Stop altering the maps

Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
Took a break from NS2 only to come back to notice a lot of bad changes, one of the biggest was the removal of hiding and build spots on the maps. Over the past year there have been far too many changes to the maps where it benefits the marines or hurts the aliens. Several of these I can point out:

Conduit on Refinery, almost all of the hiding places have been removed in and between the pipes.
Landing pad on Docking, gorges can’t build a gorge tunnel just above terminal anymore.
Crevice on Summit, the vent leading to Atrium was lowered so that marines could use it.
Ceiling fans on Mineshaft, there were many unique and cool spots where aliens could hide and some could as a perfect bile bomb location (or gl spot for marines) but they were removed.

I have to ask why many of these changes were made, they shouldn’t have been removed because one or two players said that was unfair and it took away unique and cool perspective on game play.

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited December 2013
    Oh its you again... Thought we lost you in the BT thread!

shame.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Exploits are going to be around forever and should mainly be enforced on the servers they play on rather than changes large parts of the maps to do it. Hell there’s still an exploit in Veil at topo where marines can build inside of the wall and it’s been there since the map was available.

Now removing hiding spots for aliens and many times marines as well is something I simply don’t understand. It’s fun and intuitive to explore maps and find cool players where you can go and use as exceptional sneak attacks on the opposing team or hiding spots for safety.

In almost every single preview of this game or video you can see aliens hiding in the rafters, hiding in the pipes, hiding in the dark areas of the map waiting for the marines to approach to perform a sneak attack. So every time maps get edited to remove those places UWE is taking away what they promised viewers in videos.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The only reason exploits were enforced server side on countless other games was because most game devs don't give a sht and won't take the time to actually fix them. UWE, on the other hand, still takes time to fix bugs and exploits in their game.

Also, why are you complaining about the 'you-will-never-get-this' spots? Removing stupid gorge tunnel spots actually makes aliens have to defend their structures.... you know... kinda like how the marines can't leave phase gates unattended?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Know pain wrote: »
    Exploits are going to be around forever and should mainly be enforced on the servers they play on
    No. They should be fixed.

Those weren't intended hiding spots you were talking about (conduit, for instance) .. they allowed for invincible gorge tunnels amongst other things. You can still hide in many spots in that room still.
    Landing pad you can still hide in.. you just cant make a tunnel there in the first minute of a round.
    The vent in crevice you can still hide in, it was changed so marines could contest a vent leading into a techpoint room (this is why warehouse on tram is the same way and is a balance lesson we've learned after many years)
    Ceiling fans in mineshaft were not a hiding place.. they were a place to bile bomb from safely, as you adequately pointed out.

Meaning.. the things you listed were not used for hiding, and were changed for balance, so are you sure you are arguing in favor of actual hiding spots?
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    A lonely guy that came back after a time, thinking he will troll a few servers with his favorite exploits... but they are gone! What a shame.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah I loved troll regen skulks in crevice vent too.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Most of the changes are good. Tho I really miss classic docking. Stability, courtyard, east wing, maintenance and generator, to be precise (if only they could fix arcing and more or less keep all the architecture).
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I miss those gorge tunnels. I would rather have them researched again and have those spots.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is one of those threads where you look at the title and you already know there's going to be a string of disagrees
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Know pain wrote: »
    Took a break from NS2 only to come back to notice a lot of bad changes

? and you expected to come back to the same game? with no updates/changes?
    Then i would see you make a thread about there being no changes? no updates?
    These updates have made the game play and feel alot better than before.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know this is a old thread but....its true, stop altering the core maps. make new maps instead.
    And stop removing features that harm alien combat.

I came here because of recent changes to refinery, which was one of my fav maps to command as marine and play as alien. Map is basically even more Marine sided. Severally key areas were alerted that remove cover for aliens. It does not play as well as the original creator designed it.

This is really an ongoing theme for all maps, where aliens lose cover and places to hide or vents get removed or altered. Fun is subsequently killed and the game turns into some linear corridor shooter instead.

Also I remember when I first got the Alpha or Beta, and Tram had some under passes that aliens skulks could run under.

I play mostly as Skulk.