Map Room - Active Mapping Capability

Hotaru_ZokuHotaru_Zoku A world of 75% water. Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234304Members
How is there legit not a mapping functionality in-game yet.

I stand by the idea that the scanner room is possibly the coolest tech ever used in a resource gathering game. Leaves the danger, removes the tedium. Beautiful.

But why not actual mapping capacity? Wouldn't a corporation dedication to the exploitation of alien worlds have /perfected/ on-the-fly mapping by now?

Look online. Check out the interactive Below Zero map that's already up. https://subnauticamap.io/belowzero

Imagine a capability to generate that ourselves, in game. You'd have some low tech version of it, something handheld that only scanned the immediate area, and a high tier version, a base structure, dedicated to it. Have it send out drones and automatically map the local environment over time, eventually leading to a multi-map room structure you could have at a base that could tie them all together, creating an actual, in-game, character developed topographical.

I'd love it. It'd add an additional sense of accomplishment to exploration, charting the depths you explore, and would further reduce fruitless backtracking and wandering when you needed something you already had access to, or at least the knowledge that if you need something new, you've never seen it, and need to look elsewhere.

Comments

• silk186silk186 Join Date: 2019-07-28 Member: 253984Members
    I would like a map, but a 3d mapping feature would be difficult. I would be happy with a 2d world map with beacons and player location. I guess that beacons and landmarks mostly remove the need.
    You can also add map files to your screenshots.
  • Hotaru_ZokuHotaru_Zoku A world of 75% water. Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234304Members
    edited July 2019
    That's exactly what I meant. Just a way to BUILD the current out-of-game 2D interactive maps IN the game.

Jesus, no, a 3D mapping system? I can't even imagine what that would entail resource wise for the game, let alone the devs.

Something else came to mind during a replay of the original. When you first reach the kelp, the PDA says something like "The life here grows in unusually distinct and diverse biomes. Further research recommended."

I realized while you can research /parts/ of each biome, you can't research the biomes THEMSELVES.

I'd love a Research Annex, a place where you can correlate data you find, maybe through in some resources here and there for scientific experimentation System Shock style, and have it output new findings on the biomes themselves, maybe giving you access to better resource gathering, or maybe even ways to pacify certain predatorial fauna and the like.

Heck, I'd like it just for lore.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I'd love a Research Annex, a place where you can correlate date you find, maybe through in some resources here and there for scientific experimentation System Shock style, and have it output new findings on the biomes themselves, maybe giving you access to better resource gathering, or maybe even ways to pacify certain predatorial fauna and the like.

Love this!
  • Hotaru_ZokuHotaru_Zoku A world of 75% water. Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234304Members
    Lord knows it would be the heaviest dev resource idea I've suggested yet, what with both mechanics AND lore involved, but hey. We're supposed to be doing research, and our PDA seems addicted to it, so why not reward scanning all those plants and animals and resources.
  • SSukeSSuke USA Join Date: 2019-07-30 Member: 254013Members
    silk186 wrote: »
    I would like a map, but a 3d mapping feature would be difficult. I would be happy with a 2d world map with beacons and player location. I guess that beacons and landmarks mostly remove the need.
    You can also add map files to your screenshots.

The devs gave a hard no on maps in the first game. Though I would love to see a very basic, rudimentary map. Even displaying only beacons and landmarks with no terrain would be a huge improvement on keeping track of what you visited and relative locations.
  • Bonecrusher26891Bonecrusher26891 Brodhead,Wisconsin,U.S.A. Join Date: 2019-11-13 Member: 255564Members
    edited November 2019
    I agree with this there needs to be a map function for the PDA and possibly a minimap. It is extremely difficult to explore the game without a map and I play on the Xbox and is still extremely difficult to explore and is like exploring blindfolded and have resorted to finding a picture of the map online to use. I am a Microsoft Xbox Insider Beta Tester also my Xbox Gamer Tag is SnakeEater49910 and has the Autobot Insignia for my picture.
  • zaru_rjzaru_rj Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255781Members
    How is there legit not a mapping functionality in-game yet.

I stand by the idea that the scanner room is possibly the coolest tech ever used in a resource gathering game. Leaves the danger, removes the tedium. Beautiful.

But why not actual mapping capacity? Wouldn't a corporation dedication to the exploitation of alien worlds have /perfected/ on-the-fly mapping by now?

Imagine a capability to generate that ourselves, in game. You'd have some low tech version of it, something handheld that only scanned the immediate area, and a high tier version, a base structure, dedicated to it. Have it send out drones and automatically map the local environment over time, eventually leading to a multi-map room structure you could have at a base that could tie them all together, creating an actual, in-game, character developed topographical.

I'd love it. It'd add an additional sense of accomplishment to exploration, charting the depths you explore, and would further reduce fruitless backtracking and wandering when you needed something you already had access to, or at least the knowledge that if you need something new, you've never seen it, and need to look elsewhere.

Totally agree with you Hotaru.
    It would be amazing indeed.

• FeiwuzeiFeiwuzei Hawaii Join Date: 2019-11-17 Member: 255638Members
    edited November 2019
    It already exists, in 3D. The scanner room is the big 3D map, just build a grid of scanner rooms every half a kilometer with offset rows, and the Seaglide has the hologram on top it. Cyclops had active side scanning sonar was the only other form I just thought of. (I find the little one annoying to look at when searching or just about any other time.) End of map.

Since this is development they need markers or fences where development ends and begins. I circumnavigated the big island yesterday, took about70% of the Seatruck charge, and only 25% of the island has anything adjacent to it. Couldn't find anything in the Fjord or one little cave. Mostly wall to 32M then shelf around it out for a few hundred meters and then drops off to 310m with another shelf. All in a pleasant flat sandy bottom. If you head west around it doesn't even have form just huge blocks for 50% of it. I presume this is part of future development. My build version is Sep 19404, maybe more on new ones.
    Only two biomes going around. Tundravoid and Watervoid in the extreme North.
  • KriilKriil Join Date: 2020-03-09 Member: 258634Members
    Please no mapping. It's one of things that makes Subnautica so good. It would destroy a lot of the game play.
  • BoffBoff Sweden Join Date: 2018-08-12 Member: 242804Members
    A compromise.
    The 3D map is only accessible in the scanner room.
    But multiple scanner rooms, add their bit to the overall image.
    Extension probs extend this image.

Controls in the Scanner room allows for zoom in/out and scroll.
    Scanner Sombre map was stuck in the Floor plane, so you could only ever scroll north/east/south/west.

As always the 3D map on the seaglide could be used to show the materials that the scanner has located.