New Arctic Expansion Addition: Precursor Contact (STORY SPOILERS)

VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
After browsing the Wiki, and the Trello for the Arctic Expansion, I found some sneaky information on the story. Apparently, one of the main parts of the story, there is going to be a member of the Precursor, who has been uploaded to one of the caches. The alien, nicknamed "Alan", will try to communicate to the player, encouraging them to "scan precursor tech" to learn about them, and to get a special blueprint. What are your thoughts?
wx7mdge6qstp.png

Comments

• JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    I read, re-read, and triple-checked read this and I'm not seeing what's confirming or even implying that we're meeting or talking to a Precursor here or that they're encouraging you to go around scanning tech - which is basically what we're here to do for Alterra anyway.

How do we know Alan isn't someone onboard the Vesper and just in contact with you over the comms?
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    But do we get to reverse-engineer any of the scanned Precursor tech? I wonder.
    edited October 2018
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    But do we get to reverse-engineer any of the scanned Precursor tech? I wonder.
    Saw a video of what may be player-built teleporters, so maybe~

• BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Thanks @Rezca, it was stoked to see all that new content.
    I'd have to agree that DIY phasegate looks pretty conclusively Precursor style, great!
    Otherwise, the weather mechanic looks fantastic. Also impressed by that base control-room: Individual compartment damage display makes me hope that a little bit of tower defence is in the pipeline. Anyway those devs have really got the chops.

I wonder what other Precursor tech might be likely? Forcefield control comes immediately to mind. Obviously for your bases, but maybe for accessing the alien display cases? I'm greedy for some of that gear we saw on display in the Primary Containment Facility!
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Thanks @Rezca, it was stoked to see all that new content.
    I'd have to agree that DIY phasegate looks pretty conclusively Precursor style, great!
    Otherwise, the weather mechanic looks fantastic. Also impressed by that base control-room: Individual compartment damage display makes me hope that a little bit of tower defence is in the pipeline. Anyway those devs have really got the chops.

I wonder what other Precursor tech might be likely? Forcefield control comes immediately to mind. Obviously for your bases, but maybe for accessing the alien display cases? I'm greedy for some of that gear we saw on display in the Primary Containment Facility!

It'd be awesome if, someday in the future, some of these things get 'ported over' to the base game. If the Crater worldspace is larger than the Arctic one, you'd think that it'd be most in need of a feature like this haha (Conversely, as cool as weather'd be I feel it'd be less needed since we're spending most of our time underwater in the base game)