How Much Do Headphones Affect Play?

2»

Comments

• napinapi Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14172Members, Constellation
    i have both... for important games or when i'm playing seriously, i use headphones...

but for fun games, play with full surround sound.

the atmosphere is fantastic hearing the echo's and things. and feeling the bass underneath..
  • TyrainTyrain Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11746Members
    edited June 2003
    Try the EAX feature for pseudo surround sound. I tried it myself but it didn't work for me. Shoulda try it again someday... maybe with new drivers.
  • porpporp Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7445Members
    You CAN tell what direction things are coming from with headphones. We only have two ears, after all, and we can triangulate sound sources. Headphones are not as sophisticated, but all you have to do is turn a little bit to pinpoint the sound. Binaural hearing pwns. 5.1 is for movie geeks.
  • CacoColaCacoCola Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16978Members
    *can get his mic to work but can't get sound to come in through his head phones*

it's a mic/headphone combo, any suggestions?
  • TheWizardTheWizard Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10553Members, Constellation
    I highly suggest this for best performance: 5.1 speakers and headphones at the same time. Plug your headphones into your front speaker jack and leave the rear speakers on.

That way you get the precision of the headphones combined with a slight ability to hear behind you. Its very useful and I think the most accurate way to have sound short of surround sound headphones.
  • CacoColaCacoCola Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16978Members
    well I got the headphones to work, I tried them in UO (free shard, not stil paying for that crap) cause that's the game I was playing when I figured out how to make them work

However I couldn't "tell" where sound was coming from (as much as u can tell where it's comign from in UO...but there's definetely a way to tell)

I'll try it in NS in a little bit, well right now really
  • PegePege Join Date: 2002-11-27 Member: 10088Members
    I just can't believe it. What is it with UO and NS? I've met more UO/ex-UO people playing NS than in all other HL mods together.

P.S. Played 4,5 years in Europa, got bored.
  • TrancerTrancer Join Date: 2003-01-14 Member: 12302Members
    I can always tell if they are comming from behind me, or upfront with headphones. Instead of turning your head, rotate in-game. Their direction is whatever ear the sound circulates to. Some people acused me of wallhack because I always know where they are comming from. Subwoofers just add loud bass, why would you need loud bass? It's more of a distraction to me than anything else.

Him: "nice wallhack trancer"
    Me: "Ever hear of headphones? Guess what silence is for?"