Glacial basin landmarks/mapping system

Cire555Cire555 bend Join Date: 2018-01-02 Member: 234752Members
edited May 2020 in Ideas and Suggestions
Do you think they should include more landmarks such as the mountain that are viewable from the glacial basin so it’s easier to Orient yourself, or some kind of mapping system other than the path finder tool so you can chat out what you’ve already explored?

Comments

• HerobrinesbestminionHerobrinesbestminion Join Date: 2019-12-07 Member: 256209Members
    I wish for a ingame map since I jumped on the subnautica train.... it would make sans (what?) if there was some kind of area scan that allowed to create a map of places you visited...
  • BrolocaustBrolocaust Join Date: 2019-07-21 Member: 253849Members
    This game is all about exploration, so I can understand why UnknownWorld has been hesitant to add a map to the game. However I still think it's silly that we don't have a super basic mapping system.

All I want is a basic 2d map that shows my position relative to the most obvious landmarks, such as Alterra bases, glaciers and large shipwrecks. It should only show landmarks that have already been discovered. This would seriously reduce the amount of disoreintation I get in this game without ruining the sense of discovery.

I'm pretty sure I get lost more often in this game than any other game I've ever played...
  • BrolocaustBrolocaust Join Date: 2019-07-21 Member: 253849Members
    I've been thinking about this and I have an idea that would not "cheat" the exploration aspect of this game at all.

All I want is to be able to view my current way points, beacons and vehilces (basically all of the locations that show up in the HUD) on a map. From this map I should be able to quickly toggle which of these items are visible in my HUD and which ones are not.

The HUD becomes cluttered if you deploy too many beacons and almost every instance of me drowning in this game was caused by me swimming towards the wrong beacon.
  • WarvisWarvis Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226701Members
    This could be a nice opportunity for a scanner room enhancement, showing every built scanner's area in a single 2d-map, plus beacons.
    Bonus points if you can manage the beacons right on that map ;)
  • hellohhelloh Join Date: 2020-06-23 Member: 262076Members
    Cire555 wrote: »
    Do you think they should include more landmarks such as the mountain that are viewable from the glacial basin so it’s easier to Orient yourself, or some kind of mapping system other than the path finder tool so you can chat out what you’ve already explored?

yes, subnauticamap.io works well, they could partner with them.