Ungorge Script

2»

Comments

• MayhemMayhem Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10128Members
    You can't write a script in the small language which would prevent a person from going gorge. It could detect if theres a new gorge and slay him but you're still losing 13 resources ... so I think the best approach is having a vote for which gorge you wanna get rid of.. I think some of the blame should fall on the autohelp messages. When you start a game it says to evolve right click go up and right. This teaches the newbs to go gorge... Yes I think it was a good idea for autohelp, but its definetly hurt pub servers. I don't think theres a good solution for the autohelp either. You cant exactly teach them about resource models and how extra gorges can hurt the gameplay. So I guess a more comprehensive manual and trying to get new players to read the forums strategy before jumping into a key role for the aliens.. I hope this issue does get addressed for 1.1
  • HtNickoliHtNickoli Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9786Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Simulation+Mar 2 2003, 11:24 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Simulation @ Mar 2 2003, 11:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Tcquest78 did you test your amx plugin? it doesnt work good on my server. When i type ungorge, the menu shows up. but no gorge was listed in the menu.

But is it not better to make a plugin that will do a vote before someone evolves to gorge,
    something like:

Simu wants to evolve to gorge. Do you agree?
    1.yes
    2.no <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what plugin this command is part of. Possible the democracy plugin. All the same, you could use the admin_vsay command to do what your asking.

IE:

admin_vsay Should X go gorge.

Will start a vote saying;
    "Should X go gorge?"
    1. yes
    2. no

But of course it will just run a vote and give you the result of the vote and thats it.
  • SimulationSimulation Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3603Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Mayhem+Mar 2 2003, 04:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Mayhem @ Mar 2 2003, 04:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You can't write a script in the small language which would prevent a person from going gorge. It could detect if theres a new gorge and slay him but you're still losing 13 resources ... so I think the best approach is having a vote for which gorge you wanna get rid of.. I think some of the blame should fall on the autohelp messages. When you start a game it says to evolve right click go up and right. This teaches the newbs to go gorge... Yes I think it was a good idea for autohelp, but its definetly hurt pub servers. I don't think theres a good solution for the autohelp either. You cant exactly teach them about resource models and how extra gorges can hurt the gameplay. So I guess a more comprehensive manual and trying to get new players to read the forums strategy before jumping into a key role for the aliens.. I hope this issue does get addressed for 1.1 <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what does a weaponrestrict plugin do. it prevents to buy a colt etc.
    In this case prevents to go gorge (impulse 114).
  • Tcquest78Tcquest78 Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10949Members
    Hmmm, I'm pretty sure you cannot catch 'impulse' commands with anything short of a MetaMod/AMX plugin/module. Also, a vote stopping them from gorging would only slow real gorges down, which would not be a good thing. What is possible is to allow him to gestate, start the vote, and if it fails slay him. Then, you could give 13 res to the next person to gorge. It would require an AMX module for catching the impulse and setting the res though...

Also, yes I tested the plugin...Were there any gorges when you tried it out? If there are none, it'll show up with nobody in the menu...
    there were 2 gorges, i will test it again, and make some screenies

better 10sec slowdown then a noob gorge.

what u also can do is make a vote from the start.
    Who is gonna be gorge now?
    1.Simu
    2.Tcquest78
    3.Mayhem
    and give him privelege the whole match.

if a second one would go gorge (mostly someone which has 33 res and quickly want to put a restower on), do my first suggestion.
  • Scum_of_the_UniverseScum_of_the_Universe Join Date: 2003-02-06 Member: 13174Members
    If you don't want newbie gorges, disallow any "gorge me" server requests from players with the on-screen help still enabled. (personally I dislike this whole idea.)
    Whats gorge me ? As far as I know the user uses an impulse command to gestate into a gorge.. Something that you cannot catch with a script. I've thought about this quite a bit, and I've gotten flamed for the idea and the script. But when its actually on the server people love it. And people complained when it wasn't available for them.
  • Scum_of_the_UniverseScum_of_the_Universe Join Date: 2003-02-06 Member: 13174Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Mayhem+Mar 2 2003, 08:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Mayhem @ Mar 2 2003, 08:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Whats gorge me ? As far as I know the user uses an impulse command to gestate into a gorge.. Something that you cannot catch with a script. I've thought about this quite a bit, and I've gotten flamed for the idea and the script. But when its actually on the server people love it. And people complained when it wasn't available for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, an impulse command as you suggest.
    I don't think newbie gorges are something that should be banned. Otherwise they stay newbies.. (players who don't rtfm **** me off though...)
    edited March 2003
    Well this isn't like voogrus metamod plugin. It doesn't ban a person from going gorge even after theyve been voted (slayed). Its basically to stop gorges from piling up at the begining of a game when you have just 1 resource tower to support them. Its really an early game tool, and possibly a late game tool if you lose a hive and you need to save for one quickly.
    bumpbump,

argh i hate the [NO-CD]NSPlayer guys who go gorge and build OC/SENSOR all over the place!!!
    is there nothing this issue can solved?

Allow newbie to go gorge?
    1.yes
    2.no
    While it IS possible, it'd be more restrictive than useful... If, at the beginning of the game, you have to haev a vote allow you to gorge, you cuold really get slowed quite a bit. Imagine the beginning of a Marine game if you had to vote for someone to comm =\. You'd be quite a bit behind on getting IPs, etc. etc.
  • scottlscottl Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11232Members
    I do have to say i am trying out Tcquest's script and it seems to work after you go gorg yourself(from what i have tested it), and throughout the game after you have been gorg. Otherwise it just shows up blank. I think having [Who]Them's 1gorg/hive deal and a vote gorg out script works. I have the 1gorg/hive on my server now and I think it works great, you really only need 1 gorg as it is.... Also, NSPlayer, I got tired of see'ing ppl like that join into my server so I just made a script to publicly announce when NSPlayer joins, Send him a nice greeting, "NSPlayer Has been banned for 5 minutes due to his lack of experience", No more NSPlayer com's/gorg's for me.. hehe...

But it would be great if someone could either fix up or TCquest could fix up his script to work 100% of the time...
    Alrighty, that should be fixed...

Try downloading it again from:
    <a href='http://68.5.220.130:27016/ungorge.sma' target='_blank'>http://68.5.220.130:27016/ungorge.sma</a>
  • scottlscottl Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11232Members
    Excellent job, Works great now!