Question: Prawn Suit availability

ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
Is it possible to unlock the Prawn Suit before going to the Aurora? I am doing another play through before I start playing Below Zero, and I am trying to delay going to the Aurora as much as possible. I looked on the wiki for wrecks that provide fragments, and so far I have found 3 Prawn fragments and, like, 5 arm fragments. I still need 1 more fragment or 15 more arms to unlock it. I will probably need to go back to the wrecks I have searched with a Scanner Room to make sure I didn't miss any fragments. The game has such a large redundancy of fragments and data boxes that it would be a shame that you would be required to go to the Aurora in order to get the Prawn Suit.
  • Wreck in the Sea Treader's Path (I didn't find any fragments here, though the wiki said there are supposed to be there)
  • Wreck near Lifepod 17
  • Wreck on the Underwater Islands
  • Wreck on the side of the Mountain Island

There is also a clear discrepancy between scanning Prawn Suit fragments and Prawn Suit Arm fragments that makes me wonder if this was just an oversight, because you either need to scan 4 Prawn Suit fragments or 20 Prawn Suit Arm fragments.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    The Sea Treader's Path one should be a good one, though. I always find some stuff there. Are you sure you've checked it out completely?

I haven't ever tried myself - it's way easier to get everything in the Aurora, but I do think it's possible.
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    I double checked Sea Treader's and Grassy Plateau, and there are no more Prawn fragments in either of them. I even built a scanner room, but there was no search option for fragments. I checked every possible inch of the wreck, but I must have gotten them all. Sea Treader's has a ton of Propulsion Cannon Arm fragments, and Grassy Plateau had a ton of Modification Station fragments. Next time I get on, I will check the other two. I know there is a room in the Underwater Islands wreck that you can only access with a Pro/Re-pulsion Cannon, but I'm certain there are no such rooms in the 2 I already checked thoroughly.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Yeah, okay. The STP wreck has some easily overlooked compartments (same for all of them, give or take the UI one), but it sounds like you've been thorough.

If I recall correctly, there's nothing of interest in the propulsion-locked room. Just one of those tight-spaced work rooms with at most one or two tool fragments in it, but probably not even that.

Sorry then, but that might be it (or you must luck out with the other two?). Perhaps something to try for a next time is to visit these wrecks to force them to spawn fragments, but not pick them up so the other wrecks will spawn them equally when you visit those. I recall doing that some updates prior to full release to get easier titanium.
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    I checked the other 2 wrecks, and no new fragments. There was a couple of wrecks that just had no fragments at all. I checked the wreck in the Blood Kelp Trench on my way to the Lost River to get Nickel, and there was 0 fragments, just a couple of databoxes and lots of closed cargo crates. I ended up going to the Aurora because I was tired of having the Radiation Suit sitting in my Seamoth storage.