And The People Said...

Marine0IMarine0I Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8639Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">AMEN!!!!!!!!!</div> I was going to post in this forum to comment on a post in the beta thread entitled "Interesting Article". Basically the thread was one Vets reason why he quit testing 1.1 - mainly cause the marine team was boring, and wasnt as developed as aliens was. You can read the thread at the link below, or just check the beta forum.

<a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=30&t=34589&st=0' target='_blank'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/in...30&t=34589&st=0</a>

Anyway, as I couldnt post in the forum, I was going to post out here, when I read the reply below, made by Nemesis Zero. Sums up EVERYTHING I wanted to say perfectly.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You know the impression I get from this thread? It's like the workers on the great Pyramids looked at what they had done halfway through, shrugged, and said "It's futile! The thing's still not pointy!"

Look at it from this way: The aliens, which had arguably by far less counters and alternative strategies in 1.0x, are already in what one might describe as 'presentable state'. If one of your favorite strategies is currently not as viable as it used to be, just notice it and wait - the aim is to make it just as useful as a lot of other strategies.
As for the marines, you'll agree with me that they have just not yet experienced the same amount of work the aliens have and yet, they already offer more and diverse strategies - provided you're willing to search for them. This is a beta test. Not all is in place yet.

Your help provided, it'll get pointy.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your thoughts?

Comments

• NSCypherNSCypher Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12758Members
    Just ditto the Topic title - AMEN

The marines may not be exciting right now, but I don't know cos I'm not a PT. I think I would be excited playing 1.1 marines even if they were boring, but then I'm the kind of person who can defend a base for 30 mins without getting bored...

Anyway, I trust Flay to get NS right - if you don't trust him to make this work, who can you trust? All the versions of NS so far have been fine, he isn't going to screw up now.
  • MoquiaoMoquiao Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16168Members
  • MacguyvokMacguyvok Godlike Fuzzydice Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16162Members
    Wow. I knew I liked Nem for a reason. This is just what the public needed to hear. You see, I'm looking forward to seeing things like squads flushed out (made more useful), and other things tweeked to make Marines a much more teamwork oriented....um... team. I think that We're going to find that Flay has been coding like crazy fro a new major release, and only putting these balance build out there b/c they took 10 minutes to do, and will apease the PT's/Public.

I say, Yaaaaay! 1.1 has a great dev team, and some equally great PT's. All the elements are in place for an awesome 1.1, now all we need to do is give them time.
  • LoveDaddyLoveDaddy Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14682Members
    Ive read the blokes post, and i obviously agree with some of the things hes saying,

1st point, why not give the marines more guns( grenades or something) obviouse the modeling and weighing of these need to be done carefully, look at mines last thing the kharra want is marines running down corridors with a grenade spam technique, the guns in NS just now are reasonably LAGGY player friendly...not sure if "snipe " type guns would be feasable

2nd point Bunny hopping removed!! YAAAYYYYY this has to be the most anoying blody thing in the game...im quite sure that if NS was a real situation the marines would be hopping about like a bunch of psyhos, you shot at me you missed...now im going to chomp your ****, being able to jump over my head in random ways i feel is not fair.... bunny hoppings ruined CS(among other things) so i wont miss it.

Point 3.building stuff and armoury humping.....its part of the game.. the aliens ahve to build stuff, and bloody evolve......love it!!!

Pont 4. Not sure what to say about the resource system far to compicated for me.....
  • CreepieCreepie Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13734Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It seems that a lot of Vets have lost interest in playtesting. It is not the same situation that happened 3 weeks ago before full clans were allowed, but still, the servers are mainly empty<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->There are plenty of people who are not part of the PT/beta/Vet program-thingy who I'm sure would love to test 1.1. Are the servers *really* empty ?

[Cult]Creep.
  • KEm1KaL1KEm1KaL1 Lerky Lerky Join Date: 2003-02-21 Member: 13797Members
    A great deal of these people do not understand what playtesting really is. It's a novelty to these guys, a prize. I completely saw it coming. Playtesting is not all recreation guys, it is like a job, you were picked for a reason (perhaps now seeing that it was not the right one in some cases). I have done plenty of professional PTing and believe me, it isn't all fun and games. You are there to do a job. Remember that.

As nem pointed out, the team wants you to help, it is not a finished product don't expect it to be fun but make a choice, do you want to help or do you want to play. There is a time for both I understand this but PTing requires time, patience and thoroughness.

Do your best to make 1.1 good for all of us.
  • MacguyvokMacguyvok Godlike Fuzzydice Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16162Members
    Everyone mentions, "If the servers are empty, why not get more PT's?" I think it's dual sided; people want to play 1.1, so they wanna beta test; People also want to help out, so they offer the most logical suggestion. Either way, I doubt we'll see the beta expanded much. I think that the deserving members of the forums should get PT status at most, but we've gotta be careful not to have too many cooks, and only one pot.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i think i can agree on nearly anithing in that thread
  • FrikkFrikk Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3164Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--_Creep_+Jun 10 2003, 11:59 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (_Creep_ @ Jun 10 2003, 11:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It seems that a lot of Vets have lost interest in playtesting. It is not the same situation that happened 3 weeks ago before full clans were allowed, but still, the servers are mainly empty<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->There are plenty of people who are not part of the PT/beta/Vet program-thingy who I'm sure would love to test 1.1. Are the servers *really* empty ?

[Cult]Creep. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They really aren't. ReD's server is full almost the whole time during the evening, while the others are filled sporadically.
  • TickTockTickTock Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 608Members
    All fun during "beta"testing is completely incidental, and not endorsed by the developers in any way, shape, or form. You are there to TEST, not so much to PLAY.

It might make sense to pull playtesters from the constellation member pool, although I'm biased in that regard, so take the notion with a grain of salt.