Question about skins

Blueray42Blueray42 Join Date: 2020-07-29 Member: 262875Members
So it looks like there are some limited time only skins such as the abyss skins and the commander unearthed skin for alien structures. I was wondering if there is any chance of these skins being available again in the future either for purchase, or to earn on a rotation? I unfortunately was not playing at the time that they were released and would love to have them. The abyss gorge in particular interests me, and I see that the abyss skulk is tradable but not the gorge. I understand certain skins like the spec ops for early backers being exclusive, but it's dissapointing to be locked out of any chance of other content just due to when I started playing and I am more than willing to pay for them or earn them somehow and was hoping that might be possible in the future even if it's after an extended wait time. Also as an aside, I'd would love to see more tundra skins for the missing items.

Comments

• KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The Abyss skins have never been available for purchase, they have always been rewards, and I do not see that change in the near future. Maybe once every Alien Lifeform has their Abyss skin they start with the Skulk again? But that would mean 4 more maps for your Gorge. ^^
    The pre-order ones will most likely never be available, because that would make them less special, and I actually respect UWE (whoever gets to decide it) for taking that stance. I get that it kinda sucks if you joined later and really want them, but I'm afraid, it's just a lesson that we cannot have everything we want in life. ;)
    I actually don't know of the unearthed skins for Alien structures. This is the first time I've been hearing about those. I only know the Toxin skins from the Catalyst Pack. BTW you might actually get a better answer over on the official Discord Server. Maybe not more satisfying, but more knowledgeable.
  • Blueray42Blueray42 Join Date: 2020-07-29 Member: 262875Members
    Yeah, Kopunga I am aware the abyss skins can't be bought normally, and I respect them for having some exclusive stuff too, that's why I mentioned the spec ops armor. I just want a chance at the limited time free skins like the abyss, it doesn't make much sense to me to put the effort into the skin, make it free, then restrict it based on time. The unearthed alien skins have purple instead of orange spots. Thanks for the response.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well I always thought of the Abyss skins as incentive to play the new map, despite it being new, so they can get good data on how the map performs balance wise. Therefore the offer (used to be) limited, to create a sense of urgency, to increase the willingness of players to play the new map. But I might be mistaken.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    the abyss lerk skin is not time limited btw. Just play 6 rounds on metro (since 334) and you got it
    edited July 2020
    I always thought of the Abyss skins as incentive to play the new map
    this is a fair point and if so, oh well. I just was hoping to show that there is interest in these skins, and since you can still get the lerk and skulk, was hopeful. Though I wouldn't think making the skin available again would be too big a deal since it will continue to encourage play on those maps. I know on the server I play on most people just stick to veil as much as they can anyway. To add on to that, cycling their availability occasionally would let new players still get them while also keeping the "limited" so that there is still demand for them Warframe did this with a lot of items after constant criticism about exclusive content.

Yeah a common pub rotation is veil, tram, veil, summit, veil, tram, veil, docking, veil, tram, veil, refinery repeat. xD
    I don't know how content was handled in Warframe, but if it was the way I think, there is a huge difference in limiting content you get for free and content you buy. One urges you to play, the other to spend. Also if you need to play only 5 or 6 rounds to get all content (because it's only one skin). I would like to get the Abyss Skulk for free too, but I don't really care THAT much. If I get it: fine, if not: meh.
    The warframe content is free too, I was thinking event rewards that could only be gained through participation. Originally they were tied to only one event and if you missed it, oh well, but after a while they cycled them back in for others to get. Though it was usually hard to do so in order to maintain their status.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Hi,
    I just got back into playing this awesome game (got 300h playtime and played alot of ns1), and it looks and feels like it has never been better.
    I'm having a blast.
    I normally don't buy cosmetics in games, but I decided to support the development team and buy the new Catalyst pack.

I'm wondering, other people can see the skins on my character, but what about the structure skins? Are they visible to other players when I'm commanding?

They are.