Vent Shapes And Sizes?

HellbillyHellbilly A whole title out of pity... Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3931Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">What are yours?</div> Like you know, i´m new to mapping and i was wondering what dimensions and texture is used on the most common type of vent. Like the one´s in ns_caged and ns_nothing with the red texture´s. Is that a rust texture with texture light set to red?

Comments

• RevenantRevenant Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12249Members
    its a texture with lots of rd lighting, come to think of it. what is the texture name of the vents (and some ceilings) in ns_caged?
  • HellbillyHellbilly A whole title out of pity... Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3931Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I´m not sure, but my best guess is d6_rust.

And how big is a crouching marine in units? I wanna have my vents small, but not too small.
  • ImaTargetImaTarget Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3415Members
    32x32 units, same as a skulk. go for a minimum of 40x40 id say and you should be relatively safe i´d think.
  • MessyTreatMessyTreat Join Date: 2002-12-21 Member: 11309Members
    Please ensure that your vents are either wide or have areas where they widen up to allow for passing. It is a real pain in the butt to have to reverse 4 or 5 guy because a vent is blocked when you get to the end. It ends up looking like a three stooges video.

Just my observations and suggestions. Take them for what you will.

MST
  • SycophantSycophant Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7092Members
    Sorry, what I meant was having them <i>all</i> tall enough to build in. What I had in mind when I wrote that was a scenario where small clumps of DC's were in the vents every 10 feet. In that situation, a Lerk who sticks his nose out of <i>any</i> vent can umbra, spike for a while, then take a few steps back to heal. If the marines start tossing grenades in, the Lerk could just simply move to another spot and keep spiking.

The way it is now, there's only a handful of buildable vent locations on the official maps. The battles should be on the main section of the map itself; the vents are intended to be a quick passage for the smaller aliens (and I guess jetbo's too).
  • SycophantSycophant Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7092Members
    Something else to possibly keep in mind is to avoid making them tall enough so structures can be built in them. Having clumps of DC's in the vents would seriously frustrate the bajeesus out of marines. Likewise, a hidden vent siege bombarding a hive is just as bad.
  • RevenantRevenant Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12249Members
    you mean like by the marine spawn in ns_caged? and at the other end by the sewer vestibule you can build their too, and with the siege thing hes obviously going on about the little 'alcove' near the viaduct hive in ns_nothing. but does things make it a challenge Sycophant, thats why they are how they are