Subnautica Below Zero Ideas

AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
edited February 2019 in Ideas and Suggestions
Add your Subnautica BZ ideas here!

Comments

• jhoonatand1jhoonatand1 Brazil Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249919Members
    Idea for Subnautica Below Zero

In Subnautica, we have the ThermoKnife, which is often used to cook fish, allowing us to eat it right away. What if we had a knife that could freeze the fish so that it would last longer, maybe 1 hour or even more, considering that the fish usually takes some time to go bad.

Fishes are often forgotten in our inventory or storage. By the time we find them, they have already gone bad. The "Frostknife" would prevent unnecessary killings and waste. I believe this is a great Idea and I would love to see it implemented in Below Zero.

What do you guys think?
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Thermoblade jhoonatand1
  • RunningStarRunningStar Join Date: 2019-02-01 Member: 249980Members
    What I’d Like to See
    • Some sort of cooking system would be fun to see! Like combining different ingredients to make a special dish that do something special
    •A boss fight if you are planning to add insane weapons
    •At least one flying animal, I’d enjoy seeing those. Then they could be killed with a ranged weapon and drop something cool maybe?
    •A seal like creature if you don’t already have one. And if you want it could be a bit smaller and tameable and help fight on command
    •Sled for fun
    •Some creepy creature, now I ain’t talking about the leviathans cuz they are scary don’t get me wrong. But i wanna see something that will make the player piss their pants. Something that will be scarier than the leviathan!!! Like horror game style. Just one c
  • bangaroo_jackbangaroo_jack Toronto Join Date: 2019-01-28 Member: 249537Members
    Harvest Lightning
    Harvest lightning by redirecting it in to a device with electricity and heat absorbing gel (also glows once fully charged.)
    The gel is in a battery like container which can then be used to power up the base or devices by extracting the stored electricity/heat from the lightning-cell using magnetic induction.
  • bangaroo_jackbangaroo_jack Toronto Join Date: 2019-01-28 Member: 249537Members
    Sources of Water

Complicating the sourcing of water could be an illuminating experience for the players because it is difficult to come about pure drinkable water in nature. At the same time providing the player with multiple venues of obtaining the water on the go will push them to work harder to obtain the ingredients for the below mentioned devices.

1. Considering that it's cold and continuously storming could the ice be harvested and molten down to get smaller quantities of water (perhaps the thermal blade could assist or one could improvise an ice-cream scoop like tool.)
    2. Mobile Water Desalination Device - this and/or 3
    3. Pill-form chemical-based desalination which reacts with NaCl in the sea water helped by a battery powered container which conduces and speeds up the reaction and the salt gets crystallized and attaches to the walls of the container.
    The resulting warm, pure water, adds to player warmth (esp. if hypothetical arctic scuba suit is not equipped.) The chemical could be a part of the vessel itself to simplify manufacture. However, this is a limited use device and depending on
    the size of the vessel it will produce less drinkable water after each use because the salt accumulates on the bottle walls and takes up space. This opens the possibility for harvesting of salt from these specialized vessels if some kind of a
    bottle recycling device is created.
    Arctic Scuba Suit
    1. If the player doesn't have it equipped the health of the player is affected just like if the player doesn't wear a radiation suit.
    2. Perhaps the suit itself requires a battery pack which will keep the fibrous insulation heated (fiber mesh treated for heat hyper-conductivity? perhaps the giant flowers on the land can be harvested.)
    3. The battery pack could only be compatible with a specific oxygen tank because that's where it will reside
    4. Because it is cold, the re-breather mask alone is not enough to keep the players head warm and the suit needs to cover the players head, hence slightly more material is needed to complete the arctic scuba suit (or perhaps a mask enveloping the entire head.)
    5. It is the future after all and maybe the simple fins are not enough in this cold environment. Perhaps, we can construct a see-glider type boots for our player which will allow his hands to be free to mine or defend himself.
    Flora and Fauna Adaptation

The fact that it is constantly cold in below zero yet so vibrant with life could indicate that animals and plants have adapted to life here in specific ways. Here are some examples:

1. Aquatic plants, much like the land plants, have the ability to produce heat for themselves and store heat when there is no sun. They are also thicker.
    2. Large predatory marine life has evolved thick skin and fur like features. There were no mammals in Subnautica, perhaps there could be a seal or sea-lion like species of marine life living in below zero zone.
    3. Small predatory marine life also has thicker skin and has to eat more frequently, however herbivores have evolved larger heads with specialized teeth and feral attitude because the plants are more difficult to eat and this makes them more dangerous to catch. For example, if they are approached head-on they will choose the fight response and could attack the player in order to get away but if they are approached from the side or from behind, they will choose the flight response and attempt to hide somewhere.

Dynamic Ice Shelf

1. The constant storming and temperatures below zero change the way ice forms on top of the water.
    2. Chunks of ice move about (due to wave action of the sea) and go towards the deeper areas and eventually melt away.
    Vehicle Conversion Module

Allows the vehicle to be converted into a permanent base installation

For example, if we equip the cyclops with the vehicle conversion module and activate it, the cyclops converts into a remote base. The action is permanent and cannot be reversed. The cyclops will become a permanent installation and can no longer be modified.

a. the bridge becomes a control room and observatory with a hatch
    b. the empty room before the seamoth/prawn suit bay becomes a multi-purpose room
    c. seamoth/prawn suit bay becomes the moon-pool
    d. the engine room becomes the power generation room for the base and a less effective scanner room

Unlike the bases we can build with the habitat builder nothing else can be added to the cyclops base. The better the cyclops was equipped the better the cyclops base will be equipped.

The cyclops base will resemble the actual cyclops vehicle but with significant physical differences. It could even look like it's been cut in half and only the top part is used.

• AsgateAsgate Join Date: 2019-02-02 Member: 250192Members
    I would like to see a base beacon build-able that would mark the base with a unique icon instead of having to use just a standard beacon. That or the Radio could act like a beacon for the base.
  • amid_hazzaramid_hazzar Australia Join Date: 2019-01-09 Member: 248405Members
    edited February 2019
    Add a good tune for Below Zero, perhaps for when you are in the depths?
    The buttons in the menu are so similar too, would have been nice to put a more unique below zero feel.
    Turn off clouds by default, or when I log back in, its recalled that I disabled clouds.
    Add (temp or might make main) tool tips in the menu, especially if the hint can dictate a smoother beta experience.
    Add more interaction with the environment during the introduction, maybe pick the blade up off a bench; I need something in my hands.
    When you destroy the snowman, you can take gear from it.
    Add earthquakes/shakes
    Related: At intro when you walk between the rock walls, intro the shakes and from the ridge’s rubble should fall to immerse you.
    Loved the glimpse of the alien at the start, then the chaos and being thrown into the depths.
    Loved that the supply drops occur; though, they could contain more rare items to help you. I would have loved lithium close to the end of the demo.
    The things that I wanted earlier in the game where: habitat builder, battery charger, aquariums and a seamoth.
    Things I just wanted: the environment and fall damage to hurt me more, to find lithium, better frames and to build multiple bases.
    I did warm up to the character, however I would had loved her to be intelligent, maybe a bit of a smart-arse; rebellious even, bring her own bad luck.
    For Al-an, he was adorable, but I can't help but wonder if he could be more of a suited partner for the above character description.
    I loved the biomes that have been created so far (the bigger the better). Whales, penguins and the fish that looks like a Warper portal from a distance.
    Add new below zero enemy at 100-200m with significant aggression/damage.

• PalanovaPalanova Join Date: 2019-02-03 Member: 250260Members
    For SN and SNBZ:

New spieces:
    Snail - it has a unique feature: it can buid its own shell. The shell building takes 3 days. Afer the fourth day the snail jettison it's shell, and start building a new one. From the empty shell the player can harvest minerals. If the empty shell leave just there, it disolve in three days. (this way we can avoid the overgrowing of the empty shells)

First idea:
    Different snail type for different depths. Different Snailshell can contain different material, depend of the depths where the snail found:
    Shallow snail: they shell can give what a player can find in the Limestone Outcrop.
    Reef snail: they shell can give what a player can find in the Sandstone Outcrop
    Cave snail: they shell can give what a player can find in the Shale Outcrop
    Lava Snail: they shell can give nickel, crystalline sulfur
    This way the player can "cultivate" them in Alien Containments, for gain access different minerals, so they don't have to travel all the time to get some Lithium, or Nickel from far away.

Second idea:
    One type of snail, but the player have to build different ecosystem in the different Alien Containment units to get different result.

And this lead to a new minigame:
    In the Alien Containment units player be able to build different ecosystem. For example the snail.
    If the player build an ecosystem what looks like the shallows, the snailshell can give what a player can find in the Limestone Outcrop.
    If the player build an ecosystem what looks like Reefs, the snailshell can give what a player can find in Sandstone Outcrop.
    If the player build an ecosystem what looks like Jellyshroom Cave, the snailshell can give what a player can find in Shale Outcrop.
    If the player build an ecosystem what looks like Lost River or Lava zone, the snailshell can give what a player can find in those regions.

And how can build something like it?
    Using the Flora from those ecosystems, to mimic them.
    And need a new light system, what the player can control and has effect only in the Alien Containment unit.
    Ofcourse we need also different pressure controll and temprature controll also.
    Maybe a different controll panel to every Alien Containment unit where the player can change the environment in the Alien Containment units.
    - light (need a new gadget what can measure the light - new item, or just the scanner can do it, new scan mode: scan environment)
    - pressure (can be setup by using the depth meter - can read the value from the UI)
    - temperature (can be using the vechicles/suit build in thermometer)
    And ofcourse need to plant some flora in there to replicate the environment for our experiment.

This way the player can do some experiments, or just using already known knowledge to how to breed those aliens. Or maybe some of the speices react different way on different environment, and evolve/mutate into a new one.
    And this is what I really missed from the original SN, the scientific aspect, the experimenting. But I get it, the hero in SN wasn't a scientist, and he
    has other pressing matters to do, like survive...but here in SNBZ, our hero is a dedicated scientist, so let her experiment a little.

Imagine:
    - Jellyray change color in different depth and environment. Its basic blue turn to yellow in shallower, brighter environment, or turn red in deeper, darker environment.
    - Boomerang can mutate into Magmarang
    - Eyeye can evolve into Redeyeye
    - Rabbitray in colder environment evolve into an Arctic Ray
    - Peeper in colder environment evolve into an Arctic Peeper
  • Samecco1987Samecco1987 UK Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221244Members
    I whant to see Square multipurpose rooms so we can have bigger rooms Like in the Bess you start
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    edited February 2019
    All good ideas, here are some I've recently thought up:

Animal category-
    Illumineel - A one-and-a-half meter long eel with glowing spots running along each side of the body. When the mouth is opened, the teeth will extend from it slightly in order to capture prey a little farther ahead of them.
    When a Illumineel is frightened, it will swim for a curtain depth and stop producing the bioluminesent gasses behind the said little spots, which will cause it to become almost invisible in the darkness which it retreats to.
    Archery Fish - A long fish with a similar body shape to a spade fish, though it has two small eyes. The way it hunts is with an arrow like tongue(hence the name), it will wait on a rock formation, using its skin color to blend in almost perfectly, and wait, it'll wait for quite a while before it gives up and decides to try and hunt on another formation, but if food, such as arctic peepers, boomerangs, or eyeyes, move toward it, it'll fire it's impressively long tongue at the creature and bring it to its mouth.
    If you wander into an Archery Fishes hunting grounds, the fish will actually shoot its tongue at you, which will cause a large amount of damage if you don't get free. Plus there is an unfortunate chance to cause a bleeding affect, every ten seconds three heath points will be removed.
    Hammerlien - A short fish with a very hard and extremely dangerous tail, similar to a gasopods tail, just smaller. Not predatory, in fact, this alien uses the suns energy and converts it into its own in order to stay functional, will not survive in alien containment without roof glass. When this fish feels threatened, it will quickly swim in a circle, which causes its hammer tail to be turned into a lethal weapon if not careful. It is only when a Hammerlien is asleep that it will convert the suns raise into energy, like a plant. And when awake, it'll store the energy it obtained in a small sack around its neck, if this sack deflates completely, it will immediately fall asleep and sink to the sea floor.

Vehicle category-
    Ocean Crawler - A four legged mech around the size of a seamoth. One arm, two storage compartments on each side of the base, can be upgraded in order to have two arms, there are four arms, all have to be made, a hand arm, similar to the PRAWN's, a drill arm, the drill it extended and larger, a scanner arm, and a gas arm, takes chemicals from the water and turns them into poisons to ward of attackers. Can camouflage itself for 20 seconds, no creature can find it during this period.
    Submicopter - When in the air, the Submicopter becomes a helicopter and is able to fly at a curtain height. When dived into the water, animations show the propellers move from the roof of the vehicle to the back, making it usable inside and out of the water. If you land the vehicle, two sets of landing gear will extend from each side of the vehicle, allowing it to be created on land as well as over water. When/If you stop moving in open water, animations show air being blasted from the front and back of the vehicle to keep it up right, and stop it from sinking.

Tools/Weapons category-
    Taser - Shocks any creature it comes in contacted with, will continue to electrocute alien for one second after the device is pulled away.
    Net - Traps any creature as big as or smaller than a stalker, can hold up to 10 aliens, large fish take up four slots. Is usable in the PRAWN's torpedo arm to capture fish.
    Grabber - Grabs any small creature within two meters of the player, can be upgraded to two-and-a-half.

Habitat category-
    A Search Bar within the scanner room in order to find what you need, not just what it gives you options for.

Change or add to any details I've posted within one of the descriptions.
    Please to not use bad language.(Sorry for the late requirement, :p)
    Fauna:

Acid Nubis or Nubis
    Leech or piranha sized (2 to 4 inches; 5 to 10 cm) parasitic fish or worm that lives in large groups. when we get too close to their nest, they cover us from head to toe and we have to swim away from their territory to get them off. As we swim away, there is an animation of the player shaking his head and chasing them off as if they're bees. their bite/saliva contains acidic enzymes and the consequences of the attack would be a reduction in health as well as damage to the suit where the suit efficacy is reduced or has to be repaired with the fabricator and resources. the attack could be bad enough to result in having to build a brand new scuba suit. seeing them get attached to the mask and start to melt the glass is terrifying. the screams as we get bitten all over will add to the tragic effects of the attack. post-attack aftereffect should be a panicked "what the f*** have I just been through." Scanning this species proves almost impossible, at least not without serious consequences.

Kelper
    A rare species of aggressive fish which lives in the kelp forests and has adapted for life there via camouflage. It likes to live in close proximity of the kelp/creep vine seed clusters or bottom of the creep vines where it hides its offspring. It is able to attach to the creep vine stalk and it looks like one of the leaves. Harvesting creep vines or seed clusters uncovers the fish which then bolts to attack the player.

you never know what lingers in the depths and crevices of this alien ocean :smile:
    Fauna

Poison Fish
    Introduce a couple of fish species whose bite leads to poisoning and an antidote is required to fully heal or if no antidote we need to use the med-packs for several days to keep our health up while the venom clears our body.

Natural Hazard

Underwater current
    Certain areas which complicate exploration because the current grabs us and carries us away to undesired (or desired) areas or into depth and if unable to escape the undertow we could end up drowning. This might be difficult to execute or the dev team could simply put in an invisible creature to pretend to be the current. I just feel that more could be done to improve the experience of the texture of water while diving.
  • Phantom106Phantom106 Ohio Join Date: 2019-02-03 Member: 250339Members
    Building:

Below Zero: in creative you can build snowmen so my idea is that you should be able to make your own snowman depending on what materials you have like one out of creep vine or one out of ribbon plants
    edited February 2019
    "Below Zero: in creative you can build snowmen so my idea is that you should be able to make your own snowman depending on what materials you have like one out of creep vine or one out of ribbon plants"

Um, maaybe, but i'm not a fan of that one.
  • maximus4546bmaximus4546b north Carolina Join Date: 2019-02-02 Member: 250165Members
    i feel like the dev team should add like a habitat upgrade consul so you can customize the multipurpose room like you can with the vehicle upgrade console in the moon pool so you can change the color of your base that would be neat
  • ribellu2bribellu2b Join Date: 2017-10-09 Member: 233479Members
    1. Have the possibility to repair existing seabases.
    2. Add an element such as the L-shaped compartment to allow you to move up or down without using the vertical connector
    3. a map ?
    "i feel like the dev team should add like a habitat upgrade consul so you can customize the multipurpose room like you can with the vehicle upgrade console in the moon pool so you can change the color of your base that would be neat"

I agree, though this was suggested for Subnautica, Subnautica: Below Zero will fit this as well.

"1. Have the possibility to repair existing seabases."
    That would be an unnecessary capability, dew to there not actually being anyone to occupy them.

"2. Add an element such as the L-shaped compartment to allow you to move up or down without using the vertical connector"
    Agreed, though you'd still need the ladder, i think that this would be a nice addition.

"3. a map ?"
    People have asked for a map, but that would take time, not sure how much, but i don't know about this, i agree, but still don't know...
  • ribellu2bribellu2b Join Date: 2017-10-09 Member: 233479Members
    edited February 2019
    You are right about the seabases because it is true that people prefer to build their own seabase.
    But, in this case, why not make them useful? They are not broken but they work perfectly and, for example, with a character inside who would give us a quest or a clue ?
    edited February 2019
    Something that enables you to make your own beacons/checkpoints. Then they could be removed manually by the player once reached or expire after a length of time. And if you are going to add a map they can place them on the map too
    Add small leviathan looking things just to trick the player into thinking that that’s what the leviathans are in the game. But out of nowhere something much bigger attacks from inside the dark...
  • DarthCologneDarthCologne Join Date: 2018-05-06 Member: 240579Members
    A large octopus-like thing that is completely silent and sneaks up on you then attacks. I feel like this should go in the trench under the Twisty Bridges.
    "A large octopus-like thing that is completely silent and sneaks up on you then attacks. I feel like this should go in the trench under the Twisty Bridges."

Small groups of ten/fifteen, they should latch onto your seamoth and PRAWN and drain the power, I've had enough loosing my seamoth because of fauna, little suckers that steal your seamoth's power for energy, they die after two hits, they swim away if you're to loud and follow you consistently until you leave their territory.

They have transparent skin on there heads, which reveals the roof of their brain, yellow lines run down the middle and to the sides of ones brain, and shine a bright yellow in dark biomes, very small, smaller than a peeper, but have a painful bite.

Name: Small Sucker
    Now a big sucker, similar to the smaller one, but this one travels alone, will attack your cyclops and base to gain energy, and is relatively slow.
  • YeahJustHiYeahJustHi Canada, British Columbia Join Date: 2019-02-07 Member: 250561Members
    edited February 2019
    I think a good addition to Subnautica Below Zero would be a new biome that upon entry will confuse the player (a much weaker version of the mesmer effect from the original game) and maybe confusing terrain.
  • YeahJustHiYeahJustHi Canada, British Columbia Join Date: 2019-02-07 Member: 250561Members
    A good addition to the game I think would be a new weapon/tool that pushes small-medium sized creatures away from the player, for example, a bone shark getting pushed away and a artic peeper getting pushed away but doing the same thing to a Shadow Leviathan would have no effect.