[Critical Feature Request] Cyclops Engine Temperature Gauge

mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
edited July 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
We need to address the lolrandom fire issue that plagues the cyclops with the most recent update. To be honest aside from taking major damage the cyclops should never randomly catch fire. Currently it seems that most fires are not caused by damage but rather by the players running at full speed and overheating the engine. This is where the game suffers from a CRITICAL DEFECT in UI design and that is the fact that the cyclops hud lacks a temperature gauge. If the engine is capable of overheating at full speed than out of respect for the players the game should display a engine temperature gauge allowing the player to access the rather useful information that would allow them to see how hot the engine is and give them the option to lower speed or shut down the engine BEFORE it gets hot enough to start a fire.

Comments

• ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Totally agree :)

I have to notice the cyclops window is getting very cluttered :hushed:
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    The engine shouldn't overheat every 30 seconds. That would be a major design flaw. Why would they build it that way?
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited July 2017
    It is a stupid way to have it built in a way that causes the engine to over heat every 30 seconds if on the fastest setting But the devs added it to balance the cyclops, so you couldn't just stay in that mode forever and out drive everything
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    It is a stupid way to have it built in a way that causes the engine to over heat every 30 seconds if on the fastest setting But the devs added it to balance the cyclops, so you couldn't just stay in that mode forever and out drive everything

I can agree to it staying, but there needs to be a longer time before the engine overheats
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    edited July 2017

Except there is no need for this type of balance in an exploration game and the cyclops SHOULD be able to out run anything as long as you have power.

honestly this is one of those difficulty for difficulty sake things that I always rail against because it imposes artificial levels of difficulty that are unneeded (doesn't really have any effect on gameplay), unwanted (annoys the hell out of players), and implemented in a way that insults the players intelligence (engine made of explodium?) http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/ExplodingTuesday_2350.jpg

(three strikes and your out)

Though game mechanic idiocy aside I was not saying get rid of the overheating mechanic but rather make it avoidable. the fact that there is no indication of when the the engine is overheating is what causes the fires and a temperature gauge would give the player the ability to stop pushing the engine BEFORE the fire starts instead of having to count down mentally in their heads and guestimate how long you can run at max speed.

• mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    edited January 2019
    I know this is a Necro but seeing as the dev team is now releasing a new game without fixing the long standing cyclops issues I feel I should say something again. So loaded up the game today still no temperature gauge for the cyclops engine. Engine catches fire without the critical temperature warning. Its supposed to go Overheat .... Critical Temperature ... FIRE not catches fire after switching to normal speed prior to triggering the critical temp warning. DEVS had an entire year 2018 to fix this and yet its still an issue and they are working on a new game
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Ha ha ha! Funny post, seen that lots a times.
  • eanton84eanton84 Join Date: 2019-03-22 Member: 251907Members
    I've been searching for someone posting anything on the fact that there should be a temp gauge AT ALL in the Cyclops. Kinda breaks the immersion when the sub can't tell me what the water temp is, let alone the temp of the engines. (Although I agree engine temp should totally have a read out too.) Doesn't necessarily have to be on the piloting hub either. But outside and engine temp should both be accessible info to the pilot. Totally broke my 7 hour run of the game today, was jarred out of the immersion by this silly need. Otherwise, fantastic game tho...