Limited Oxygen in vehicles

VMaverickVMaverick Greece Join Date: 2019-01-25 Member: 249327Members
Wouldn't be more challenging for vehicles to have limited supply of oxygen?
Small vehicles like seamoth should have small amounts of oxygen and bigger ones they can produce it.
Upgrades or going to surface will help.
It would be more scary to be into the abyss and have limited oxygen or limited oxygen production and of course more realistic.
Besides, we are playing a survival game!

Comments

• Hotaru_ZokuHotaru_Zoku A world of 75% water. Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234304Members
    MMMMmmmm…..*concerned meme*

MAAAYYYBEEE.....but it would have to start somewhat generous, and mods would need to improve it. Plus it would be tricky to balance. Part of what's so cool about vehicles now is if you're willing to risk yourself they extend your explorable depth and time slightly.

Limited 02 would remove even that advantage of them....they'd need to be improved elsewhere to make up for it. Like stronger hulls or higher top speed. Otherwise you're just farming for a really big 02 tank.
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    Suggested that long ago.
    My take is that you can make it work by including it into the NOISE GAMEPLAY

Produce O² ? => then predator can track you and attack
    Silent mode ? => well you aren't moving, predator can't track you but you are also not going to last indefinitely.

But I doubt they are going to do any fundamental gameplay change. I gave up on that.
  • JaitniumJaitnium Join Date: 2019-07-29 Member: 253986Members
    I think this should only be a hard mode setting.
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited August 2019
    First of all, Subnautica is a sandbox game, not really a survival game. This means, the game introduces only symbolic inconveniences.

But you can still dive in a depth >20m without significant health issues; you can still see the surroundings; titan rods have no weight and are created instantly using only solar power; your oxigen tank is refilled instantly; there are no hit zones and no different vitamine levels... and so on. In other words, countless possibilities to introduce more inconveniences.

In order to justify new / different symbolic inconveniences, it has to add something cool to the game. The heat bar in Below Zero f.e. adds cool new visuals to the game, new plants/biomes and a above-sea-level short term resource.

To give your submarines a limited oxigen doesn't really achieve anything, except to give the user an additional numeric value to keep in mind. And the proper handling would be just annoying. So it's surely not the way I'd choose.

As a player, I can build several oxigen tanks and store them in backpacks and other storage containers of my SeaTruck or SeaMoth. A limited oxigen supply would simply result in more tanks I'd carry with me. And switching between tanks, diving up or docking to a moonpool to refill them would be just annoying.

But the worst: oxigen handling would then be more or less identical to energy handling (energy cells vs. oxigen tanks).

That's why the current game separates these two resources in a clever way:
    Oxigen represents your short term resource (other games use stamina/mana), whereas energy represents the long term resource. Each resource has it's very unique gameplay (oxigen plants to refill your short term resource, base management to handle your long term resource).

The devs screwed this up though in regard of batteries. It's annoying to handle the recharge (you can't recharge a tool directly; you have to cycle through every tool and every battery). This is a great example of wasted development time/money.

To sum it up: If the goal is to increase the survival aspect, there are way better options. An easy one would be to just limit how fast the SeaTruck or SeaMoth can be repaired.

NOISE GAMEPLAY

Produce O² ? => then predator can track you and attack
    Silent mode ? => well you aren't moving, predator can't track you but you are also not going to last indefinitely.

But I doubt they are going to do any fundamental gameplay change. I gave up on that.
    I have no issue with 'noice' being a relevant aspect in Subnautica (or any other game). I love movies like A Quiet Place. But why should an O² generation make any noice, if it can be produced via electrolysis?

• Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2019
    VMaverick wrote: »
    Wouldn't be more challenging for vehicles to have limited supply of oxygen?
    Small vehicles like seamoth should have small amounts of oxygen and bigger ones they can produce it.
    Upgrades or going to surface will help.
    It would be more scary to be into the abyss and have limited oxygen or limited oxygen production and of course more realistic.
    Besides, we are playing a survival game!

I think the best answer is that the vehicle simply recycle the oxygen in the water. Real submarines just do that, and treat CO² problems too by rejecting it.
    Same for the astronaut in the space station, water and CO² filters.

So to me it makes perfectly sense that in the future this kind of tech work for a miniature vehicle as a big one. It just need power to make the systems work.

The challenge for oxygen should be elsewhere, by exploring deep caves where no vehicles (even the smallest) can't go.
  • PierroxPierrox Join Date: 2020-01-21 Member: 257323Members
    This may acceptable, however I think that this idea would not add anything of value and only add frustration through another thing to micromanage.
    They key question to ask when modding a game is "What does that bring to the experience?" and in this case, I don't see much value.
  • AmtheminerAmtheminer Join Date: 2020-02-14 Member: 257893Members
    Sounds good on paper, but not in practice