Segmentation Fault

AeliusAelius Join Date: 2003-03-17 Member: 14610Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Linux server</div> Hi, I have problem with getting 1.04 running on my Linux server.

I've installed 3.1.1.1 from Valve on my RedHat 7.3 server (2.4.18).

Then I installed NS server 1.0 and it worked perfectly.

Then I tried to update to 1.04 by applying the 1.04 patch
(which patches the ns dir).

When I start the server it dies horribly with a segmentation fault
and ofcourse the server restarts ad infinitum.

Does anyone know what's going on and if this combination works at all?
Also, what Linux distro version are you guys running (the ones of you
who got it to work?)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JoeBlowJoeBlow Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12899Members
    Did you install the beta patch for 3.1.1.1 released by valve? That may fix your problems.
  • cracker_jackmaccracker_jackmac Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6891Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    the problem comes from the fact that NS1.04 was built on a diff system.

If you are running Adminmod, check the webbed threads for the fix. Don't upgrade your hlds because RH systems don't get along
  • AeliusAelius Join Date: 2003-03-17 Member: 14610Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--JoeBlow+May 21 2003, 03:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (JoeBlow @ May 21 2003, 03:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Did you install the beta patch for 3.1.1.1 released by valve?  That may fix your problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No I haven't... it's a plain 3.1.1.1 server....
  • AeliusAelius Join Date: 2003-03-17 Member: 14610Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--cracker jackmac+May 21 2003, 04:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (cracker jackmac @ May 21 2003, 04:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> the problem comes from the fact that NS1.04 was built on a diff system.

If you are running Adminmod, check the webbed threads for the fix. Don't upgrade your hlds because RH systems don't get along <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the problem comes from the fact that NS1.04 was built on a diff system.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, anything to do with libs and such that I can fix... or it will be a pain the ****?

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If you are running Adminmod, check the webbed threads for the fix.  Don't upgrade your hlds because RH systems don't get along<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, I'll go and check. So you mean that if I'm not going to run adminmod I won't be able to get it running? Just a simple q. I'll go check the webbed now.
  • cracker_jackmaccracker_jackmac Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6891Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    1.04 and the default Adminmod built don't work togther at all

you'll need the custom built at the top of the forums here.

could you fix the libs? yeah i guess....its not worth it though.
  • LethyLethy Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7666Members, Constellation
    How would you fix the libs to get RH7.3, NS 1.04 and HLDS 3.1.1.1 with NO mods working all nicely, regardless of the troubles?
  • Jim_has_SkillzJim_has_Skillz Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12475Members, Constellation
    If you haven't noticed. In this forum there is direct support for what you are talking about. Its one of the webbed topics at the top of this discussion. Read through that are there are a couple builds that you can download. I had the same problem and I got a build from one of the posts inside that forum. It worked perfectly.
  • LethyLethy Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7666Members, Constellation
    edited May 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--Jim has Skillz+May 23 2003, 11:54 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Jim has Skillz @ May 23 2003, 11:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If you haven't noticed.  In this forum there is direct support for what you are talking about.  Its one of the webbed topics at the top of this discussion.  Read through that are there are a couple builds that you can download.  I had the same problem and I got a build from one of the posts inside that forum.  It worked perfectly. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you mean the thread <a href='http://www.natural-selection.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=21068&s=' target='_blank'>Ns Server V1.04 With Adminmod On Redhat 7.3 And 8.</a>, how will new AdminMOD DLLs help a server that is not running AdminMod?

Edit: Maybe you meant the C++ stdlib library links? Didn't take nothing of them sorry, they didn't seem targeted for the ns1.04/RH/3.1.1.1 problem.

2nd Edit: Apparently those stdlibs are already installed and still getting a seg fault, dont' have any logs on me. We'll just live with 3.1.1.0 for now I guess, thanks anyways.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Lethy+May 22 2003, 08:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Lethy @ May 22 2003, 08:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> How would you fix the libs to get RH7.3, NS 1.04 and HLDS 3.1.1.1 with NO mods working all nicely, regardless of the troubles? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You'll need some prebulit libs that aren't broken, and install them over your RH libs...but chances are, your RH system would break.

RH and 3111(both a and b) DO NOT work together...mods or not.

Eitehr run 3.1.1.0 or get a diff distro......its alot less headache to re-install another distro (freebsd, debian, or slackware) than to compile...wake up and see that they failed....and compile 3 more times..get a working build...but only to find out that RH won't boot anymore.
  • KillingKilling Join Date: 2003-05-02 Member: 16016Members
    Considering its a problem only with NS dont you think we should get a new build of NS which fixes the problem. It segv's on FreeBSD as well here and Im not gonna look into new libs there as everything else works. We have just shutdown our servers and told the clients its a problem with NS. So please guys get a fix out. Its not working on a large amount of platforms.
  • verboseverbose Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9968Members, Constellation
    edited May 2003
    Works on FreeBSD for me. If you install linux_base from ports, make sure your port is fixed so that it installs all the libs. I have a thread on these boards somewhere telling how to do that.
  • radiumradium Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10443Members
    Having same problems here. I'm running RH9 and 3111. Unpatched NS works fine, but if I dump the 104 files in, I segfault. DOD and other mods work fine.

I guess I'll try 3110 and 104 tonight.