Why Public Schools Suck...

JammerJammer Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 728Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Its not funding!</div> "This is a true reflection of how the public feels," said Shirley Igo, president of National Parent Teacher Association. "It says that our young people are looking for positive role models out there." <a href='http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/04/23/education.report.ap/index.html' target='_blank'>Report: Rude kids, lazy parents biggest school problem</a>

Well, thats a shocker. Of course, we need to keep in mind that...
<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"This is a true reflection of how the public feels," said Shirley Igo, president of National Parent Teacher Association. "It says that our young people are looking for positive role models out there." <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->.

Yeah, right. We have parents unwilling to parent, a legal system that equates discipline with child abuse, and a public school system that is designed to sterilize all justification for right and wrong out of the classroom.

Ahhhh.... The marvels of Social Engineering.
/sarcasm

Comments

• SaltySalty Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 6970Members
    I think teachers should be able to kick students out of thier classroom more easily. Education is not a right. If you can't respect your teachers good bye. Nobody has to see your teen agnst in the class room. Take that **** else where. Either that or bring back corprol punishment. Telling a teacher "**** YOU TEACHER!" won't happen again if its followed by a slap to the floor and a "get in line ****."
  • BathroomMonkeyBathroomMonkey Feces-hurling Monkey Boy Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 78Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited April 2003
    It's odd-- my mother has been a high school English teacher for twenty years, and her biggest complaint has been a combination of parent over-involvement and unreal expectations for their children.

Like everything else in society, public schools are being steamrolled into a flat, dull, homogenous landscape due to oversensitivity and political correctness.

When I was in elementary and middle school, I was fortunate enough to be selected for a program (many schools in America had some incarnation of it) called 'TAG', which stood for 'Talented and Gifted'. It was a group of students (selected by exceptional standardized testing and problem solving skills) who would come into school an hour and a half early with a specially trained teacher to tinker with different learning projects. It was an incredibly valuable experience.

That program has vanished in my district, because too many parents complained-- first about the name-- if these kids are called 'Talented and Gifted', and my kid isn't in the program . . . then that must mean . . .

But even changing that didn't help-- having a program like that was considered demeaning and insulting to the other students, so it was canned.

AP classes also seem to be suffering from that-- every parent is <i>convinced</i> that their child is exceptional, and deserves placement in advanced classes-- which means that you either let them in, and slow down the legitimately placed students, or you exclude them, and deal with protests from angry parents.

Additionally, try giving a student with an 'involved parent' a bad grade and see what happens. When I used to live at home, I'd have to listen to my mother constantly fielding calls from irate parents, and she would calmly explain why she graded their child poorly. When they still persisted, she would have to sit them down and show them their child's paper, and then an A paper. That usually did the trick, but it was a ton of effort. (Side note-- though, there was one famously hilarious case where it turned out that the child's mother had written the paper for him, and that was why she was so incensed over receiving a c- . . . the teachers all had a good laugh over that one).

Uh . . . what was my point here . . . Oh, that, at least in my old school district, the fact that some parents can't accept the reality that their child isn't as academically capable as others leads to the more intelligent children being handicapped in some cases, and it's a Damn shame.
    I don't have a problem with a parent putting there kid in a gifted program but if he/she can't make the grade then good bye.
  • JammerJammer Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 728Members, Constellation
    It really depends on your school district. In my upper middle class school district, parents are over-involved Nazis like you described. In a neighboring poorer middle class district and the reverse is more or less true. Head into the city (The city for me is Philadelphia), and it total chaos.
  • BathroomMonkeyBathroomMonkey Feces-hurling Monkey Boy Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 78Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Good point.

And I suppose that's the worse situation, because at least the crazy parents are involved and more likely to push their children.
    Just let the kids that are being pushed be taken home by the apathetic parents and the apathetic kids be taken by the nazi pushing parents.
  • p4Samwisep4Samwise Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10831Members
    Neither extreme is good. The worst of the Nazi pushing parents will drag their children through the system without any real concern to whether they're getting an education. The parent who wrote the C- paper, for example - even if it'd been a A paper, what good does it do the kid? All it teaches him is that if something's too hard for him, his mother will do it.

Good teachers can help to offset the problems caused by incompetent parents. The problem, though (at least in my view) is that really good, dedicated teachers are so few and far between, because so many of them burn out early due to a general lack of support and respect from the very people that they're helping. At the very least, I think teachers should be paid a hell of a lot more. If nothing else, this'd get them more respect from the morons who judge a person's worth by their salary. And from what I hear, it's fairly common now for people to belittle teachers based on their low earnings. ("Those who can't do, teach," and BS like that.)
  • xioutlawixxioutlawix Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7118Members, Constellation
    In reply to the comment, "Those who can't do, teach," there are admittedly some really excellent teachers, I've been blessed with a few. But there are certainly some who couldn't teach their way out of a paper bag.
    Obviously once you reach college, its your buck, you can switch teachers as many times as you want, but I remember in public school here in miami, if you tried to switch teachers for whatever reason, you were scorned, told "Any teacher can do the job as well as the next, you simply need to put your personal differences aside." To me, this really imposes a false ideology into children, the way things are are what you have to deal with, you don't have a say in the matter.

Just my 2 cents.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--QuoteBegin--[p4]Samwise+Apr 23 2003, 05:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([p4]Samwise @ Apr 23 2003, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Good teachers can help to offset the problems caused by incompetent parents. The problem, though (at least in my view) is that really good, dedicated teachers are so few and far between, because so many of them burn out early due to a general lack of support and respect from the very people that they're helping. At the very least, I think teachers should be paid a hell of a lot more. If nothing else, this'd get them more respect from the morons who judge a person's worth by their salary. And from what I hear, it's fairly common now for people to belittle teachers based on their low earnings. ("Those who can't do, teach," and BS like that.) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly. Adding to that in my region is that the only thing the teacher's union has been successful at doing is keeping incompetent teachers from being fired. We had a treacher at my high school whose ineptitude warranted an apology from the administration to all of the students in her class, but they still couldn't fire her.

Some of the educational requirements for teaching seem a little skewed also. I'd say that if you want to teach a subject in highschool and have an advanced degree in your field, they should let you with or without a teaching certificate.
  • criticaIcriticaI Join Date: 2003-04-07 Member: 15269Banned, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--[p4]Samwise+Apr 23 2003, 05:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([p4]Samwise @ Apr 23 2003, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->And from what I hear, it's fairly common now for people to belittle teachers based on their low earnings.  ("Those who can't do, teach," and BS like that.)<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Rofl. Those people suck at life.

I'm studying to become a teacher, and people always B-S me with "Why don't you try to become a profession that is more respected?" ... etc

I also get "I just couldn't teach, kids are so undisciplined." Hah. Yeah, If I can survive the Ns.org forums and people like that, I don't think I'm gonna worry about the kids in person. (The little brats on the forums wouldn't dare talk like that if I was standing over their desk in a classroom!!!)
  • ZLaZZLaZ Join Date: 2003-04-07 Member: 15290Members
    Add all this to the fact that the government practically punishes parents for choosing how to school their children.
    Let's hope, and pray, the 2004 Voucher system goes into effect. The quality of education will boost incredibly.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--QuoteBegin--ZLaZ+Apr 23 2003, 09:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ZLaZ @ Apr 23 2003, 09:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Let's hope, and pray, the 2004 Voucher system goes into effect. The quality of education will boost incredibly. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Except for the kids whose parents don't care. They're going to majorly get the shaft more than they already do. The reason inner city public schools started failing is that rich people fled to the suburbs to avoid forced integration. (That's how it happened in Cincinnati anyways) The voucher system is going to make it even worse. Failing schools won't improve, they'll just become a dumping ground for the untouchables.
    Not to mention that public schools are poorly funded as it is. It would be a bit of a magic act if the money could materialize to send every kid to a private school. At my high school the city couldn't even afford to fix the roof. We got rained on.
    One thing that might help would be to close the gap between schools in poor areas and schools in affluent areas. Money donated to the public education system should be divided evenly over a larger area, i.e. the entire city, county, or even state, as opposed to being funneled into one particular school where all of the rich folks send their kids. The way it is now, those public schools might as well be top-tier private schools for all the extra funding they're getting.

Of course, direct funding is only part of it. Most Catholic schools actually have smaller budgets than most public schools, but they tend to do much better, partially through fundraising efforts that pull in extra support from the community, and partially from better management of the funds they do have.
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    I go to a Catholic school of 500 kids we can hold over 1500 kids, the pubilc high school in my area has over 4000 kids and is cramed to the max, the 9th grade class has over 900 kids. The simple answer to the over crowding send some to my school, but no, more and more continue to leave my school for that **** hole and it is a **** hole. Why? Because of two things money and a 10 point grade difference in what is passing and what is failing. My school is great it has REAL teachers who are there to TEACH, because as you know they could get a hell of alot more money at a public school. They are there because they don't want to put up with the bs that goes on at many public schools due to teachers being afraid to instill discipline in students.
    With only 500 students the amount of 1on1 you can have with any teacher at almost any time is amazeing and I am good freinds with many of my teachers, a bond I am sure I could not have had at my areas public school. Many people at the public school have been to my school at one time or another but they always fail out or leave before they do, because they just can't get a 70. The idea that a 60 is passing has always been absurd to me and I think they should raise the standerd at public schools, I think they well work harder if they have no where else to run to. If not, hey not everyone was ment to go to school, and thats why we have Berger King managers.
    <!--QuoteBegin--[p4]Samwise+Apr 24 2003, 05:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([p4]Samwise @ Apr 24 2003, 05:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Of course, direct funding is only part of it. Most Catholic schools actually have smaller budgets than most public schools, but they tend to do much better, partially through fundraising efforts that pull in extra support from the community, and partially from better management of the funds they do have. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Most of the budget difference has to do with the type of students that they have to teach. Private and catholic schools don't have to teach learning-disabled* or behavioral-problem kids. They just kick them out/send them to public schools. LD programs are enormously expensive and the public school system has to take care of all of it for the region.

Additionally, the busses that take everyone to school are funded publicly even if the school itself is private. That's right, the budget for public schools includes all of the bussing for private schools, in addition to its own bussing.

There's also quite a bit of legal red tape about how money from fund raisers in public schools is spent. I don't know the details, but it leads to some odd spending choices.

(Some of these oddities may not apply to your area, but this is how it's done in Cincinnati.)

*I'm not sure what the current euphemisms are, may not be LD anymore, but you know what I'm talking about.
    <!--QuoteBegin--moultano+Apr 24 2003, 04:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (moultano @ Apr 24 2003, 04:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Most of the budget difference has to do with the type of students that they have to teach. Private and catholic schools don't have to teach learning-disabled* or behavioral-problem kids. They just kick them out/send them to public schools. LD programs are enormously expensive and the public school system has to take care of all of it for the region.

Additionally, the busses that take everyone to school are funded publicly even if the school itself is private. That's right, the budget for public schools includes all of the bussing for private schools, in addition to its own bussing.
    <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    All of the Catholic schools I've been to (two grade schools and one high school) have had learning-disabled programs. Secular private schools might be more inclined to just throw people out, though; I haven't been to any so I can't comment. I also haven't been to any schools that had school buses.