Subnautica/SubZero's saving system isn't good enough

spidyjuicespidyjuice 2004 Join Date: 2021-01-20 Member: 267041Members
story:
A few days ago during a longg play session of Below Zero late into the night my game crashed alongside a couple other programs in a fit of my computer performing some funky Windows behaviors, and I lost many hours of save data. It was a huge bummer, really frustrating, and I wasn't sure if I could go back to the game anymore (but I did after a couple days cuz I missed it too much). Right when that happened I was messaging a friend, who when I told them that that happened, they told me that they also lost a bunch of progress to a crash back when they played the first Subnautica, rage quitted for a day, and had to speed back through the game to catch back up to where they roughly left off again. As I woke up today, I kid you not, another friend who's been playing the first Subnautica for the first time alongside me, as I've been playing Below Zero, messaged me saying that their save data got corrupted so they couldn't play anymore. None of these events would have sucked as much as they did with a saving system less reminiscent of a ps2/gamecube game.

the actual point of this post:
Sorry if some frustration comes out of me but I was surprised to realize that none of these features already existed: time-interval autosave, automatic save backups, and/or the un-requirement of overwriting previous saves every time you save the game.

When I asked myself why there might not already be autosaving I thought of an argument that it would be annoying if the game suddenly started hanging in order to save while I was in the middle of a leviathan chase or something, but I can tell you that if it was an option, I would turn it on...

(this is my first post so I also wanna say I really like these games by the way)

(also why isn't the game called Subnautica: Sub Zero?)

Comments

• HerobrinesbestminionHerobrinesbestminion Join Date: 2019-12-07 Member: 256209Members
    I might not be the right person to say this because I never had a crash but the save is better then most games I play because I like games where you open the menu to avoid stuff happening and then the save button jumps in your face.... otherwise the game might crash when I forgot to save XD and belive a minecraft player: autosave is not perfect XD