Balance

OldManRipper-nCOldManRipper-nC Join Date: 2003-02-23 Member: 13871Members
<div class="IPBDescription">The Yin Yang of Commanding</div> I go for an arms lab first with mines. Defense upgrades at the start of the game allow for more mistakes and extends your marines lifespans. This also lets you take the resources and/or hives. While turrets aren't as great as they used to be, they are still an awesome deterrent. To avoid spending massive resources on farms however only build 3-4 per location. Corner the TF, place the turrets in a line before it, and then a pack of mines around the TF. This usually is a solid defense against skulks. Granted, I have my marines perfom these building tasks in steps (I'm usually building somewhere, upgrading, and assaulting a resource tower all at the same time). First step should always be to take the resource tower you are trying to protect with the turrets. Step two is to make sure your TF is against a wall. Step three is to distract the aliens at another location while you build turrets here. Step four is to place the turrets in line, much more effective for some reason. Step five is to mine the place and abandon it in favor of more expansion.
Sure, you can just JP and HMG anything, but I find that average marines die way too often this way. Also, the changes coming will destroy jetpacking as we know it which is why I try to develop strategies now that I can use later.
Once more, the key is balance. The only way to obtain a complete victory is to control the territory, and you cannot do that until the turret is on the ground and scanning for hostiles.

-OldManRipper

Comments

• AyatollahAyatollah Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11921Members
    Personally, I'm more a fan of either

1) pressuring the main hive while a lone marine caps nodes on the opposite side of the map.

2) capturing 2/3 nodes close to base and staying in.

either way, i rely on my marines for defences and get motion tracking early so i can be ready for rushes. effective cover of a location with a TF sinks requires 20+19+19+19 res (at LEAST). a res nozzle on its own takes around a minute (72 seconds?) to pay off for itself, throwing a TF in there almost quadruples the time it does - plus the resource that you sink into that is res that you don't sink into weapon upgrades which is time for the aliens to carapace which is strongly lowered efficiency of turrets (phew!).

if I have to defend, mines are a WONDERFUL solution - much more resource efficient than turrets. five mines cover fairly effectively, and prevents skulks from circling a resource tower to shield them from shooting marines.

btw yes, these are pub tactics accounting for average-skilled marines who know how to use motrack.

-Ayatollah