No Bath or Shower? What`s wrong with this idea?

cyberfish2944cyberfish2944 iowa Join Date: 2017-07-02 Member: 231531Members
The question I ask is a serious one. We need cleaning facilities .The Human body wont stay healthy if it is in saltwater all the time. All that salt will have an adverse effect on our skin weaking us. If you reply that the diving suits protect the body from the saltwater then you have a human body that is never getting clean and is living in it`s own dirt ,sweat,dead skin,etc. not a recipit for good health. Oh btw the stillsuit is not a good answer. At lease in this player opion

Comments

• ShrekislifeShrekislife Shrek's Grand Swamp Join Date: 2018-07-31 Member: 242594Members
    Good idea I guess, but is it rly top priority? The player can manage to survive without sleeping. What would the consequences be for not having one?
  • LavLav Minsk, Belarus Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241524Members
    Aren't you automatically doused with clear water when you pass the hatch? :-)
  • PocketNerdPocketNerd Dragon Falls Join Date: 2018-07-24 Member: 242442Members
    The question I ask is a serious one. We need cleaning facilities .The Human body wont stay healthy if it is in saltwater all the time. All that salt will have an adverse effect on our skin weaking us. If you reply that the diving suits protect the body from the saltwater then you have a human body that is never getting clean and is living in it`s own dirt ,sweat,dead skin,etc. not a recipit for good health. Oh btw the stillsuit is not a good answer. At lease in this player opion

A "hygiene" meter might be an interesting idea for a survival game, particularly one about being stranded or isolated from other human contact. But it might have made Subnautica too full of busywork to be fun — a lot of survival games feel like endless lists of chores. I'm fine with Ryley's bathing, tooth cleaning, and elimination being left quietly unstated. :)
  • reverasterreveraster Join Date: 2018-08-05 Member: 242680Members
    I agree with a previous post in that, considering the character can literally stay awake for a year, adding another "needs" meter might be overkill. That said I DO feel that we need more items for our bases. In lonely games like this, collectables and cool build-ables definitely help replay value.
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    I would disagree with bathing and hygiene, as PocketNerd said, that would be too tedious to be fun in the game. However, it would be interesting if there was a stamina bar that primarily determines swim speed (similar to how extreme hunger and thirst slows you down), and the only way to recover it is to sleep. Additionally, the single bed would need to be added from the beginning to allow players to restore their energy. Right now, the bed is only useful to advance time (skipping the night), and becomes pointless once you start spending days on end in the Lost River and Lava Zone.
  • BomooBomoo Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236923Members
    It'd be nice to include as a cosmetic base customization item, maybe with some simple interaction to it, just like the bed.

But as a survival parameter or otherwise as a game system? I dunno. I'd rather build and explore than have to worry about eliminating waste, you know?
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    What about for those of us who are hydrophobic?
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »

Just use a hoverfish to scrub yourself clean! And you can even eat it afterwards!
  • JimmyLanderJimmyLander Bulgaria Join Date: 2016-06-15 Member: 218623Members
    I support anything that represents decoration or luxury when it comes to base building! (And yes, a shower is a luxury in a survival game)
  • Rho17Rho17 México Join Date: 2018-07-12 Member: 242131Members

I was thinking the same yesterday, as I come to "ending" the game, I love spending time customizing my bases, I keep picking up all that useless lab equipment for the sake of it. I have separated rooms for diferent purposes like, cooking room, thinking room, do nothing room, watch dusk room... etc. And as I was going to sleep after spending most of the day building windows I thought to myself: I'm all dirty and sweaty and I'm going to bed with this swimsuit... I need a shower.

For me, it would be awesome if showering was just another mechanic like sleeping... spends time and just that. Not to make it a need like food or water. Spending entire days in the lost river and the lava zone taught me that even food is an annoyance at times, right now I think food, water and air are good enough needs.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited September 2018
    After you've let yourself go feral for months, you're so greasy and smelly that entering the water is like throwing burley to the sharks (in the Expansion I think)
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    If you get gross enough, all the carnivores should actively avoid you. And if they do bite you, they should get poisoned!

Nobody likes to think about it, but humans can get pretty vile. Excrete through our skin, eat things that are toxic to animals. Heck, look at spices. Humans developed spices because meat that starts to rot is ALSO pretty vile, but people wanted to eat it anyway. Enter spices- and presto, it tastes edible again! Still rotting, but chow down!

I mean, you're a peasant in medieval times, you get meat once a month and you NEED those calories. And you have nothing even approaching refrigeration. Not many choices- eat the meat and take your chances, or starve? Pass the pepper, yolo.

Critters that bite humans tend to spit them out, as well? Too lean (...generally...) and I can only speculate about the taste. Do humans taste edible to carnivores? Tasting bad would be a pretty good defense mechanism, as a species. Not as individual, but if a predator ate one, and it was horrid, and they had another option, they might leave other humans alone.
  • Cylus13Cylus13 Join Date: 2018-12-11 Member: 245453Members
    Lav wrote: »

And yet there are Three different beds to chose from in the game.
  • odst21711odst21711 Join Date: 2018-12-04 Member: 245139Members
    edited December 2018
    BlueBottle wrote: »

LOL

By the way, anybody find it disturbing that you sleep in your dive suit?
  • AltaziAltazi Join Date: 2019-01-16 Member: 248807Members
    In the survival modes, we must constantly eat and drink, or die. Yet in the seabases there are no toilets . . .
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    edited February 2019
    Lol, assuming you're saying that there should be a toilet or you'd by slowed down by inner waste, i agree.
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited February 2019
    It's a SciFi game. So a shower could be a grav or laser shower that only requires energy to clean a body (like a defabrication of dirt).

An other options would be something like a bacta tank (StarWars) or a cryo-pod. An interior piece that might also include a med station. This way, you wouldn't have to create medkits out of thin air.
  • EatMyShortsEatMyShorts Brazil Join Date: 2019-03-09 Member: 251609Members
    I don't know if adding "comestic" stuff like that would do any good to a game that already suffers from serious performance issues.
  • subnauticansubnautican bell 3111 dr Join Date: 2019-05-13 Member: 252865Members
    Lav wrote: »

Exactly