Is Subnautica a NS:2 Prequel? (Spoilers)

JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
I think so.

This game ends really well. It gave me goosebumps yesterday when I first flew off of the planet, but it got me thinking; did we actually survive leaving the planet? I know there's already a thread discussing this question but this isn't the core of my post; I'm just going to put my opinions of this question here. No, I don't think we survived. Firstly, the Emperor talking to us makes no sense when she does. She is dead. Unless this is a message from beyond the grave, I don't know how she's able to do this. Maybe her kinetic abilities allowed her to achieve immortality, like a Force Ghost, but it's sort of convenient that she didn't bring this up when she was going on about dying for the entire third act of the game. Secondly, she says that she went to the sands as we go to the stars. If we take her "going into the sands" in isolation, it's talking about death. She's comparing it to us going into the stars, which, in this sort of comparison, would mean that we would die.

It's a fact that this game is set in the same universe as Natural Selection; the devs don't try and hide it, which I respect. It's obvious from the similarities between the Carar and the Kharaa that they are linked.

My theory is that the Neptune acted as a sort of biological weapon against the Federation, and when it landed and was cracked open the infection spread immediately.

As soon as we hit the water in Subnautica we are infected. When we heal ourself using the enzyme (the name escapes me) and then we teleport back up to the gun. What I think is that this teleportation saw us infected again. Carar is a bacterium. Rubbing an enzyme into your skin will get into your pours and stay there for a while, but it isn't permanent. If one single bacterium survives the enzyme, then it will reproduce and spread. I think that we leave the planet with, even just a little bit of, the Carar in our bodies and that grows throughout our journey home.

The problem with this theory is that the gun gets shut down after you heal yourself. We could, however, interpret the gun's scan in a way that it scans for the enzyme, instead of scanning for the Carar. If it scans for the enzyme and finds it, regardless of whether the Carar is in your system, the gun will shut down, instead of vice versa. We could also say that your scanner works the same way to fix the self scan problem.

In conclusion, I believe that you were the one that started the Carar infection in the first place. You died in the Neptune, and that pod became just a carrier of the Carar infection, and when it was opened it meant the instant spread of the bacterium. There isn't much evidence for this, and it does require some bending of things in game, but even if it doesn't completely hold up this will be my head canon until proven otherwise.

Comments

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited January 2018
    *cough cough* gorg plush and Soldiers fighting kharar posters *cough cough*
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    I think so.

This game ends really well. It gave me goosebumps yesterday when I first flew off of the planet, but it got me thinking; did we actually survive leaving the planet? I know there's already a thread discussing this question but this isn't the core of my post; I'm just going to put my opinions of this question here. No, I don't think we survived. Firstly, the Emperor talking to us makes no sense when she does. She is dead. Unless this is a message from beyond the grave, I don't know how she's able to do this. Maybe her kinetic abilities allowed her to achieve immortality, like a Force Ghost, but it's sort of convenient that she didn't bring this up when she was going on about dying for the entire third act of the game. Secondly, she says that she went to the sands as we go to the stars. If we take her "going into the sands" in isolation, it's talking about death. She's comparing it to us going into the stars, which, in this sort of comparison, would mean that we would die.

It's a fact that this game is set in the same universe as Natural Selection; the devs don't try and hide it, which I respect. It's obvious from the similarities between the Carar and the Kharaa that they are linked.

My theory is that the Neptune acted as a sort of biological weapon against the Federation, and when it landed and was cracked open the infection spread immediately.

As soon as we hit the water in Subnautica we are infected. When we heal ourself using the enzyme (the name escapes me) and then we teleport back up to the gun. What I think is that this teleportation saw us infected again. Carar is a bacterium. Rubbing an enzyme into your skin will get into your pours and stay there for a while, but it isn't permanent. If one single bacterium survives the enzyme, then it will reproduce and spread. I think that we leave the planet with, even just a little bit of, the Carar in our bodies and that grows throughout our journey home.

The problem with this theory is that the gun gets shut down after you heal yourself. We could, however, interpret the gun's scan in a way that it scans for the enzyme, instead of scanning for the Carar. If it scans for the enzyme and finds it, regardless of whether the Carar is in your system, the gun will shut down, instead of vice versa. We could also say that your scanner works the same way to fix the self scan problem.

In conclusion, I believe that you were the one that started the Carar infection in the first place. You died in the Neptune, and that pod became just a carrier of the Carar infection, and when it was opened it meant the instant spread of the bacterium. There isn't much evidence for this, and it does require some bending of things in game, but even if it doesn't completely hold up this will be my head canon until proven otherwise.

The self - scan message DID say it was in a dormant state...
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Yes it is a prequel. It has been confirmed before. The only problem is that Anthomina keeps calling it a theory
  • mihaelnikomihaelniko Join Date: 2020-06-14 Member: 261855Members
    No, the scanner doesn't scan for Enzyme 42. It scans for existing (bad)bacteria in your body. Otherwise, it would have said that you were infected at the beginning of the game (before the "assistant" tells you to perform a self-scan). And if the alien scanner was scanning for Enzyme 42, the player would have been able to deactivate the weapon even before hatching the baby sea emperors (you would be able to deactivate the gun after you have entered Sea Emperor's aquarium, because he(she) too produces Enzyme 42, just in smaller quantities).
    I hope I was helpful :)
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    man this necro post was so bad it brought me back from the dead