Travelling particle systems

GwahirGwahir Join Date: 2002-04-24 Member: 513Members, Constellation
is there anyway to at least fake a moving particle system?

Comments

• PlaguebearerPlaguebearer Join Date: 2002-03-21 Member: 338Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    You could always set of several 'frames' of your particle system, and trigger them in sequence.  But that would eat a lot of memory.

I justtried having them spawn from a mobile func_train, but they always came from the original train brush's location, rather than moving with it.  Ah, well.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    This will almost definitely happen in the future, but there were some issues to making it work properly that I decided to save it until a future version.
  • GwahirGwahir Join Date: 2002-04-24 Member: 513Members, Constellation
    The great Flayra speaks, and his word is good!
  • BattousaixBattousaix Join Date: 2002-06-25 Member: 822Members
    umm, what bout groupín the particle entity with the func_train?
    mayb that could work...... but i dont kno.....
  • IntegrateIntegrate Join Date: 2002-02-22 Member: 236Members
    grouping with func_train wont work since PB said he just tried it.  Maybe if the Spirit of Halflife code is incorporated into NS in the future, we can make use of the MoveWith option to get moving particle systems...
  • Black_WolfBlack_Wolf Join Date: 2002-03-13 Member: 310Members
    erm, grouping them wont work because group[ing in a worldcraft/hammer thing, and has no effect after compiling and in-game.
  • liquidscriptliquidscript Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 35Members, Constellation
    It wouldn't be too hard to make the particle system move with a func_train, it would just need to update its origin every frame to be the same as the func_train's.  There are some issues though, as to how to implement it.  Do you have a function in the particle system that always check's its entity of origin every frame?  Do you copy the movement code from the func_train into the particlesystem?  And will the particle's emitted from the moving particle system retain the velocity of the particle system, or will they just spawn in the location of the particle system, leaving trails behind it?
  • BattousaixBattousaix Join Date: 2002-06-25 Member: 822Members
    oh i thought it was a permanent thingie......