6 2003, 04:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Spob @ Aug 6 2003, 04:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The fact alien chambers are limeted seems unfair when you think of turret farms! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unfair, yes, but not because the aliens should lose their cap; the marines should get their own.

The reason the chamber cap was put in was to prevent the gigantic WoL of 1.0, and it has done well for it. If you're going to complain about it, just suggest that the limit be raised by a small number (2). Still, it's pretty reasonable as long as you pay some attention to where you place them.

Marines, on the other hand, can place 40 turrets in one room. You can take out a TF to end the threat, but the marines can just as easily (and do) build redundant TFs. Throw in a little electricity, and it takes forever to clear.

Now, why on earth (or various other planets/ships) would the marines need that many turrets in one place? The amount of res it requires could easily be spent toward winning the game rather than turtling, but the desire to make a game as long as possible in some people encourages them to turret farm. So, the only reason to have that many turrets in one room is a bad one.

If the number of turrets in a room is capped to a fairly large number, one that wouldn't be exceeded under normal circumstances, it would prevent turret farm abuse while not interfering with normal gameplay. Something like 10-12 seems good to me. Really big rooms could probably use more than 8, and twelve is a LOT of turrets. Any complaints?
  • GoldenShadowGoldenShadow Join Date: 2002-04-21 Member: 483Members
    I think that a single turret factory should only be able to support 6 turrets, and a advanced turret factory can support 12. normal turrets and siege both count the same towards the limit.
  • 11alex11alex Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14190Members
    Late game marines can easily destroy tons of structures with grenade launchers - I thought it was fun to see the massive "wall of lame" or what have you because it looked cool and it was possible, with some work, to take down with nades.

Late game aliens, yes, do have bile bomb, but in close quarters (marine base in tanith, for example) and when marines have grenade cover on the entrances, the gorges get rocked before they can bile...

Aliens are missing an effective counter-turret, as I see it.
  • INSInstrumentalityINSInstrumentality Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18850Members
    erm, acutally way i see it is that aliens don't need a chamber limit, but marines do, because aliens don't have siege and marines do.