Preparing for the journey by purchasing blueprints or supplies at the start.

RossumRossum Join Date: 2019-07-12 Member: 253707Members
Just a thought that occurred to me.

On the previous story, it was listed on the PDA that Robin has blueprint licensees for basic items only. Like the basic tools, habitat structures, a knife, no vehicles, etc and that fabricating of unlicensed items can be docked from her payroll.

Now that the story has changed and it looks like Robin has had time to prepare for her journey, it would be neat if the player was given the opportunity to purchase blueprints (or other supplies) before heading to the planet's surface. Perhaps at the start of the game the player has X number of credits which they can use to purchase various blueprints or supplies before getting to the planet, signifying Robin spending her savings to prepare for her mission.

I think it could make for a pretty nice way for players to adjust the difficulty for their game by preparing for the adventure ahead of time, making it look like Robin has been giving this some thought, and helping to add to the immersion or investment on the part of the player.

We could start with her learning about her sister's death or disappearance, cut to her spending her savings on a ticket to the planet along with supplies and blueprints for the journey, and finally end cut to her flying her ship to deploy the life pod. Depending on how the devs want to go about it, there might be some items that in-universe are on a restricted list (things like the PRAWN suit or stasis gun) that she shouldn't have access to as a civilian but decided to buy on the black market to guarantee she has access to it on her journey.

Comments

• darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited March 2020
    I like the idea in principle, but I doubt this will see play. It would require a lot of effort to balance the credit costs of each item or blueprint.

But I could imagine a settings screen that displays a checkbox or ruler for each console command. That way, the user could adjust the 'difficulty' level quite well (f.e. turning off weather or altering the duration of a day/night cycle).

That however might then lead to further requests. Players might want to redesign other aspects as well, like the way the oxygen bar is displayed. And this might eventual lead to a situation similar to ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) where a tool is required to manage the addons (see Minion).

I for one would love to change the way how minerals are gathered => to only collect the mineral nodes and to be forced to refine them in your base (similar to scrap metal). I'd alter the time & energy cost to fabricate other stuff as well (3s to get water out of a fish, but several minutes to filter sea water), which would vastly change the energy management. And would want to increase the cost for habitats to make this more meaningful (an indoor growbed f.e. costs twice as much as an I-compartment).