Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica: Below Zero Early Access - Subnautica

Subnautica: Below Zero is now available in Early Access! Set one year after the original Subnautica, Below Zero challenges you to survive a disaster at an alien research station on Planet 4546B....

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • BehonderBehonder Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249793Members
    I've just bought the game, but I won't play it until it's finished. Is there any release date for the V1.0 version of Below Zero?
  • jcdick1jcdick1 Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249773Members
    Where to find and put logs to report when Below Zero won't start? Put them under the Subnautica Bugs forum?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    4 words
    Degree
    Knife
    Boi
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Skope wrote: »
    4 words
    Degree
    Knife
    Boi

GLOWING 1000 degree ice worm vs. protagonist
  • SmanDaManSmanDaMan Join Date: 2019-01-25 Member: 249346Members
    Very unrelated, but how do I make a topic?
  • NorthernBruceNorthernBruce Canada Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231544Members
    Lov'n the game so far! Looking forward to subsequent updates.
  • DannyHopefulDannyHopeful Fort Collins, CO Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249830Members
    I think that it could do without your sister. It takes away from the whole experience, considering that the whole goal in Subnautica is to survive ALONE. I think it would be great if... What say, when the base gets destroyed, so does Transmission and you can't talk to your sister anymore. As I said before, the whole theme about having communication with someone is pretty bad. It makes me feel like: "Okay, I'm in trouble, someone's gonna save me because my sister's gonna send a bunch of materials. YAY!" Whereas, in Subnautica, it was: "I'm in danger, I need to survive on my own on an alien world without any help from the people around me because nobody IS around me. It's survival of the fittest!" I think that at some point you should be deemed unable to communicate with your sister because it kinda ruins the whole feel about being alone. Otherwise, the game is great!
  • DannyHopefulDannyHopeful Fort Collins, CO Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249830Members
    Maybe, in the game difficulty options, there could be an "Isolation mode," Which is where after the base gets destroyed there is absolutely no communication for the rest of the game but your sister still sends down a drop pod. I think that would be a great game option for the players who like being isolated, and like feeling unsafe. I am one of those people and it would greatly increase the overall experience if there wasn't anyone to talk to. I think a game difficulty called "Isolation" Would be great, because if you wanted to have someone to talk to, you could! If you wanted to be isolated and alone, you could do that! It would work for everyone. It wouldn't even take much effort, maybe just a couple more voice lines a bunch removed voice lines. The voice line added could be: "I'm breaking up with you!" Or "I can't hear you! Robin? Rob-" And then it cuts and you don't hear from Sam for the rest of the game. That would be nice for the people who liked the part of Subnautica where you were isolated and you felt as if no one had your back.
    Sorry for the long replies
  • thanatos73thanatos73 US Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216180Members
    I have spent a total of 5 minutes in the game( had to wait till midnight to buy it) a d I almost didn't get any sleep with how beautiful it looks. Keep up the good work, guys.
  • swartlodewykswartlodewyk Join Date: 2018-09-20 Member: 243656Members
    Are there patch notes during updates if so where
  • CaptNemoCaptNemo Nautilus Join Date: 2018-10-03 Member: 243934Members
    I will buy it when it's finished until then I will keep a watch on your progress
  • coffeelementalcoffeelemental Beyond the Wall Join Date: 2019-01-22 Member: 249199Members
    edited January 2019
    Is this a feedback thread? I know the stickied one is for vanilla. Anyhoo. I've spent about 6.5 hours in the game so far and here are my thoughts:

The Good:
    The environments and atmosphere are great as always. I love the new flora and fauna and everything feels so alive. You guys managed to recreate the awe of the first game wonderfully. The ice adds so much anxiety, too. You’re running low on oxygen, you flee for the surface, and bam! You hit a chunk of ice instead. Now you have to plan your dives even more carefully.

I love that you forced me out of my comfort zone by denying me a seamoth early on. Exploring the twisty bridges caves with only a seaglide was an experience. I hope there's more stuff like this that forces old players to learn new tricks.

The voice acting really is quite excellent so far and it’s sort of nice to have occasional background chatter to break things up, like when you got radio messages in the original. I really love Robin’s VA…she makes Robin playful and curious without being annoying. The character seems to come natural to her. Major props.

The Neutral:
    It looks like a significant portion of the game will take place on land this time. If I had to guess, maybe a third of it does? On the one hand…it’s a bit weird for a game called Subnautica; on the other hand, FREAKING HOVER BIKE. So I'm cool with it. :P

It looks like a lot of existing tools/vehicles are not going to be there this time. In a way this is good because it forces us to find new solutions, and in a way it’s bad because it feels like certain staples are missing, so I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. Can't I still build a seamoth/cyclops for shiggles? I’ll still use the seatruck. Never underestimate how much stuff your players will build!

The Bad:
    Story-based restriction on certain items, such as the habitat builder. I am MEGA wary of this. Anyone who’s played through Metroid: Other M will know how frustrating and un-fun it is to have your abilities restricted until some authority figure allows you to use them. It makes realistic sense, but it’s just not fun in gameplay. Just like in Metroid, you earn your upgrades in Subnautica by simply seeking them out, and then use those new upgrades to get even more upgrades. You could have a castle on top of the mountain island and every vehicle in the game built before you even set foot in the inactive lava zone. Not having that kind of freedom when we had it before is jarring and wrong and it’s going to turn a lot of players off. If any devs are reading this, I implore you, please reconsider this decision. Just have Sam say that Alterra won’t authorize her to drop anything else but that Robin could probably salvage things from the abandoned temporary bases left by the scout teams. Or go with the suggestions above of Sam cutting out. Maybe Robin's communications relay gets damaged in the electrical storm. Or something! You can still gate the story by making certain NPCs unavailable or hard to find, and gate upgrades by making certain materials difficult to acquire. (To use my twisty bridges example above...maybe it's near-impossible to build a seamoth early on because the fragments for it are at the limits of your breath meter. You can get them if you know where to look for them and feel like risking it, but it's probably not something you'd know on your first playthrough. Later on you can find more easily-accessible fragments). Look how much work you have to put in just to find the sea empress in the first game.

On the note of the story…Alterra’s antagonism is pretty on the nose and could stand to be scaled back a bit. I want to punch Maxim but not for the right reasons. We already know Alterra’s corrupt, and the Precursor bounty posters in zero base are all the reminder we need. It’s much more sinister if we don’t know exactly why Sam’s holding back, at least for a while – or if we don’t even get to talk to an executive at all. If Sam has to be there, everything we know should be filtered through her. The player begins to feel doubt: is Sam lying to us? Did our sister betray us for her own gain? Is she just pretending that she was given orders when she really hasn’t? Fear comes from what we don’t see, don’t know, and don’t hear – it’s what this game series is all about. I adore the writing but I feel like there's missed potential here.

Titanium kind of sucks to get now that there’s no scrap metal. There’s plenty of it, but gathering it one-by-one when you need so much of it is kind of a drag. If we go with the salvage-old-bases thing, we could get away with having scrap metal again…

Oh, and I can’t pet the penglings. Literally unplayable.
  • Smartik1Smartik1 Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249803Members
    edited January 2019
    Is this a feedback thread? I know the stickied one is for vanilla. Anyhoo. I've spent about 6.5 hours in the game so far and here are my thoughts:

The Good:
    The environments and atmosphere are great as always. I love the new flora and fauna and everything feels so alive. You guys managed to recreate the awe of the first game wonderfully. The ice adds so much anxiety, too. You’re running low on oxygen, you flee for the surface, and bam! You hit a chunk of ice instead. Now you have to plan your dives even more carefully.

I love that you forced me out of my comfort zone by denying me a seamoth early on. Exploring the twisty bridges caves with only a seaglide was an experience. I hope there's more stuff like this that forces old players to learn new tricks.

The voice acting really is quite excellent so far and it’s sort of nice to have occasional background chatter to break things up, like when you got radio messages in the original. I really love Robin’s VA…she makes Robin playful and curious without being annoying. The character seems to come natural to her. Major props.

The Neutral:
    It looks like a significant portion of the game will take place on land this time. If I had to guess, maybe a third of it does? On the one hand…it’s a bit weird for a game called Subnautica; on the other hand, FREAKING HOVER BIKE. So I'm cool with it. :P

It looks like a lot of existing tools/vehicles are not going to be there this time. In a way this is good because it forces us to find new solutions, and in a way it’s bad because it feels like certain staples are missing, so I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. Can't I still build a seamoth/cyclops for shiggles? I’ll still use the seatruck. Never underestimate how much stuff your players will build!

The Bad:
    Story-based restriction on certain items, such as the habitat builder. I am MEGA wary of this. Anyone who’s played through Metroid: Other M will know how frustrating and un-fun it is to have your abilities restricted until some authority figure allows you to use them. It makes realistic sense, but it’s just not fun in gameplay. Just like in Metroid, you earn your upgrades in Subnautica by simply seeking them out, and then use those new upgrades to get even more upgrades. You could have a castle on top of the mountain island and every vehicle in the game built before you even set foot in the inactive lava zone. Not having that kind of freedom when we had it before is jarring and wrong and it’s going to turn a lot of players off. If any devs are reading this, I implore you, please reconsider this decision. Just have Sam say that Alterra won’t authorize her to drop anything else but that Robin could probably salvage things from the abandoned temporary bases left by the scout teams. Or go with the suggestions above of Sam cutting out. Maybe Robin's communications relay gets damaged in the electrical storm. Or something! You can still gate the story by making certain NPCs unavailable or hard to find, and gate upgrades by making certain materials difficult to acquire. (To use my twisty bridges example above...maybe it's near-impossible to build a seamoth early on because the fragments for it are at the limits of your breath meter. You can get them if you know where to look for them and feel like risking it, but it's probably not something you'd know on your first playthrough. Later on you can find more easily-accessible fragments). Look how much work you have to put in just to find the sea empress in the first game.

On the note of the story…Alterra’s antagonism is pretty on the nose and could stand to be scaled back a bit. I want to punch Maxim but not for the right reasons. We already know Alterra’s corrupt, and the Precursor bounty posters in zero base are all the reminder we need. It’s much more sinister if we don’t know exactly why Sam’s holding back, at least for a while – or if we don’t even get to talk to an executive at all. If Sam has to be there, everything we know should be filtered through her. The player begins to feel doubt: is Sam lying to us? Did our sister betray us for her own gain? Is she just pretending that she was given orders when she really hasn’t? Fear comes from what we don’t see, don’t know, and don’t hear – it’s what this game series is all about. I adore the writing but I feel like there's missed potential here.

Titanium kind of sucks to get now that there’s no scrap metal. There’s plenty of it, but gathering it one-by-one when you need so much of it is kind of a drag. If we go with the salvage-old-bases thing, we could get away with having scrap metal again…

Oh, and I can’t pet the penglings. Literally unplayable.

I was also a bit bothered by the fact that you get tools and such handed to you in phases. On one hand, this is the first time ever that I found use for the air pipes when exploring the twisty bridges. On the other, I feel like a lot of blueprint content is going to be gated and turn fun exploration into a grind to get to the next unlock.

In terms of titanium, there is another way to get it. When you finish unlocking a blueprint, every next scan gives you several titanium. I swear I saw like 50 gravity traps in the vicinity of my first base. That's an ok starting amount of titanium for your first base.

Lack of Lead was my problem as I can't build any proper supports for my base, though I can sort of live without supports for now. Lack of Magnetite makes the scanner room useless as you can't see resources outside your base without the HUD chip. I do wish they'll give us a heat knife soon to reduce the amount of game time spent trying to keep the food/water meters up.
  • CaptNemoCaptNemo Nautilus Join Date: 2018-10-03 Member: 243934Members
    I hope the Bounty Hunters come out of the shadows and present an actual threat
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    edited January 2019
    I'll keep this spoiler free as possible....

The environment looks very good. Much more alive than the original game.

I haven't gotten very far. I don't know how "far" there is to get given it is early access and just started. I have not found or taken this twisty bridge. I know about it, however.

The story so far is keeping me curious.

Edit: And now I have found the bridge thing and know how far there is to get. Yea the distribution of blueprints seems odd but probably simply due to not being used to that from the previous game. I am glad it isn't just a copy of the previous game story except in ice.
  • BiippeyBiippey Antioch Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249946Members
    i have an idea for the lore behind the "titan holefish" in subnautica below zero.
    since the titan holefish provides oxygen, and water is made of H2O, i was thinking that as water flows through its hole, it breaks up the water into hydrogen, which the fish uses to propel itself through the water. And the oxygen gets caught and stored in its inner ring, making the inner ring of the titan holefish a little habitat for where micro ecosystems can live and for other fish to feed off of. let me know what you guys think and please help me get this message seen by the developers.
  • phantom3165phantom3165 Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238476Members
    Hello My name is Todd and I am participating in your early access for below zero because I really liked the 1st game and I thought this would be a continuation of the existing plot. I experienced the steam issues the 1st day but have since been able to run the game fine. I do have one really big concern after playing for an couple of hours, I liked the premise of the 1st game, most of your story decisions made sense {{your stranded on a remote planet your schematics and buildable objects have to be rediscovered by searching wrecks and the bottom of the ocean with a scanner}} I could swallow this set of plot points however if this is the same premise as the 1st game then I want my money back as it makes no sense to me to simply regurgitate the same plot devices as the 1st game in a different environment. Here are my reasons why:
    1. If you've already established a base then that database of buildable objects should be already available i.e. your premise of Sam falling into a pool of freezing water that leads to the ocean yet again is not believable in the least that now she has to find all of the basic objects yet again. Her sister whose in orbit sent her a small rescue craft with what??? no database of objects installed on the rescue craft fabricator so now I have to find everything again??? Sounds like your just milking a used story now.
    2. I do concede that in the beginning of the game the reason that you fall in the water is the comm tower crashes thru the ice because of an earthquake but that reason doesn't justify no database on the rescue pod sent to Sam from her sister since there is obviously communication i.e. data transfer available in this new scenario. Please find some other way to research new tech without the need to do all the hunt and fetch for the basics we've already done in the 1st game. Do you want us to keep playing your new games based on this reality or are you only appealing to new players?
    3 now that Ive laid out my grievances let me offer my suggestion which is this, make me search for all the alien precursor tech to achieve something only that tech can fix or do but at this time I have no desire to find all the parts of a sea moth yet again and or base building etc etc etc. Too derivative of the 1st game and not so fun anymore.
    Thanks for listening and please don't think that I don't appreciate all the hard work you are doing to create something new and exciting. Just don't take the easy way find another way for us to want to be in your world.
  • Terminator_BGTerminator_BG Bulgaria Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249953Members
    Seems to be good continue for the main story :D
  • RedwyrmRedwyrm Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249957Members
    I lost track on what to do.
    I'v launched rocket with biosample, heard reply about something is odd. Heard conversation with Al-an, about he saying that i need build new vessel for him. And now nothing else.
    I'v collected all nearby technology, and there is nothing that would allow me explore deeper into the sea.
  • RedwyrmRedwyrm Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249957Members
    Found juvenile Sea Emperor, and fond Jefrey's base. However nothing at that base i scannable. Most importantly moon pool is not scannable.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Redwyrm wrote: »
    I lost track on what to do.
    I'v launched rocket with biosample, heard reply about something is odd. Heard conversation with Al-an, about he saying that i need build new vessel for him. And now nothing else.
    I'v collected all nearby technology, and there is nothing that would allow me explore deeper into the sea.

What part of "this game is not finished" seems to be giving you trouble? Wait for updates.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Smartik1 wrote: »
    I was also a bit bothered by the fact that you get tools and such handed to you in phases. On one hand, this is the first time ever that I found use for the air pipes when exploring the twisty bridges. On the other, I feel like a lot of blueprint content is going to be gated and turn fun exploration into a grind to get to the next unlock.

In terms of titanium, there is another way to get it. When you finish unlocking a blueprint, every next scan gives you several titanium. I swear I saw like 50 gravity traps in the vicinity of my first base. That's an ok starting amount of titanium for your first base.

Lack of Lead was my problem as I can't build any proper supports for my base, though I can sort of live without supports for now. Lack of Magnetite makes the scanner room useless as you can't see resources outside your base without the HUD chip. I do wish they'll give us a heat knife soon to reduce the amount of game time spent trying to keep the food/water meters up.

Lead and magnetite are both available, but that's all I'm going to say about that...
  • AlexAuraganAlexAuragan Join Date: 2019-02-01 Member: 250007Members
    I downloaded Below Zero and I cannot launch it. Where could I report it and does anyone have the same issue ?
  • CrciunCrciun Romania Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249885Members
    Hey! I just got the habitat builder and I need to buy an Alien vessel but the voice log told me that this is the end of the early access1, can I still continue and play the game normally or need to stop till they update?
  • DoallynDoallyn Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249917Members
    Enjoying the bits which work so far, got to say there is ALOT to add at this stage and looking forward to having the map fill out during the beta stage. The environment is nice, though its different early on not just being able to build from the start. Bit tricky to figure out the biomes and I really miss the Aurora as a point of reference. Hopefully some additional landmakrs will be added rather than just relying on beacons all the time.

The on land stuff is nice but it still feels awkward compared to the sea.

I still dont get the logic in not enabling blueprints from the start as clearly there is plenty known already from the main base so this should all be possible and have blueprints sent down and start off with a full set of building options to make it different from the first game. Then add new things to that as you go to take you into the new elements of this story. From a replay point of view that first set of tasks is going to be boring each time rather than just jumping in and doing your own thing like the first game
  • CarlooCarloo Italy Join Date: 2019-01-21 Member: 249135Members
    When is avable for Xbox one plis tell me I wanna bought
  • happysyckohappysycko Join Date: 2017-01-21 Member: 227053Members
    edited February 2019
    Okay people.....for the love of god stop making it sound like this game hasn't delivered on a promise that it hasn't even made.

The game isn't finished, yes the blueprints not being there from the previous game is surprising but you could always just ask when they were going to be added instead of acting like you work for unknown worlds as a game programmer and designer and literally KNOW that there is no reason for this to not be included.

The game has a great premise. I love the scientist looking for new and exciting knowledge outside of the current understanding trope and have enjoyed what I have experienced so far. I have played everything at my disposal right now and just want to give you guys a shout out for not having near as much optimization issues with this release. It runs much smoother than the original early access. Kudos.

If you are like me and there are no more objectives popping up for you to work towards then try to understand that it will most likely be included in an upcoming update. Whether it is in the next one or not, have patience.

We are showing them the blemishes that they did not find themselves so that they can polish it, something most game developers have been lacking in recent years.

If you bought this game with the words "Early Access" on it and expect a full game then that is nobody else's fault but your own. Don't take your misguided frustration out on the game developers who actually care what their players think of the game, they are few and far between and should be protected at all costs.

sincerely

A Subnautica Fanboy (A.K.A. happysycko)