Gender choice for BZ?

WolfarusWolfarus Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228290Members
edited January 2019 in Ideas and Suggestions
I know that i'm prob. in the minority of players for this, and as such i heavily doubt this will be implemented, but..

As i understand the new game/dlc (not sure which BZ is being counted as) we're once again in control of a pre-made character, with no choice in gender, looks, ect. While i considered this somewhat annoying for the modern age of gaming, the orig. char was male, and thus it was something i could work with/overlook. Now this new one forces you to be a female, correct? That's something i dont like, and will most likely prevent me from getting the new one.

As a male gamer, i want to play male characters. Again, i assume this old-fashioned way of thinking isnt shared by the majority these days, but i wanted to get the view out there for the dev's to see. If they could make it so we could play female OR male, great. That will get me on board to buy it. If it's too late in the development cycle to do that (or if it'll be too costly to implement the VA and model/programming work at this point) then i'll have to pass on this one. But either way i hope it's received as well as subnautica was, and you guys continue to make community-loved games well into the future :)

Comments

• AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    why does everyone care about gender?!
  • dreamsunderstarsdreamsunderstars Texas Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249898Members
    I kinda agree with you... but you're just getting a taste of what it's like to be a woman and having only dude characters as a choice. But I'm curious, if you played Tomb Raider (any iteration of it), how did you deal with having to play Lara Croft? Did you just not play it? I can kind of understand the qualm though, because I *really* wanted to love the Witcher series, but could only play Geralt... and so could never get into it.

I'm all for options, let the players be a guy if they want, as long as they go back to Subnautica and add a female option too. :)
  • WolfarusWolfarus Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228290Members
    I kinda agree with you... but you're just getting a taste of what it's like to be a woman and having only dude characters as a choice. But I'm curious, if you played Tomb Raider (any iteration of it), how did you deal with having to play Lara Croft? Did you just not play it? I can kind of understand the qualm though, because I *really* wanted to love the Witcher series, but could only play Geralt... and so could never get into it.

I'm all for options, let the players be a guy if they want, as long as they go back to Subnautica and add a female option too. :)

Nope, never played any TR game. At the time of the first cple releases in the series, just wasnt interested in it overall. My stance on playing male characters came later. And just to be clear, i have nothing against female characters as they stand, what/who they represent, or any other possible aspect or angle of their existence. As a guy, i just prefer playing male characters.

Would have been great if the 1st SubNaut game came with the basic choices of gender and skin tone (because i'm sure there are women out there who just want to play female characters as well). In the modern age of gaming, these basic customization options shouldnt be lacking in -any- game released if the PC's are human. So that's really the only bad mark against the 1st game, imo. Hopefully there's still time in the dev cycle of BZ to give players the choice, assuming it's not going to be too costly for the studio.

If not, please make these choices a part of the next SN or SN-like game you make, UW. It would be greatly appreciated.
  • dreamsunderstarsdreamsunderstars Texas Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249898Members
    at least you're being reasonable, the butthurt over on Steam about this is hilarious to say the least.