Game sounds

zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Why is it ok to modify game sounds, as some competitive players do, giving them unfair advantage(my opinion[and in doing so hearing everything over twice the distance and way more clearly]).

I kind of understand why they would do it, as the vanilla sounds were changed a year or so ago and now blend together very easily(harder to focus on something small when a lot is going on). Its also much harder to hear anything in general, compared to how it used to be, which i dislike aswell.

What i would like to see is making it not ok to modify sounds at all, so that everyone is at even level.

But if it stays allowed to customize sounds, then my question is, what sounds am i allowed to modify? Is it ok to change them completely, or only to some extent?

Comments

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's not ok to modify game sounds. The game has a consistency checker that specifically prevents that, though some servers disable it due to issues from previous hotfixes.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know of anyone who modifies sounds other than hitbeeps.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    I don't know of anyone who modifies sounds other than hitbeeps.

Yes you're allowed to modify the damage feedback sounds by default.
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2019
    Well i have seen someone(not mentioning any names here) even streaming(multiple times) with modified sounds. And not too long ago(less than a week). So i guess these people should be banned. And that is almost all sounds(all lifeforms, marine walk etc.)
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    zenef wrote: »
    Well i have seen someone(not mentioning any names here) even streaming(multiple times) with modified sounds. And not too long ago(less than a week). So i guess these people should be banned. And that is almost all sounds(all lifeforms, marine walk etc.)

Feel free to message a dev on discord with links that demonstrate your claims and i'm sure it will be dealt with.
    zenef wrote: »

Just mention the server. It's easy but tedious to see which ones allow modifying the sound files.