Controller Menu missing (Steam, Steam Controller)

JerryT944JerryT944 Join Date: 2020-11-18 Member: 265530Members
So I'm on my second playthrough 240+ hours total. SC works fine. Then one day, Subnautica doesn't see it, in fact there isn't even a Controller menu at all in Options. So I can't just Enable it. I saw one other person at the tail of the Controller Issue thread mention a similar experience. The SC works fine with my other games. Here are some of the things I've tried:

Uninstall - Reinstall. Format HDD, install Win10, Steam and Subnautica. Update SC firmware. Install on a completely different computer. I've verified the download cache after each new Reinstall. Deleted options.bin under ...\Saved Games\Options Tried various controller configurations and options.

I've tried Steam support and they sent me here. I'm hoping that someone has an idea of what I may have missed. Or has already solved this.

Comments

• kaikurakaikura Join Date: 2020-11-28 Member: 265702Members
    Sad to say I can’t help, but I am having the exact same issue! Tried the majority of your troubleshooting as well (didn’t reinstall windows) exact same issue.
  • Naked_SingularityNaked_Singularity Join Date: 2020-11-28 Member: 265710Members
    +1 for this. It's really baffling that the controller menu option just disappeared from the options menu even though there was no patch. I hope that this is fixed soon as I would like to enjoy the visuals on my TV where I play with a controller with my daughter.
  • JerryT944JerryT944 Join Date: 2020-11-18 Member: 265530Members
    Update: Not long after posting this I came across this thread, which I had found much earlier but has now had more information added.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/3/2993165479020200811/

What they are suggesting is that Steam updated the Steam client, effectively removing controller support from games that use the Unity game engine, like Subnautica.

So it is now up to Unknown Worlds to push out a Subnautica update for those of us on Steam, to fix the controller problem.
    Mystery solved. Now we wait.
    Thank you for the further investigation, I hope they fix it.
  • WyrdOneWyrdOne Portland, OR, USA Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204574Members
    +1 I was just diving back into Subnautica, and introducing it to a friend, but my Controller buttons were crazy wonky.

Really hoping it is a simple fix, but I'm guessing it'll take 1 good dev a couple weeks of focused effort to really get it dialed in.

Until then... we wait.
  • AenigmaAenigma Russia Join Date: 2020-01-31 Member: 257527Members
    edited December 2020
    I play on a PC with a gamepad Dualshock 4 configured in Steam. When the gamepad is connected via Bluetooth, the game does not see it, but if the gamepad is connected via a cable, it does.
  • JerryT944JerryT944 Join Date: 2020-11-18 Member: 265530Members
    edited December 2020
    Update: So Steam support gave me the option of joining the current Client Beta. Once the client updated to the Beta version I reconfigured Subnautica to use my trusty Steam Controller. It totally works now, just like before. And the Controller menu is back in Options again. I don't know how this may effect other games, being a Beta version. But for the moment I'll run with it. The good news is that at some point, in the not too distant future; this Beta will become the new Client. :)

Correction: Doesn't totally work correctly, had to swap the trigger buttons.
    Oh sweet! I will request to join the beta! Thank you