Weapon Skins

bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited January 2015 in Modding
hi guys,

I'm gonna be making some custom skins for weapons in my spare time. To kick off, I've decided to have a go at making some special edition black armor ones. I know Kouji made a set a while back, but I wanted to do my own take on them.

Thought I would try get some feedback here before making it a mod on the workshop. I would especially like your feedback on the changes I made to the lights, ammo ui (is it too blingy?) and also the black levels.

Pistol:
rVWgLzm.jpg

Rifle
gejXBJf.jpg

Axe
XN2IKVX.jpg

Different world lighting:
jkiHrFa.jpg

Will be looking to make some of my own custom designs after I've finished these off. I'd be interested to know if you guys have any particular designs you like or you think would look good for guns in this game.

Cheers

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    My own custom designs...
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    bonage black is perfect! would be a great addition to black armor ;p. Yellow color looks to much as gold on the logos etc. I would suggest to make it white. Ammo ui looks a little bleached. Could be more glowy, more contrast.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    pff. if its not purple its not awesome. :P

More on topic.. Nice skin edits.. I know from my own experience that it can take quite long to make.
    Note that if you save the dds in compression, you can not have to many colour differences close together, or it will fail. But if you do not compress, yeh.. big big.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    pff. if its not purple its not awesome. :P

More on topic.. Nice skin edits.. I know from my own experience that it can take quite long to make.
    Note that if you save the dds in compression, you can not have to many colour differences close together, or it will fail. But if you do not compress, yeh.. big big.

Yeah I'm saving them with dxt3 ARGB compression - its ending up being around 5mb for pistol_view.dds - which is up slightly from the base one (3mb). The colours and textures came out pretty well though with little to no noticeable noise. Might be able to fiddle round with the compression settings a bit more to get it down, but atm im just gonna focus on the skins themselves.
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    bonage black is perfect! would be a great addition to black armor ;p. Yellow color looks to much as gold on the logos etc. I would suggest to make it white. Ammo ui looks a little bleached. Could be more glowy, more contrast.

might do some mockups with other colours for the ammo UI and see what works
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    Would it be easier to use the .psd then recompile into the .dds texture files? As for other designs, I came across some old ns2 concept art and decided to make something similar to one that caught my eye. Would love to see what texture work you could do with it! ;)

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Anti_Boson wrote: »
    Would it be easier to use the .psd then recompile into the .dds texture files? As for other designs, I came across some old ns2 concept art and decided to make something similar to one that caught my eye. Would love to see what texture work you could do with it! ;)

This is the correct workflow. By saving out the DDS files yourself, you may open yourself up to problems later on. I remember one time seeing weird mip mapping issues on a texture because the maker had saved it themselves, rather than letting builder do the work for them.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Anti_Boson wrote: »

This is the correct workflow. By saving out the DDS files yourself, you may open yourself up to problems later on. I remember one time seeing weird mip mapping issues on a texture because the maker had saved it themselves, rather than letting builder do the work for them.

Not sure that I follow. My current workflow is using psd template to work on textures, then compiling into DDS using nvidia export tool, and generating mip maps with it that way. Is that what you meant by using the builder?

@Anti_Boson‌ happy to have a go at some stuff - add me on steam.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I save my own dds files as builder had its own issues in the past. :)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd call those Alterra Corp. skins. Yellow-black fits into Eclipse. Well done
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    If you use the correct format, there are no problems. The builder builds to DXT5 Interpolated Alpha.
    annnd time to necro.

Seems i only post 1 skin a year, so here is a new skin:

Desert Camo.

Rifle:
    k1hlsla.jpg

Pistol:
    LOgxcxc.jpg
    • P3F9jrJ.jpg

Will probably be changing the colour of the ammo display soon - probs back to blue or a lighter/icier blue and keeping the yellow for my black one in OP.

Also taking requests for new skins.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    These are way cool @bonage. Well done m88888
  • philoglphilogl Join Date: 2012-10-24 Member: 163529Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver
    They are OK I guess
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    great skins would certainly use the black one
    continuing with the desert theme, the next one up is

Sand Skin

Rifle:
    G2v5BDz.jpg

Pistol:
    PW4P7GM.jpg
    next one up is currently a wip:

Toffee Apple

Pistol:
    tQg4S2I.jpg

• ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2016
    Hey @bonage you should talk to the devs about your black pack! I would definitely buy them as DLC! The sand colored one looks pretty nice too. I just want to keep my original colors because I change every skins according to the map I play on.

As for Skin request: We could use a Kodiak Gorge and Kodiak Shotgun. As well as the other Lifeforms like Lerk, Fade and Onos in Kodiak.
    They probably should be added to the Kodiak Pack or be a Kodiak 2/Addon Pack. Would buy that, too :smiley:

Edit: Is the black one from you available at the Workshop?
    @ChrisStark i think the devs are sorting out the texture size issue before adding more skins to the game because they are close to hitting the game's memory limit. Is that correct @rantology ?

Once that's fixed, I'd be happy to submit them and see if they are considered good enough.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2016
    Yeah thats right. But I think they should redo all textures with the paint.net compiler. There is a thread here that showed its quality is better and the files are smaller than the DDS Plugin from NVIDIA. Would give some Space for new Skins I think.

@bonage How about the Kodiak Skins? You think you could do them? Would be awesome. Of course only if the memory thingy is solved.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    bonage wrote: »
    @ChrisStark i think the devs are sorting out the texture size issue before adding more skins to the game because they are close to hitting the game's memory limit. Is that correct @rantology ?

This is correct
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Correct. Thank you @Foxy for searching. Was too lazy to search it.
    @ChrisStark i prefer to do my own style skins. I'm sure the devs will complete the kodiak ones.
    @bonage I hope so. Complete Packs would be even more awesome.
    Okay. I will give it a thought. Maybe I will come up with an idea for you :smiley:
    Hello again.

I've dug up the skins I did a couple of years back and updated them to work with the current build - here's a video of the special edition ones in action:

They probably need a little bit more polish so I'll probs do that soon. I'll look at also creating some new ones - happy to look at any ideas if people have them.

@IronHorse @rantology @WasabiOne I think it would be great sometime in the future if we could get a community skin submission system setup akin to that in CS:GO where skins that are considered worthy can get picked for future dlc or some kind of ingame marketplace. Personally I'm not really interested in any kind of profit off of a system like that but more in creating content that would get used by others. Have you guys considered this kind of system at all?

New snow camo skin I'm currently working on:<br>
    fPLVYC0.jpg

a6Nybrl.jpg

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @bonage As others mentioned, for several of the models, we're actually nearing the allows limit of texture sizes (hence the need for a new system). I'm currently working on a new way to handle skins right now, so we're basically hitting the figurative pause-button on adding anymore for the time being. Simply put, I'm making changes that will allow for the elimination of the current usage of texture atlasing, and allow materials to be hot-swapped at run-time. Which makes adding new skins vastly easier. So, until I get all that wrapped up and stable, no more skins will be included. Hopefully, this new skin-handling method will be in b327.

As far as community skins / curated item-shop goes, we don't have the required Steamworks mechanisms wired up to Spark (hint: requires full UGC support and a few other things), so it's doubtful we'll go down this road in the near future.
    That's not to say we're ignoring the possibility however, but we'll need to revisit it at a later time.