Alien evasion stats (debugexposed / debugdodging)

KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
edited September 2019 in Modding
Hello world :),

Been working on some stuff recently and now that I got a first working version I am looking for any ideas or feedback on that.
This feature is able to give you the relative amount of damageable parts of your body exposed from the closest enemy, and the relative position you are in onscreen so you know if you spend your time more often at the edge of the marine's screen or eating hot potatoes. I will also take into account balance issues to only display the minimodel when in combat so you can't exploit that to detect marines sneaking on you. I will also do the average speed on screen.

The visible model percentage reference is the skulk, around 4% exposed from the front, and around 25-30% from the side.

Here are a few screenshots of the current feature:
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

This is running client side and is pretty light perf wise. (but still needs to be loaded server side for the consistency)

Comments

• ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    This is legit cool.
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    Impressive !
    Can you actually run that on pub servers ? Seems a bit OP :tongue:
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    antou wrote: »
    Impressive !
    Can you actually run that on pub servers ? Seems a bit OP :tongue:

You shouldn't be able to run it on pub servers, as a client/server mismatch should occur, however, if the mod is added to the server mod list it should work.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Incredibly useful for alien players, good stuff.
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited December 2017
    And here goes the first version. It is now also showing the average speed as seen by the closest enemy (so you have an idea on if you are actually not moving in place)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1250182935
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Hello there,

I figured out that the previous code I made was clearly not used at all (beside being kitch & all :p) because it doesn't give any kind of easy to use information, especially in the heat of the combat. So I scratched my head and tried to make a second shot more in line with other debug tools.

The Debug Dodging mod is showing two things:
    * The accuracy of marines when targeting you
    * The crosshair angle of the marine relative to you for every missed shots (to see how close you were from taking the bullet)

Both the angle and the accuracy are shown for the past 30, 150 and 5000 bullets fired at you and reset after each death.
    Sans_titre.png

If the mod is well received I might as well work on a pull request to add the values into ns2+ end game stats, along the "acc" column for aliens.

Steam workshop mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1867197633
    Mod publish_id = "6f4b2cc1"
    Mod console toggle = "debugdodging" or "dd"