Server Crashing

m0nkym0nky Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14741Members
<div class="IPBDescription">help</div> everytime i change the map or about every 20-30 mins my server will crash. just before it closes it says something like <b>info string limit exceeded</b>. i dont know if thats exact but thats very close to it. i run amx mod with loads of metamod plugins. because this is a temp server and not on 24/7 i also have a counter-strike server running in the backround. if anyone has a solution or can tell me what is causing this i would really appreciate it. thanks

Comments

• scottlscottl Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11232Members
    That error message sounds sooo farmiliar.... I think it has to do with one of your servers config values being tooo big(cvar's),
    (f.e. amx_imessage "THIS IS ONE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY BIG MESSAGE THAT THE GAME WILL NOT LIKE. AND THUS OUTPUT THAT ERROR MESSAGE" )

I believe that is what is causing it, although i am not certain of this. I have been wrong! Good luck!
  • m0nkym0nky Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14741Members
    anyone have a solution to this? i do not believe it has to do with my server.cfg but its possibly amx.
  • DuckDuck Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9195Members
    do any of your amx_ variables have huge values? You said that it says "something like <b>info string limit exceeded</b>". Look at your server log and tell us <b>exactly</b> what it says.
  • m0nkym0nky Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14741Members
    i found nothing suspicious in my logs except that my amx version is old. this could be the problem. ill update and see what happens
  • Spyder_MonkeySpyder_Monkey Vampire-Ninja-Monkey Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 8Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I get that error because I have too many setinfo varialbes... like...

setinfo HSAP password
    setinfo _digital_id password

certain variables also count towards this... your name, for instance, is an info string.

Do a setinfo with no variable attached like..

"setinfo "

Set some of those info lines to "" and see if that helps.
  • verboseverbose Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9968Members, Constellation
    It's possible that you're exhausting the "zone" memory; lots of the HL config information goes into that. Try adding this to your command line:

-zone 4096 -heapsize 40000

zone pulls from the heap, so if you increase zone, you should increase heapsize. Default heapsize is 32MB, so my example turns it up a bit past zone, in the remote case that you're running out of heap memory. Usually, if you exhaust the heap, you get a very descriptive "failed alloc" style message though.

Also m0nky, the exact, complete error message might help us narrow things down.