Subnautica PS4 Update 1.06 Released - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica PS4 Update 1.06 Released - Subnautica

A new Subnautica update has been released on PlayStation 4! 1.06 makes the following changes: Improved world streaming performance Fixed a crash that occurred during gameplay Fixed an issue causing...

Read the full story here

Comments

• psytoxicjokerpsytoxicjoker Ohio Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 245902Members
    Did you guys fix the saving issues because this game means nothing to me if I cant save it frequently and reliably
  • MrFurious1000MrFurious1000 Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246499Members
    Did you guys fix the saving issues because this game means nothing to me if I cant save it frequently and reliably

well....fixed gameplay crashes......that usually corrupted the save so YA, they did address it
  • Sp3nCSp3nC Join Date: 2019-01-18 Member: 248933Members
    Was so happy to see an update for this game, thinking oh this must be finally to fix the save bug but Nope not being able to save is still not important enough to be fixed for them. Just tested it. you would think this is the one thing they would focus on first but nope. Waited all this time for nothing, cause who doesnt love paying for unplayable games... Getting REALLY Angry and annoyed by now...
  • sustainedsustained England Join Date: 2019-01-18 Member: 248934Members
    I haven't had any save issues on my 35 hour save and I save pretty regularly and basically haven't stopped playing at all. What are the save issues? Kinda new to the game.

Improved world streaming is always a good thing.

The actions now occurring on keydown should fix the annoying issue where you place a locker then immediately open it, even when you don't want to, right? A minor but appreciated fix.

I look forward to you guys hopefully getting all the issues fixed this year. Once that's done, I hope you'll release, if not actual expansions and such, then at the very least a QoL patch to remove some UI inconsistencies and improve the inventory management a bit etc.

Thanks for the amazing game.
  • MrAnonymousMrAnonymous In your brain. Thinking your thoughts. Join Date: 2019-01-18 Member: 248936Members
    Thank you for the update and continued support, Unknown Worlds.

I've had a little play around with the 1.06 patch installed (on the base PS4) and jerky frame rates and missing terrain issues do seem to be present still, but reduced somewhat. Hopefully these issues will be fixed completely soon! We're not quite there yet, though.
  • KamenRangerKamenRanger Join Date: 2019-01-18 Member: 248955Members
    Was hoping this would add in the map and coordinates function. Either way, I'm going to continue enjoying the game regardless. Thanks for the update :)
  • Canadian_KeystoneCanadian_Keystone Canada Join Date: 2019-01-13 Member: 248645Members
    edited January 2019
    SAVING ISSUE - For those that are having them (like me), simply save 3 times in a row. Don't move. You shouldn't have to do this, but if you want to play, the price is an extra 30-45 seconds once in awhile. Not defending, not making excuses. I think this is a super unprofessional and amatuer error. But, I also fell in love with the game. That's been my solution. 22 hours in, approx 14 saves over 3 days. No issues since I tried that. ... yet.

The rendering errors are still heinous. Requires a quick reboot. Reminds of gaming back in ol 95, when everything was bugged.
  • sinner_revansinner_revan Join Date: 2018-12-13 Member: 245567Members
    I don't know If we need to start a new game to see the effects of the update.

But I'm still experiencing framerate drops in the safe shallow. And the little purple plant floating that has a million of itself overlapping just crashed my game after blasting it away
  • narrfabnarrfab Join Date: 2019-01-07 Member: 248273Members
    Hi, the update improved the game in general, but still are framerate drops in some parts (specially when you use seamoth) you can still see empty spaces in the screen (renderization problem) not as much as before, but there are still. About the red moon in the night sky, the moon is not there, need to fix it also.
  • terrysmalls1terrysmalls1 Norcross, Georgia Join Date: 2019-01-18 Member: 248970Members
    So i updated my game last night and when i woke up to play this morning and its not allowing me to load my save, giving me the red invalid call box. I didnt have anu issues saving before i logged off so is it possible the update could be responsible? This is the third time ive had to start my game over now due to corrupted saves.
  • terrysmalls1terrysmalls1 Norcross, Georgia Join Date: 2019-01-18 Member: 248970Members
    Update on my previous comment: deleted the game and tried to load my save before redownloading update 1.06, worked fine, then updated the game to 1.06 and the loading save issue occured again. Has to be the update that caused this issue
  • DrewpantsDrewpants United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-12-29 Member: 247498Members

well....fixed gameplay crashes......that usually corrupted the save so YA, they did address it

Not true, saves were getting corrupted without ceashes and according to this thread still are. I've yet to try the game since the update, but I'm hoping I don't need to start again like I did with the last update.
  • svenvangentsvenvangent Join Date: 2019-01-15 Member: 248776Members
    edited January 2019
    Sins the new update Two crashes , many pup ups stuttering and now under the water there are places where there is nothing empty .
    The problem is when this game gonna have a bit of stability ....och well what ever .
  • brofessionalTTVbrofessionalTTV Wisconsin Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 248985Members
    Will be playing tonight I sure hope the world not rendering in is fixed because dying to a warper that didnt exsist in the world is not fun.
  • DandyPrimeDandyPrime Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 248987Members
    edited January 2019
    Hello all. I'm "new" to the game, in the sense that I only started playing it a week ago. Got it on the PS4 digital store for $29.99 USD. It looked cool so I wanted to try it out. I know that the game was in early access for a long time, since 2014 or something like that. As of now, I'm near the end of the game and have put in just over 70 hours. I've been trying to complete the last few objectives for the past several hours right now. I wanted to comment in this forum not only to engage in the community, but to also explain and showcase my experience with the game so far. Here it goes:

As it stands, the game is quite fun from a survival, base-building, exploration gameplay perspective. The music is awesome. The voice acting is really good. The biome, flora, fauna, and world designs are all diverse and interesting to see and explore. In fact, the game is quite good in many aspects. The issue is that it suffers from SEVERE technical problems. I"m sure most of you are aware of this, especially those who have been playing since early access. Now, the game was updated today to fix some of these apparent issues. The problem is that it really didn't fix anything, at least, not that I've noticed. In fact, things have gotten worse.

Since I started playing the game a week ago, it has crashed on me 7 times, 4 of those 7 times being in the past hour I've been playing today alone. I've lost about 4.5 hours of progress because of these crashes. This is completely absurd. There is no reason a game should be allowed to be sold in such a poor state. It's pure lunacy. This is the most poorly optimized game I have ever played. I don't understand why the developers do not fix these problems. On top of this, the game hitches and lags almost constantly. Any time I enter or exit any building or vehicle, it lags and/or hitches for several seconds. Any time I open an inventory menu, it lags and/or hitches for several seconds. Sometimes when I open an inventory menu, the game freaks out and my character (idk if he has an official name or not) will raise his left hand as if to raise the PDA, but instead, the PDA is absent and just his hand is there. Other times it will be his hand morphed with the item I have in my other hand or from a random item in my quick select bar. There was also a time where I went to open the inventory menu for an exterior growbed of Gel Sack that I have right outside my main base and the game glitched out so badly that I ended up being unable to move and my character had contorted and twisted into a polygonal mess. I had to reload to fix this. The rendering/draw distance is absolutely horrible. I've collided with things that I cannot see until the last second because of how slow the game renders its chunks. There have been times where I got physically glitched into mountains and walls and had to reload because of it. Going anywhere near my main base, especially near my Moonpool area, is basically asking for the game to crash. The FPS drops to the low double digits when I'm over in or near that area, so it seems anyway. It may even get into the single digits, idk. Items that I drop still fall through the floor. I literally just dropped some Marblemelons on accident and they all fell through the floor, so this update clearly didn't fix that, despite saying that it did.

All in all, my experience with the game has been good, but there is a lot to be desired from a technical aspect, most of which should be a no-brainer for lead game developers. Even some basic QoL changes, if implemented, could make the experience just that much better, if ever slightly. As it stands, I want to finish the game because I'm so close to the end, but I may take a break and finish it before tomorrow ends because the amount of crashes and wasted time I've had to deal with today has rendered me too angry to care about playing the game right now.

Is the PS4 just bad at handling this game or is it the actual game? I've heard that since it uses the Unity Engine that it just sucks because the Unity Engine is just not a good engine, but I know of other games that use the Unity Engine that run better than Subnautica does. So idk. Anyway, I'd like to hear and read your opinions and experiences with the game and if there are any workarounds to making it a smoother experience, even if by just a small margin. Honestly, if the crashes would just stop, I could handle the rest of the tech problems and almost overlook them. The consistent crashing is just way too much of a problem to ignore and let slide.

EDIT: Started playing the game again. Played for about 20 minutes and it crashed yet again. That is the 8th time. All of these most recent crashes have taken place inside the PCF (Primary Containment Facility). I guess the game just cannot handle this area very well or something. I'd also like to add that my character tends to move forward on his own a lot even though I am not touching the joystick. This also affects my inventory and other menu navigations, as the controller thinks I'm moving the joystick up when I am not. Now, this could clearly just be an issue with my controller, but seeing as how it has only ever done this for Subnautica, I believe it's an issue with the game itself. I usually have to wait a few seconds or readjust the left control stick before being able to move properly again. Another glitch that happened was related to the Cuddlefish. I released it from my inventory in open water right next to my base and it immediately sped off into the distance and disappeared, so I didn't even get to interact with it. Lastly, as of right now at least, I also came upon another glitch where items that I have eaten or used in my inventory are considered eaten or used, but still remain in your inventory, take up their respective slots, but you are unable to select that item, resulting in a reload or reset.

EDIT 2: Still playing the game. It has crashed on me again, so that is the 9th time. The last 25% of this game has become a mess. It has been a complete chore, slog, and monotonous grind to complete all because of technical problems. It has crashed on me 6 times during this final segment, 5 of those crashes being within the PCF (Primary Containment Facility). I've lost over 5 hours of progress due to all 9 crashes. I have further complaints too. Why does the game insist of not resetting resources, but will reset entire zones or areas that you've already explored and opened doors in? For example, the Aurora, even though I have explored it, resets all of the fires, doors, and chambers so I have to reopen or clear the way all over again. That's stupid. Furthermore, once I got to the QEP (Quarantine Enforcement Platform) to shut down the laser, the force field to enter the building was still there, even though I had deactivated it days ago during the beginning of the game. So I go back to my base over 1,000 meters away to get a Purple Tablet. I come back to the QEP and the forcefield is down... why? Like, the game just tries to waste my time. I then make my way through the QEP to the laser deactivation panel and the forcefield to that chamber is active for some reason, so I use the Purple Tablet I brought with me to deactivate it. I make my way back outside and my Seamoth has glitched through the water and beach and is not obtainable, so I have to make my trek back to the rocket with my Seaglide. As soon as I get to the rocket platform, the game crashes (that was the 9th crash I mentioned above). So the game reloads me back when I reached the Mountain Island the first time to shut down the laser. I check on my Seamoth behind me and apparently it's stuck on the sand (even though it's in the water) and so it cannot move at all no matter what I do, and so it's now unusable. When I return from the QEP after shutting down the laser, the Seamoth has disappeared into the sand again, so it is not usable. Consistent glitches and bugs abound.

I finished the game. I got the platinum trophy. The game, from a gameplay standpoint, is quite fun. The game, from a technical standpoint, is a complete and utter mess of a thing. It shouldn't even be on the market with how badly optimized it is, at least on the PS4. I don't know if other people have experienced as many issues as I have, but I cannot recommend this game to anyone on the PS4. If you want this game, get it on a different system. Even then, you're still going to have issues with it, I'm sure. That's just the nature of the game. Subnautica is fun and has a lot going for it, but it is the most poorly optimized game I have ever played. There are PlayStation 2 games that work better than this amalgamation. As it stands, Subnautica, with all of its problems, gets a 6.5/10 from me. Without all of the tech problems, it'd probably be an 8.5 or a 9, but the technical issues ruined the last 25% of the game for me and as an overall experience, soured the game greatly. Let's hope that these things get addressed and that Subnautica: Below Zero uses something other than the trash that is the Unity Engine.
  • Sp3nCSp3nC Join Date: 2019-01-18 Member: 248933Members
    edited January 2019
    Update: i thought since i had nothing to loose anyway, i deleted my really old save, the first and only one that worked but it didnt show up ingame just in the ps4 Folder as "save0000" or something, and now for some reason the game saves now AND can load my save. Dont know why but i'll take it. Finally able to play yay
    hopefully that works for you guys who have the same problems as me!
  • Subnaut3000Subnaut3000 Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249005Members
    Hi, the grafic still pops up or is gone so that the game is unplayable. You really need to fix that. I love the game and it would be a shame not be able to play it to the end.
  • GrandestAlfGrandestAlf France Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249007Members
    Hi, just played about an hour of the new 1.06 update and I can confirm that so far the Frames are better, World holes less frequent, but on the other side I encountered 2 strange bugs, the first I interacted with the modification station from a little too far away and it didn't open the interface but kept me stuck still untill I pressed the "options" button on the controller, the second being graphical error wih the Thermo Blade when used then changing a weapon keeps the steam and bubbles animation going even when using another tool such as the seaglide etc.
    All in all keep up the great work on this amazing game!
  • CochonouCochonou France Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249024Members
    The graphical bug with the thermo blade was already present in version 1.05.
    Primary containment facility is unplayable .Crashes every two minutes within starting the game.
  • Regal_InsanityRegal_Insanity Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249043Members
    For me they fixed literally nothing.
    I just made a trip to the Primary Containment Facility, and it was not worse (or better) for me than previously. So it must be another of those "savegame" related issues...
  • svenvangentsvenvangent Join Date: 2019-01-15 Member: 248776Members
  • Dani8434Dani8434 Join Date: 2018-12-27 Member: 247322Members
    Only thing I’m seeing a problem with at this point is that the red planet/moon that you see at night.... I only see reflection of it from under water and when you looks above water the moons/ planets dissapear! Anyone else having this issue with the sky not showing up properly on PS4??
  • VladamierVladamier Join Date: 2018-12-29 Member: 247478Members
    I've noticed that the game does most of its crashes after the 2 hour mark, more so if my ps was in use prior to loading the game. If you're crashing and losing hours of progress, I suggest shutting off the ps4 at least 20-30 minutes prior to playing subnautica. And limiting continuous play to 3-4 hours, before turning the console off for a while to cool down. I started doing that and my number of crashes dropped drastically. Subnautica uses up too much processing power power and over works the console. Traveling back and forth loading and unloading areas of the map, taking short breaks during gameplay and letting your console rest is a recommended thing anyways, and helps improve gameplay. Hope you guys enjoy.
    It is quite surprising, because overworking the console should not result in crashes, unless the hardware starts throwing CPU computation errors / memory access errors when it overheats. Which should not happen. However, restarting the game periodically might help if the game has bugs causing slow but progressive memory corruption issues... until it crashes.
    In any case, thanks for the feedback.
  • benji32benji32 Luxemburg Join Date: 2018-12-04 Member: 245121Members
    Thnx still not available in luxemburg ...
  • underwater_builderunderwater_builder USA Join Date: 2019-01-24 Member: 249300Members
    Hey my Cyclopes won’t let anything dock

When either the seamoth or the prawn will dock it sometimes it will dock with out the door opening and will do the anamations then after that I’m stuck in the vehicle making me go out and quit my game with out saving

Is there anything I can do or can you fix this Please
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    I don't know If we need to start a new game to see the effects of the update.

But I'm still experiencing framerate drops in the safe shallow. And the little purple plant floating that has a million of itself overlapping just crashed my game after blasting it away

You don't need a new game for these benefits, but the overlapping plants in safe shallows should have been addressed in the 1.05 patch. Were these overlapping plants in safe shallows?
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    Update on my previous comment: deleted the game and tried to load my save before redownloading update 1.06, worked fine, then updated the game to 1.06 and the loading save issue occured again. Has to be the update that caused this issue

Can you check in Settings > Storage > Saved Games > Subnautica and see if there are any corrupted saved games in there?

I'll be reaching out in a direct message shortly.