Annoying Thing On Ns_nothing......

QuestionQuestion Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9180Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Not fixed in 1.1 i bet.</div> Okay just played a very annoying game of ns_nothing.

We had jps,then they webbed the hives up,great 50 ish res down the drain.

So we got has.

Then the aliens got 1 person to camp at each of the lifts,everytime we pressed the lift button to go down,they would press the lift button so it would go back up.Didnt even get the lift down enough to chuck nades(not like,it would KILL them with a obscene 6 second fuse that a gorg could get far away from.....while WALKING).

They could simply have chucked a couple of DCs down there........but this way......its so much cheaper.They can camp like this till everyone went fade/lerk and then come up en-mass.

But you say,there are 2 vents!Why not use them?

1.Webs(although fixed in 1.1)

2.Um 1-2 fades camping the cargo vent = anyone going through is dead.....because HMGs and stuff have crap accuracy(have feeeling 1.1 wont have it accurate enough).OCs at foreboding(it IS a rt spot after all) + 1 fade to hit the JP coming through = hes dead in seconds.....

So yea can 1.1 fix the lift button exploit?

Comments

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited May 2003
    That just sounds to me like an incredibly well-organised alien team. The lift button thing doesn't really seem like much of an exploit to me. You just fell prey to a bunch of guys who knew what they were doing.
  • QuestionQuestion Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9180Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Insane+May 31 2003, 04:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Insane @ May 31 2003, 04:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> That just sounds to me like an incredibly well-organised alien team. The lift button thing doesn't really seem like much of an exploit to me. You just fell prey to a bunch of guys who knew what they were doing. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How about this,we should allow people to build in space if they can get 3 people to activate 3 buttons,within 20 meters of each other.

I mean,that would require team work right?So we should allow them to map exploit!

Oh btw teamwork on a server with 75% clan members on it most of the time is NOTHING.

Maybe we should give godmode to all members of a team if they can get 3 players to press 3 buttons as well......hey......that requires teamwork too!
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited May 2003
    What on earth are you talking about? Godmode? Building in space? How on Earth is that related to anything?

Look, pressing the buttons on the lifts is hardly an exploit, that's how lifts usually work. You know, press the button and they move?

Ok, here's the solutions. First, you said you started off with JPs, but they webbed the hives. Welders would have solved that problem easy. Same with the webs in the vents.

Then you complain about HMG not being accurate enough (which it easily is). Why not launch a few grenades into the vents? You said you had grenade launchers when you were talking about the lifts. Same for the OC's at Foreboding, GL's can ususally take care of something like that.
  • KingKupoKingKupo Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9785Members
    i agree that elevator thingie was cheap, but you seem to be describing a team that worked as a team or just camped the hell outta you and made it seem they were working in team. lift thingie is an exploit(a really annoying one) and could use fixing.
  • ImmacolataImmacolata Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2140Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    And get a hold of this: Siege gun and scanner sweeps! OMG! It can be solved.
    Um are you insane?How the hell are you going to be able to weld webs in hives while being spiked,ocs shooting at you and avoid the webs at the same time?

Yea look at cargo vent.A hmg from one end to the other = no aliens will die unless they sit there.BTW im talking about fades camping at the exit of cargo vent.GL doesnt go THAT far.Okay,lets assume it DOES.So what?HAs cant get through the vent in 30 seconds loaded down with HMGs.While they are in there they are sitting ducks for acid rockets.6 second fuse makes it impossible to kill any fades.....its not as fades are THAT slow.....

Oh yea while you sit there and use GLs on the OCs the fade has ALREADY killed you with acid rocket splash....smart......

Btw we should be able to stop lifts from going down/up just by pressing the button?Do you know how silly that sounds?Lifts IRL dont work that way......you go in,you press the button,you go that floor.....if someone at the bottom floor pressess the lift button,the lift does NOT go back down......
    <!--QuoteBegin--Immacolata+May 31 2003, 05:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Immacolata @ May 31 2003, 05:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> And get a hold of this: Siege gun and scanner sweeps! OMG! It can be solved. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Learn to read.

They went putting DCs under the lift,they had aliens repeatedly pressing the lift button everytime we tried to go down so the lift wouldnt move.
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Um are you insane?How the hell are you going to be able to weld webs in hives while being spiked,ocs shooting at you and avoid the webs at the same time?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uhh, by doing it? I've done that sort of thing before. You only need one guy on the welder, the others can be pounding the hell out of the alien structures. And there's always siege, as Imma pointed out. As for your "learn to read" jab he was actually talking about how to deal with the hives, not the lifts.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yea look at cargo vent.A hmg from one end to the other = no aliens will die unless they sit there.BTW im talking about fades camping at the exit of cargo vent.GL doesnt go THAT far.Okay,lets assume it DOES.So what?HAs cant get through the vent in 30 seconds loaded down with HMGs.While they are in there they are sitting ducks for acid rockets.6 second fuse makes it impossible to kill any fades.....its not as fades are THAT slow.....<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Surely you kid. HMGs are not that useless. It's quite possible for an HMG to take out a fade at the other end. And also the fuse on the grenades does not make it impossible to kill the Fades. There's a certain amount of timing and accuracy involved, but it's possible. And I think you're exaggerating a bit on the 6 second fuse. 6 seconds is a long time for a grenade fuse, longer than I remember them being.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oh yea while you sit there and use GLs on the OCs the fade has ALREADY killed you with acid rocket splash....smart......<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sit there? Did I say "stand in one place and fire GLs and hope the fade won't notice you"? I don't think so. Use Jetpacks or get some buddies to help you out. I mean, it's only -one- fade. There's also siege for that as well. It doesn't seem to me that you guys even considered siege as a strategy.
  • BogglesteinskyBogglesteinsky Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11488Members
    edited May 2003
    sounds like you need more coordination, but, tbh, you deserved all you got for the oldest marine relocation in the book.

i am going to congratulate the aliens on that one. they held out against almost impossible odds

[edit] having read insane's post: get a suicidal marine, give him a jetpack and a gl. send him in the vent and get him to fly all the way to the fade. he will not be dead by the time he gets there, and it will only take a few gls to kill the fade - instant explode on contact. ha follo as fast as they can while the jp spams nades down the vent.

simple as

[/edit]
  • SuperBOBSuperBOB Join Date: 2003-02-21 Member: 13795Members
    Agree with boggle or whatever the poster above me is called ^^
  • DunsbyDunsby Join Date: 2002-08-01 Member: 1042Awaiting Authorization
    Question, siege cannons, just put them near the lift or hive. Problem solved..

And dont make a reason why you couldnt use siege cannons, because theres always a way..
    I think you are freaking missing the point.

PEOPLE ARE PRESSING LIFT BUTTONS SO THAT THE PEOPLE ON TOP CANNOT GO DOWN.THAT IS NOT WHAT SHOULD BE HAPPENING.SEIGES WILL NOT KILL ALIENS WHO DO THAT.SO YEA READ THE freaking POST.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    And you are so, so very, painfully, sadly wrong on the HMG aspect. Besideswhich, HMG/LMG/Pistol spamming down that vent is a *far* greater problem. After all, _every_ marine has a ranged weapon. They spawn with it. They can camp that vent from the very beginning. A Fade (v1.04) costs 54RP, and can only fire so often as opposed to Comm ammo-drop infinite kill-corridor.

I've actually never seen this 'lift switch bug' myself, and I've *tried* to send a lift back up to block off the path. Unless it's been developed pretty dang recently, it's far more likely to have just been buildings stacked under the lift. Which has been given the nod as a valid tactic. After all, Marines can weld things to block/unblock routes. Why shouldn't the Alien Infestation be able to spread into elevators to stop 'em from working?
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited May 2003
    Yeh, Question, you really should not be complaining. You guys got spanked hard, and im glad - the aliens deserved to win that one. Btw, you said you had Jetpacks, eh? While not get welders + JPs and spend about 10 seconds just welding everything you can while in the air -- usually lerks dont have great aim w/ spikes so if you have 3-4 people doing it you can easily deweb an area. The aliens just had amazing teamwork, and your team just didnt 1) Work together to 2) know enough about NS to win.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->PEOPLE ARE PRESSING LIFT BUTTONS SO THAT THE PEOPLE ON TOP CANNOT GO DOWN.THAT IS NOT WHAT SHOULD BE HAPPENING.SEIGES WILL NOT KILL ALIENS WHO DO THAT.SO YEA READ THE freaking POST. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe its time for you to start reading? Nothing was stoping you from using the vent from pipe room bypass the quad lift and flank it. "BUT OMGOMGO THERE WAS A FADE WITH WEBS OMOMOGMOMGO" -- great -- use welders and HMGs and your little fade problem is gone. Once that vent is clear you could have just poped out and killed the alien.

The problem isn't the fact that they pressing the lift - the problem is that you and your team lacked common sense.
    Why are you guys ignoring the slight fact that the aliens used a map exploit to win?EH?
  • AngelusAngelus Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10810Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--Talesin+May 31 2003, 11:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Talesin @ May 31 2003, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I've actually never seen this 'lift switch bug' myself, and I've *tried* to send a lift back up to block off the path. Unless it's been developed pretty dang recently, it's far more likely to have just been buildings stacked under the lift. Which has been given the nod as a valid tactic. After all, Marines can weld things to block/unblock routes. Why shouldn't the Alien Infestation be able to spread into elevators to stop 'em from working? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ive never been able to stop a lift going up/down by pressing the switch mid journey either... and ive tried enough...

As most of you have said, the only way i know to send a lift straight back up is to build UNDER it enough.... in which case, a seige is your best friend.
  • Amped1Amped1 Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13287Members
    You coulda sent a jper down the elevator to take care of the alien. If the lift was stopping midway and coming back up then it was blocked by alien structures. Pressing the button simply does not stop a lift mid journey. In which case a seige would have cleared out the infested elevator.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    <!--QuoteBegin--Question+May 31 2003, 03:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Question @ May 31 2003, 03:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Why are you guys ignoring the slight fact that the aliens used a map exploit to win?EH? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Er... which exploit, exactly? All I see is the chamber thing (again, a VALID tactic... I've *never* seen any kind of 'lift switch' bug. EVER. And I've _tried_ to get it to stop and go back up... no dice. It was chambers, even if you couldn't see them through the slots), and the vent thing. Which Marines are a HELL of a lot more prone to taking advantage of, and is not an exploit ANYWAY. It's just a long corridor which is good for ranged weapons (Marines, Fade, Lerk) and mines, and LOUSY for Melee weaponry (most of the rest of the Kharaa arsenal).

Please get your facts straight before accusing someone of map-exploiting.
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    This is getting definetely too heated.

<span style='color:red'>***Locked.***</span>
This discussion has been closed.