Lerk Death Animation

SilentSamSilentSam Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15532Members
<div class="IPBDescription">could we get a better one?</div> I really hate the current lerk death animation. Initially they just go limp - its very confusing! Lerks are stronger then skulks, so I can't use the same calculation I do with skulks as to how much froma clip goes in them before they die. So if I'm chacing a lerk defending the hive I often kill it but am not aware of this so I keep shooting at it for 2-3 extra seconds which give surrounding skulks ample time to chomp my **** off, skulks who would have by all means been dead had I had those extra few seconds to change the focus of my attention.

Perhaps make it twitch like the skulks and visibly flip on the side and colapse its wings? In the air its ever harder to tell since it just drops like a brick but keeps its wings open, which looks just like a normal (live) lerk manuever.

Comments

• TheGlowTheGlow Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9650Members
    well if he stops moving, hes dead.
    I dont see many lerks feign death. Also the upper right corner tends to keep a decent tab on whos dead and whos not. If you dont see your name come up, dont let go of fire.
  • SilentSamSilentSam Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15532Members
    yes yes, but seriously, who has time to check the corner in the middle of a firefight? It just seems silly that skulks and fades and such have such nice and obvious death animations but lerks dont.
  • KEm1KaL1KEm1KaL1 Lerky Lerky Join Date: 2003-02-21 Member: 13797Members
    edited April 2003
    I understand this problem. Thoroughly. The lerk is being revamped in 1.1 not sure about anims though.

When I think about this I think about bast, a very alien (and kickass, because i like alien) map. With all its fast paced action and running skulks it it hard to focus on when a lerk is dead. In my opinion this isn't a HUGE problem though. I understand it but it isn't HUGE. I always look for the drop, it is still a good way to tell. Also, listen for the death sounds. Sometimes hard to do with guns a blazin' but another great way to tell.

In conclusion, a more outspoken lerk anim would be nice but I don't feel it as imperative.

P.S. In reply to the check corner post. Very good way to tell, it isnt too far out of the way to check. Can't believe I overlooked it.

As for the skulks and fades death anims, it is easier to make one for them than for the lerk. If you look closely the lerk does have a death anim, it is just somewhat blurred because it plays while the lerk falls to the ground. Also, lerks do not fall as quickly when they are alive than when they are dead. Keep all of this in mind.
  • Relic25Relic25 Pixel Punk Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 39Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Patience, please. I'm sure more animations will be added when there is time.
  • TheHornetTheHornet Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1776Members, Constellation
    There are alot of animations for lerks that you never see in game but are in the ns directory, including some good death ones, i'm sure they will get used eventually.
  • WindelkronWindelkron Join Date: 2002-04-11 Member: 419Members
    is it just me, or are lerk hitboxes very borked?
  • MasterEvilAceMasterEvilAce Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10268Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Most hitboxes are borked.
  • exoityexoity Join Date: 2003-03-17 Member: 14620Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    The lerk is being fully redone in 1.1 so, just hold on to the love and it will fixed. =)
  • killswitchkillswitch Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13141Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--Windelkron+Apr 25 2003, 01:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Windelkron @ Apr 25 2003, 01:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> is it just me, or are lerk hitboxes very borked? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really, some strange things when flying but otherwise it is reportedly intuitive,
  • McFadeMcFade Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13709Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--//KEm1KaL\\+Apr 24 2003, 04:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (//KEm1KaL\\ @ Apr 24 2003, 04:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I understand this problem. Thoroughly. The lerk is being revamped in 1.1 not sure about anims though.

When I think about this I think about bast, a very alien (and kickass, because i like alien) map. With all its fast paced action and running skulks it it hard to focus on when a lerk is dead. In my opinion this isn't a HUGE problem though. I understand it but it isn't HUGE. I always look for the drop, it is still a good way to tell. Also, listen for the death sounds. Sometimes hard to do with guns a blazin' but another great way to tell.

In conclusion, a more outspoken lerk anim would be nice but I don't feel it as imperative.

P.S. In reply to the check corner post. Very good way to tell, it isnt too far out of the way to check. Can't believe I overlooked it.

As for the skulks and fades death anims, it is easier to make one for them than for the lerk. If you look closely the lerk does have a death anim, it is just somewhat blurred because it plays while the lerk falls to the ground. Also, lerks do not fall as quickly when they are alive than when they are dead. Keep all of this in mind.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    //KEm1kaL\: I think you should consider a career in politics.